KaiahR
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi! I am currently studying A level English Literature and I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the representation of Women in Frankenstein by Mary Shelley? I am comparing it to the presentation of Women in Brooklyn by Colm Toibin. Any comments are welcome!!
student23451
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Shelley highlights the ‘importance of diversity of gender' in her novel by giving the women enough time in the book to make an impression on the reader, however because of the date it was written, there obviously was not a need for women as much as men in novels.
stephjenkins2000
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I worked with a professor a couple of years ago called Christopher Tyler who worked closely on the text of 'Brooklyn' by Colm Toibin. He said it was one of the most powerful stories for all women, but most particularly the character of Rose. He once said that she is arguably the most important character for power and control that women have in the novel due to the fact she basically sacrificed her life for Eilis to make a new one. Hope this helps x
stephjenkins2000
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by stephjenkins2000)
I worked with a professor a couple of years ago called Christopher Tyler who worked closely on the text of 'Brooklyn' by Colm Toibin. He said it was one of the most powerful stories for all women, but most particularly the character of Rose. He once said that she is arguably the most important character for power and control that women have in the novel due to the fact she basically sacrificed her life for Eilis to make a new one. Hope this helps x
I agree! Always thought she was a much under appreciated character
KellyFiallo18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by KaiahR)
Hi! I am currently studying A level English Literature and I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the representation of Women in Frankenstein by Mary Shelley? I am comparing it to the presentation of Women in Brooklyn by Colm Toibin. Any comments are welcome!!
When I read 'Brooklyn' the most heart breaking part for me was when Eilis begins to blame herself for the death of her sister, which I believe shows a sense of blame among female character that tend to resonate throughout history don't you think? One of the most relatable pieces of text ever to be written I believe personally.
KaiahR
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by KellyFiallo18)
When I read 'Brooklyn' the most heart breaking part for me was when Eilis begins to blame herself for the death of her sister, which I believe shows a sense of blame among female character that tend to resonate throughout history don't you think? One of the most relatable pieces of text ever to be written I believe personally.
Yes! thank you! I believe that part to be one of the most emotional and moving parts of the book as well.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (627)
33.66%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (784)
42.08%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (368)
19.75%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (84)
4.51%

Watched Threads