The Student Room Group

Gap year plans relevant to History degree?

Hi,

I have a place to study History at University, but now I want to take a gap year. I need to defer my place, but apparently, it is better if I do this with some activities on my itinerary directly connected to my History degree. I have loads of things I want to such, including volunteering etc., but nothing directly connected. Any ideas?

Original post by SophieRoe
Hi,

I have a place to study History at University, but now I want to take a gap year. I need to defer my place, but apparently, it is better if I do this with some activities on my itinerary directly connected to my History degree. I have loads of things I want to such, including volunteering etc., but nothing directly connected. Any ideas?

Short courses (nautical archaeology?), fieldwork (archaeology dig?), history-based travel (Cyprus?)

As well as the obvious - reading, working, travelling, MOOCs, and just doing fun stuff too!
Original post by SophieRoe
Hi,

Volunteering in a museum/heritage centre/national trust/English Heritage property
really going anywhere your history degree might take you, historical cathederals, national meusems... something to embellish your future history interests. hahaha bit ironic but i think you get it.
Have you thought about getting a internship at Kensington Palace or a job at Buckingham Palace? V hard to get into tho!
It wont actually make any difference to the course what you do during your gap year.

History isnt a vocational course so its not like you will pick up any useful skills. Its an academic course so unless you spend the entire year reading and writing essays, there isnt anything you can do that is actually relevant to the degree.

Work, do some travel, see bits of the world and have some fun. Next summer,read some books and get your head back into academic reading.

Enjoy your gap year.

Quick Reply