Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm studying for my exam and this question came up the practice paper. If i could get a detailed answer it would be great, thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Is this gcse biology?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    1. The cell membrane is composed of a phospholipid bilayer, so that substances that are lipophilic are more easily let through.
    2. Because of the fact that the membrane restricts passage of charged molecules [which tend to be polar], there is again a selectivity. Whether a molecule will be charged or uncharged at a particular pH depends on its PkA, and can be determined using the Hendelsen-Hasselbach equation.
    3. There are pores in the membrane that have a finite size, so only molecules with a mass number below a certain figure can pass through.
    4. The membrane has some active transport mechanisms [based on receptors which can be glycolipid/glycoprotein in nature] such as Na+, K+ - ATPase (sodium potassium pump) that fuels the exchange of 3 Na+ ions for 2 K+ ions. There are similar active transport mechanisms for absorption of digested food in the intestinal endothelial cells (for A*: e.g. for absorption of basic amino acids (those with extra NH2 group) e.g. histidine - a defect in this mechanism causes Hartnup disease).

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 27, 2018

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.