The Student Room Group
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website

Can I still change to Cardiff after accepting a unconditional from somewhere else?

Hi I put Cardiff as my insurance for history and politics but accepted a unconditional from another university. I was wondering if I got the grades for Cardiff can I withdraw from that Uni after results day and switch to Cardiff?

Thanks
Original post by Yahani2018
Hi I put Cardiff as my insurance for history and politics but accepted a unconditional from another university. I was wondering if I got the grades for Cardiff can I withdraw from that Uni after results day and switch to Cardiff?

Thanks

If you now have an unconditional firm then your insurance is no longer valid. Your only way to swap to Cardiff would be to ask your firm to place you into clearing (takes on average 24-48 hours after asking) and then apply back to Cardiff through clearing if they still have space.
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
If you now have an unconditional firm then your insurance is no longer valid. Your only way to swap to Cardiff would be to ask your firm to place you into clearing (takes on average 24-48 hours after asking) and then apply back to Cardiff through clearing if they still have space.

Agreed ^ just as this person said.

You’ll have to remove your application and reapply. If you did this in the last 24 hours, UCAS may be able to help.
Original post by MKaur18
Agreed ^ just as this person said.

You’ll have to remove your application and reapply. If you did this in the last 24 hours, UCAS may be able to help.

The OP should NOT withdraw.

If they made their firm/insurance choices in the last 14 days then UCAS can swap their choices over the phone. But they don’t want to swap choices until they know their grades.
Reply 4
Original post by PQ

If they made their firm/insurance choices in the last 14 days then UCAS can swap their choices over the phone. But they don’t want to swap choices until they know their grades.

Yeah
As above - if you are holding only an Unconditional Firm, thats it. Come Results Day that is where you are going. This is WHY Unis offer U places to those still at school - it locks you in and cuts down all your options to go elsewhere. And this is why is isnt a great idea to accept it.

The only other avenue open to you (now) is to phone your ex-Insurance, and find out if they would be prepared to remake that offer in Extra. If yes, this would mean you would have to withdraw from your now-Firm choice and reapply to the other Uni via Extra.

Or of course, on Results day you can cancel you UCAS application, not go anywhere this year and reapply next year.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by PQ

Exactly, so on clearing to enter it they have to withdraw their application and if there’s any places they’ll reapply on results day to the uni if they have spaces.
Original post by MKaur18
Exactly, so on clearing to enter it they have to withdraw their application and if there’s any places they’ll reapply on results day to the uni if they have spaces.

withdrawing their application would take them out of UCAS altogether for 2018 entry. To be placed into clearing the OP would need to ask their firm choice to place them into clearing.

Quick Reply