The Student Room Group

Afc Harrogate paras tips

Im 16 and have applied and had a interview for afc Harrogate.Ive picked to join the paras/parachute regiment can anyone give me some tips to get fit before hand.
Reply 1
Original post by Nathan_craig
Im 16 and have applied and had a interview for afc Harrogate.Ive picked to join the paras/parachute regiment can anyone give me some tips to get fit before hand.

do lots of hill walking with heavy loads.

Fill up a bag with some sort of weight (I prefer sandbags as they don't dig into your back but you can put bricks in if you want) and just walk up and down a hill or a steep road. You can even do this in your house going up and down stairs

Just lift dumbbells and barbells to build upper body strength. And of course do lots of long distance running.

Research what they make you do in P Coy and in addition to what I've told you above, mould your fitness around that.
Reply 2
Original post by e^iπ
do lots of hill walking with heavy loads.

Fill up a bag with some sort of weight (I prefer sandbags as they don't dig into your back but you can put bricks in if you want) and just walk up and down a hill or a steep road. You can even do this in your house going up and down stairs

Just lift dumbbells and barbells to build upper body strength. And of course do lots of long distance running.

Research what they make you do in P Coy and in addition to what I've told you above, mould your fitness around that.

OP, this is all well and good...

BUT...

As a 16 year old, you're not going to be doing P Coy selection tomorrow, and pushing yourself too hard when you're young will only injure you.

General fitness - cardio based - is a better place to start. And you won't kill yourself in the process.
Reply 3
Original post by Drewski
OP, this is all well and good...

BUT...

As a 16 year old, you're not going to be doing P Coy selection tomorrow, and pushing yourself too hard when you're young will only injure you.

General fitness - cardio based - is a better place to start. And you won't kill yourself in the process.

Ok as an 18 year old maybe I went a bit overboard with some of the suggestions, but I still stand by the statement that hillwalking with a load is one of the best ways to prepare you for the army. Of course it needn't be 100lb loads hiking across the Brecon Beacons but a load of say 15lb-25lb is quite good to begin with
Tbh, prior to going to ITC, there’s no huge need to beast yourself tabbing over hills with dead weight. Loaded marches are introduced gradually through training and you’re issued enough equipment to make the weight expected rather than loading up with dead weight that can be a bugger to carry and **** your back up.

Ensuring a high standard of all round fitness, with a focus on cardio is the way forwards. You don’t need to be P company ready on week one day one.
Reply 5
Original post by e^iπ
Ok as an 18 year old maybe I went a bit overboard with some of the suggestions, but I still stand by the statement that hillwalking with a load is one of the best ways to prepare you for the army. Of course it needn't be 100lb loads hiking across the Brecon Beacons but a load of say 15lb-25lb is quite good to begin with

Best will in the world though, he's looking to join the foundation college, not the full time Army. So it's a stepping stone.
Original post by Nathan_craig

Good choice mate! That's the route I am going for too! I would suggest downloading the 100% army fit app.
Reply 7
Do you have to do PRAC before going to Harrogate if you choose the Para’s?
Reply 8
Do you have to do PRAC before going to Harrogate if you choose the Para’s?
Hi did u know if they give u extra help to pass p company at harrogate?
Reply 10
Original post by Sismdhdjen
Hi did u know if they give u extra help to pass p company at harrogate?

Not specifically. You'll do the 49-week course at Harrogate, but that is aimed at anyone doing a short Phase 2 course and not just someone applying for the Paras.

Quick Reply

Latest