The Student Room Group

Buy own printer for uni (biomedical science)

Hey!

Should I bother buying a printer? I'm doing biomedical science and I don't know how much paper I will be printing out :s-smilie:

Thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MarshmallowStars
Hey!

Should I bother buying a printer? I'm doing biomedical science and I don't know how much paper I will be printing out :s-smilie:

Thoughts?

Hello.

In the long run it will work out cheaper if u buy ur own printer :smile:
Other than my final report I didn't need to print a single document for my MBA. YMMV, obviously.
Original post by choco_monsterxo
Hello.

In the long run it will work out cheaper if u buy ur own printer :smile:

You think so? Even for my course (biomed)?
Original post by Duncan2012
Other than my final report I didn't need to print a single document for my MBA. YMMV, obviously.

Ahhh...nice one! and yea, I guess so.
Reply 5
Hey!

Thoughts?

It depends on how you study. Personally I like to have things printed and work from paper rather than a computer, if you’re the opposite you won’t be printing too much! Even so, printing at uni is relatively cheap. You’d probably spend more on the actual printer and then paper and ink refill than you would on just printing at uni.
Original post by georgem93
It depends on how you study. Personally I like to have things printed and work from paper rather than a computer, if you’re the opposite you won’t be printing too much! Even so, printing at uni is relatively cheap. You’d probably spend more on the actual printer and then paper and ink refill than you would on just printing at uni.

Same! I think I work better writing things down than typing. But tbf, convenience is also something I'm considering.
Aren't there any cheap printers left that you can refill with little bottles of ink and syringes?
It depends a lot on your individual course/university. Some departments/courses, as noted above, provide a fixed amount of printing credit every year. Others do not. Even within individual universities this varies - at Exeter, UG Physicists had I think £10-20 of credit each year (I think they got more in 3rd/4th years) while the engineers had none. At Southampton in Maths we had I think £5 in first year.

You can get reasonably cheap printers these days, although the return on investment for them may be less good than you think due to poorer quality and similar issues. I would note that for BMS, you will probably have fairly regular labs, for which you will be expected to write lab reports. At the very least, you will probably need to print a cover/submission sheet for each one, if not typesetting the whole report. As such, it may be a good idea to get one since you may do more printing than other courses/you expect.

It may be worth considering a printer with a built in scanner or photocopier as well, as you might be expected to record results in the lab itself but include these rough results in your report somehow - it may be acceptable to include a scanned version, which if so would probably better than stapling a possibly by the point of handing in quite battered bit of graph paper...however your mileage may vary on this. On the photocopying side, you may want to photocopy sections of notes to annotate or create a copy of your/a friends notes if one of you misses a lecture due to illness or similar.

In all cases, I would suggest waiting until you get to the uni and have your induction to find out what facilities you have available to you. You can probably get one Amazon Prime-d if need be in the first/second week, along with paper and ink, ensuring you don't get something that is more expensive and has more features than needed or less so on either front.
I've just finished second year of a biomedical science degree and all I have ever been required to print is lab schedules in the few modules where the lecturers didn't provide physical copies. The only physical work my lecturers asked for was posters that needed to be done through the uni's own printing services due to size - everything else we submitted was digitally through Moodle/TurnItIn. So it would probably be better to wait to find out how they prefer you to submit work before you purchase one.
(edited 5 years ago)
Ahhh okay. Thank you!

That's good to know that there (might be) enough printer credit for the year. And yea that's nice, but the walk to uni for me is 20 minutes ahaha
Original post by TheStupidMoon
Aren't there any cheap printers left that you can refill with little bottles of ink and syringes?

I have never heard of that kind of printer before
Reply 12
Don't really need it for first year (biomed at Manchester)
Original post by sinfonietta
I've just finished second year of a biomedical science degree and all I have ever been required to print is lab schedules in the few modules where the lecturers didn't provide physical copies. The only physical work my lecturers asked for was posters that needed to be done through the uni's own printing services due to size - everything else we submitted was digitally through Moodle/TurnItIn. So it would probably be better to wait to find out how they prefer you to submit work before you purchase one.

Thank you so much! That's very insightful on the course.
And yea, I think I'll wait then
Original post by artful_lounger
It depends a lot on your individual course/university. Some departments/courses, as noted above, provide a fixed amount of printing credit every year. Others do not. Even within individual universities this varies - at Exeter, UG Physicists had I think £10-20 of credit each year (I think they got more in 3rd/4th years) while the engineers had none. At Southampton in Maths we had I think £5 in first year.

You can get reasonably cheap printers these days, although the return on investment for them may be less good than you think due to poorer quality and similar issues. I would note that for BMS, you will probably have fairly regular labs, for which you will be expected to write lab reports. At the very least, you will probably need to print a cover/submission sheet for each one, if not typesetting the whole report. As such, it may be a good idea to get one since you may do more printing than other courses/you expect.

It may be worth considering a printer with a built in scanner or photocopier as well, as you might be expected to record results in the lab itself but include these rough results in your report somehow - it may be acceptable to include a scanned version, which if so would probably better than stapling a possibly by the point of handing in quite battered bit of graph paper...however your mileage may vary on this. On the photocopying side, you may want to photocopy sections of notes to annotate or create a copy of your/a friends notes if one of you misses a lecture due to illness or similar.

In all cases, I would suggest waiting until you get to the uni and have your induction to find out what facilities you have available to you. You can probably get one Amazon Prime-d if need be in the first/second week, along with paper and ink, ensuring you don't get something that is more expensive and has more features than needed or less so on either front.

Thank you! I will wait until I'm actually at the uni then :smile:
Original post by nombo
Don't really need it for first year (biomed at Manchester)

Ahh good! You think it's similar for Sheffield though?
Reply 16
You think so? Even for my course (biomed)?

I'm doing Biomed and a printer is a waste of time. Most things will be submitted online so the few things you have to print isn't worth it.
Original post by Bio 7
I'm doing Biomed and a printer is a waste of time. Most things will be submitted online so the few things you have to print isn't worth it.

ahhh okay..thank you! I'll keep that in mine :biggrin:
Third year biochemist and I wouldn’t recommend it - at least not at my uni.
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
Third year biochemist and I wouldn’t recommend it - at least not at my uni.

Thank you! Happy that there's a general agreement of not buying one on this thread ahaha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending