The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Male bump
Female bump
Gender is a social construct.
Sex is the scientific label for the distinct differences between men and women.
There's not 63 genders or any number...it's a psychological disorder...
It doesn't really matter to anyone...
If you identify as a guy...you identify as a guy..
If you identify as a girl...you identify as a girl...
No one really cares...and whether it be rude or disrespectful...a lot of us will not use preferred pronouns as it is an idea most of us disagree with...

The idea of gender is officially a dead meme...there was some pretty gd hype in 2016, but no one cares now...

People are starting to think some memes never die because of Trump..
He defied the impossible and actually succeeded...
Whereas, the debate on gender amounted to nothing but a bunch of dreadful BuzzFeed videos...
Original post by JamesLeo1
Gender is a social construct.
Sex is the scientific label for the distinct differences between men and women.
There's not 63 genders or any number...it's a psychological disorder...
It doesn't really matter to anyone...
If you identify as a guy...you identify as a guy..
If you identify as a girl...you identify as a girl...
No one really cares...and whether it be rude or disrespectful...a lot of us will not use preferred pronouns as it is an idea most of us disagree with...

The idea of gender is officially a dead meme...there was some pretty gd hype in 2016, but no one cares now...

People are starting to think some memes never die because of Trump..
He defied the impossible and actually succeeded...
Whereas, the debate on gender amounted to nothing but a bunch of dreadful BuzzFeed videos...

What I mean is, do people who are not male or female really exist?
Original post by Revision Boiii
What I mean is, do people who are not male or female really exist?

Yes, they're are people who identify as non-binary...
But the government will never recognise this...as they will forever remain the same sex...
*sad trombone*
There are 752 genders give or take.
the whole male/female schtick belongs firmly in the 20th century. anyone can identify as anything in today's world. species/gender/airframe... it's up to you.
Uhh no ones really helpful :frown:
2 genders only friends
Original post by unknown_usr
2 genders only friends

(I love shibes:3 )
sex =/= gender

i'm born female but my gender is weird. i'm ok people using she/her pronouns, but, mainly bcs of my short hair, i'm not keen on he/him. they/them is cool. my gender problems have resulted in me hating my breast size a lot, as i want to come off my androgynous. it's annoying af but i never mention it as i fear i won't be taken seriously :frown:
Even biological sex is not that clear cut - some species of fungus I believe have tens of thousands of sexes. Parrotfish are pretty well known to "transition" depending on the dynamics of the group/harem (e.g. if the male of the harem dies the dominant female will become biologically male). Without the lens of the human heternormative gender/sex binary, it makes more sense to categorise bees into three sexes.

Just because you don't have a PhD in Biosciences doesn't mean you can't use a shred of critical reasoning to understand that the matter may be more nuanced than presented in GCSE Biology. I mean, we all accept in GCSE Chemistry that electrons are little balls flying around a central ball of nucleus - you quickly learn in A-level this is just a simplified model, and the actual reality of the matter is more complex (and in a chemistry degree, you'll learn how much more complex it is...).

At the very least you should be able to take stock of the limitations of your knowledge and not willfully use that ignorance to hurt other people. Being nice and respecting other peoples identities isn't a difficult academic concept, it's something most people learn from disney movies at the age of four.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by yourjewishpal
sex =/= gender

i'm born female but my gender is weird. i'm ok people using she/her pronouns, but, mainly bcs of my short hair, i'm not keen on he/him. they/them is cool. my gender problems have resulted in me hating my breast size a lot, as i want to come off my androgynous. it's annoying af but i never mention it as i fear i won't be taken seriously :frown:

I’m sorry I don’t mean to offend you, but what do you mean by calling you ‘them’? Is it like you are 2 people trapped inside on body?
Original post by artful_lounger
Even biological sex is not that clear cut - some species of fungus I believe have tens of thousands of sexes. Parrotfish are pretty well known to "transition" depending on the dynamics of the group/harem (e.g. if the male of the harem dies the dominant female will become biologically male). Without the lens of the human heternormative gender/sex binary, it makes more sense to categorise bees into three sexes.

Just because you don't have a PhD in Biosciences doesn't mean you can't use a shred of critical reasoning to understand that the matter may be more nuanced than presented in GCSE Biology. I mean, we all accept in GCSE Chemistry that electrons are little balls flying around a central ball of nucleus - you quickly learn in A-level this is just a simplified model, and the actual reality of the matter is more complex (and in a chemistry degree, you'll learn how much more complex it is...).

At the very least you should be able to take stock of the limitations of your knowledge and not willfully use that ignorance to hurt other people. Being nice and respecting other peoples identities isn't a difficult academic concept, it's something most people learn from disney movies at the age of four.

I know that physical sex is is you have a a male genitalia or/(and?) a female genitalia.
I know that booigical sex is xx, xy, xxy, etc.
But gender.....it is who you identify in your head - female, male, both, neither, what else? It’s so confusing. What do people identify them self’s other than those 4?
I know that physical sex is is you have a a male genitalia or/(and?) a female genitalia.
I know that booigical sex is xx, xy, xxy, etc.
But gender.....it is who you identify in your head - female, male, both, neither, what else? It’s so confusing. What do people identify them self’s other than those 4?

If you view gender as a spectrum between the two points male and female (which is but one interpretation) then there are infinite points between the two that can be indicated.

I'm not going to construct the real line for you to prove it.
I’m sorry I don’t mean to offend you, but what do you mean by calling you ‘them’? Is it like you are 2 people trapped inside on body?

no, its used in a singular form, which you can do. i find it more polite to refer to someone as they/them until you know their gender/pronouns, which is why i don't mind having those pronouns. also bcs idk what my gender is so there's the option for a gender-neutral pronoun
For the same reason that we look at atoms as little balls surrounded by other flying balls. It's unphysical and a poor approximation except where you're demonstrating the most general principles at the lowest level - but for this purpose it is suitable and does't require teaching quantum mechanics and linear algebra to year 7 students. The same argument applies to biological principles with reference to relevant aspects of developmental biology.

If you want to learn more detail about it, you should continue with the subject until you are satisfied with your knowledge on the topic.
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
There are 752 genders give or take.
Yep - some give, some take.