The Student Room Group

"Friend" still has not paid me back!!!

So I went out with a friend to eat and she said she left her purse at home so I ended up paying for her meal. Then last minute she decided we should take a uber home and asked me to book it with my phone. She said she would pay me back, implied that she would as soon as she got home. However, it has been 3 weeks now. I reminded her a week ago and she said she had forgotten and would send it via bank transfer, but I haven't seen anything in my statement.

Should I remind her again or learn my lesson and ditch her as a friend.
Maybe she really forgot. Why would you end a friendship over a small amount of money. I'm sure you'll go out again once and then you let her pay. Chill.
How old are you? Genuine question.

Your thought process is rather queer.
Reply 3
She owed me money from a previous time and never paid me back. I decided to let it go and never brought it up. I told her before we went out that money was tight so I expect her to pay me back. I don't think I'm being uptight.
If you make a habit of letting people slide over repaying debts...then they won't repay them. Remind them politely the next day the payment is due, don't tolerate flakiness with your money but expect a bit of griping if they're actively avoiding it.
that reminds me a friend from years ago never paid me the money for a pancake... it it annoys you that much as her again it is a bit annoying if it happens multiple times but just don't lend her money again or speak to her about it rather than ditching her as a friend. money is only paper right friendships are worth more (that was a bit cringey sorry)
Remind them. With a huge army, 70,000 should be enough.
Keep reminding them to pay you back, or let them pay for something of yours. Next time, don’t lend out money that you can’t afford to lose, it’s not worth the headache. Just read that she did the same thing on a previous time. Definitely don’t lend this friend money again!
(edited 5 years ago)
Just keep reminding them about it. She probably thinks that because she got away with not repaying you once you'll let her do it again. I would remind her to pay you back every day until she does. If she keeps making excuses just say that it's not okay to not repay someone when you've said repeatedly you will.
Original post by Notoriety

What is queer about it?

Excuse me sir could you tone it down with the homophobic language
I've never considered her a trustworthy friend, not for money but for other reasons. This incident has made me just want to end the friendship cause although we've never argued, I don't think she is a good friend.

I know I should ask her again but I feel uncomfortable asking her repeatedly (as silly as it sounds). I find this situation so awkward.
Original post by Anonymous
I've never considered her a trustworthy friend, not for money but for other reasons. This incident has made me just want to end the friendship cause although we've never argued, I don't think she is a good friend.

I know I should ask her again but I feel uncomfortable asking her repeatedly (as silly as it sounds). I find this situation so awkward.

If you don’t consider her trustworthy or a good friend, then yes ending the friendship or distancing yourself from her is a good idea. I don’t like to be cynical but it’s possible that she is using you for your money, or other things.

No need to feel uncomfortable for asking her to return something of yours. If she does not, let it go, learn your lesson and distance yourself from her.
Original post by Sataris
Excuse me sir could you tone it down with the homophobic language

Is this meant to be some sort of joke?
He was correct.
Original post by 999tigger
Is this meant to be some sort of joke?
He was correct.

I'll give you one guess
Original post by 999tigger
What is queer about it?

Well, asking what you do in this situation. It seems rather common sensical that you request your money back till you get it back. Or set it off by making them pay for you.

And the fact they're making such a big deal out of it, "ditch her as a friend". Seems overkill.
Well, asking what you do in this situation. It seems rather common sensical that you request your money back till you get it back. Or set it off by making them pay for you.

And the fact they're making such a big deal out of it, "ditch her as a friend". Seems overkill.

Well she did say above that the friend isn’t trustworthy in other ways and this isn’t the first time she has failed to pay her back. It’s just common decency to pay a friend back, you shouldn’t even have to ask for your money back tbh.
u have, in principle, lost all those money.
Original post by Abcdefghijk123
Well she did say above that the friend isn’t trustworthy in other ways and this isn’t the first time she has failed to pay her back. It’s just common decency to pay a friend back, you shouldn’t even have to ask for your money back tbh.

Maybe there is more context which supports the grave reaction, but even feeling betrayed on account of a friend's not paying you back suggests you're young and sheltered. Anyone with some life experience will have had this experience several times, on both sides. It happens when people are busy and life goes on. It is not a pernicious deceit.
Reply 19
Original post by Anonymous
So I went out with a friend to eat and she said she left her purse at home so I ended up paying for her meal. Then last minute she decided we should take a uber home and asked me to book it with my phone. She said she would pay me back, implied that she would as soon as she got home. However, it has been 3 weeks now. I reminded her a week ago and she said she had forgotten and would send it via bank transfer, but I haven't seen anything in my statement.

Should I remind her again or learn my lesson and ditch her as a friend.

A guy on my course once asked to borrow £1 and said he would pay me back.

I asked for it the next day and he refused saying he was never going to pay it back.

I started cussing him infront of everyone calling him a pauper etc...

I never got my pound back but I did get people laughing at him

today I saw some chav take a guys lidl shopping bag, his chav associate was pleading with him to give it back but the chav kept saying "your brother owes me £230 quid" and refusing to give him the shopping.

the second chav was too beta in demanding his bag back and did not show enough backbone and readiness to escalate.
and it ended up costing him that bag [whatever was in there]

perhaps take a leaf out of the 1st chav's book and take her brothers/sisters stuff ....or take her stuff till she pays it back lol

Quick Reply

Latest