The Student Room Group

I can't decide which uni to choose. Please help.

So, I am in the fortunate position to have 4 unconditional offers to do sound design/music technology. Don't even ask me how - I'm still surprised.

My top two choices are greenwich and gloucestershire. The trouble is I REALLY can't seem to make a decision. I've made spreadsheets, compared everything, visited both areas. I just can't commit to one. With the deadline for making the choice coming very soon... i need help.

Any advice? It's really appreciated!
Reply 1
I feel like i'm in a very similar position to you. Even though I have applied to different uni's and courses, I am stuck between two aswell so I feel your pain. Try and imagine which uni you could you see yourself at more. If not flip a coin, sounds crazy but if you're satisfied or relieved by the decision the coin made for you, then go with it. On the other hand, if the realist of the coin toss leaves you uneasy and even makes you wonder why you used a coin toss to decide such an important decision in the first place, then go with the other choice instead. Your "gut feeling" alerted you to the right decision. Easier said than done, consider it as a last resort but you will have to choose at some point.
Have a look at some of their social media places. Sounds like a daft way to decide something so important, but realistically, if they are all equal to you at the moment course-wise/educationally, and looking further at this does not help you to decide, have a look at the 'vibe' they have, because ultimately they are going to be living there for multiple years, and you need to be able to feel at home. Good luck :smile:
Congratulations first I know this is not an easy decision to make and there are so many factors when choosing the university. First of all make sure that you know how each year and modules are assessed such as is it majority coursework or exams? Is it group work you will soon hate group work unless you been blessed with people who do all their effort into it and you all get the same grade that you all deserve. Or the majority of the time with group work where everyone does effort expect for that one person who rocks up and put their name on it and everyone including that person gets a first. Please also consider the mental health support. Are there enough councillors? Is their a Nightline? Social life with what societies are their available for you? Career people are they good and supportive or just seem like it but not really? Make sure you are financially ok with living in halls etc.
Reply 4
Original post by DonoLad
I feel like i'm in a very similar position to you. Even though I have applied to different uni's and courses, I am stuck between two aswell so I feel your pain. Try and imagine which uni you could you see yourself at more. If not flip a coin, sounds crazy but if you're satisfied or relieved by the decision the coin made for you, then go with it. On the other hand, if the realist of the coin toss leaves you uneasy and even makes you wonder why you used a coin toss to decide such an important decision in the first place, then go with the other choice instead. Your "gut feeling" alerted you to the right decision. Easier said than done, consider it as a last resort but you will have to choose at some point.

Thanks for this and I honestly think that's not such a bad idea. Good luck with your choice too!
Reply 5
Original post by gingerbread10000
Have a look at some of their social media places. Sounds like a daft way to decide something so important, but realistically, if they are all equal to you at the moment course-wise/educationally, and looking further at this does not help you to decide, have a look at the 'vibe' they have, because ultimately they are going to be living there for multiple years, and you need to be able to feel at home. Good luck :smile:

Good idea. I guess I could take a look at their videos and stuff too
Reply 6
Original post by Joe2Jonas
Congratulations first I know this is not an easy decision to make and there are so many factors when choosing the university. First of all make sure that you know how each year and modules are assessed such as is it majority coursework or exams? Is it group work you will soon hate group work unless you been blessed with people who do all their effort into it and you all get the same grade that you all deserve. Or the majority of the time with group work where everyone does effort expect for that one person who rocks up and put their name on it and everyone including that person gets a first. Please also consider the mental health support. Are there enough councillors? Is their a Nightline? Social life with what societies are their available for you? Career people are they good and supportive or just seem like it but not really? Make sure you are financially ok with living in halls etc.

Thanks for these tips. I haven't even considered that group work may be an issue and I see why. Same story for the support lines and stuff!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending