The Student Room Group

Getting Broadband for new student accommodation

I'm moving into new student accommodation next year and pretty much everything is sorted out. The only thing I've not sorted out yet is broadband and I'm not exactly sure when I should sort this out, or even how truthfully XD

I was wondering if someone would be able to give me some advice on this subject? When should I actually get broadband for my new accommodation? Should I do it as soon as possible or closer to my move in date,
And also what do I do? XD
Original post by codelyoko373
I'm moving into new student accommodation next year and pretty much everything is sorted out. The only thing I've not sorted out yet is broadband and I'm not exactly sure when I should sort this out, or even how truthfully XD

I was wondering if someone would be able to give me some advice on this subject? When should I actually get broadband for my new accommodation? Should I do it as soon as possible or closer to my move in date,
And also what do I do? XD

is it a shared place? or is it a one bed place? are there any mentions of broadband in your tenancy agreement ?
Original post by claireestelle
is it a shared place? or is it a one bed place? are there any mentions of broadband in your tenancy agreement ?

I'm sharing it with 2 other people and no there isn't from what I remember. Everything else is handled such as water, electricity and such but not broadband.
I'm sharing it with 2 other people and no there isn't from what I remember. Everything else is handled such as water, electricity and such but not broadband.

Unless you go for mobile broadband which is quite pricey and can have download limits, you'll need to sign up with a provider for the whole household so you need to discuss it with the 2 other people. For three of you if you can get it then at least basic fibre broadband would be a good idea.
Unless you go for mobile broadband which is quite pricey and can have download limits, you'll need to sign up with a provider for the whole household so you need to discuss it with the 2 other people. For three of you if you can get it then at least basic fibre broadband would be a good idea.

Would you suggest I do it as soon as possible?
Would you suggest I do it as soon as possible?

when are you moving in? A month before is normally plenty of time to get a switchover done, sometimes you'll need to be in to get it set up though.
when are you moving in? A month before is normally plenty of time to get a switchover done, sometimes you'll need to be in to get it set up though.

It's quite awhile from now, it'll be in September when I'll move in.
You need about two weeks notice and some providers offer 9 months as a special student package. Check sites like uswitch.co.uk, broadbandchoices.co.uk and money supermarket I think offer deals. Just google it and look for a student deal if you are not going to live there during the summer holidays.
It's quite awhile from now, it'll be in September when I'll move in.

setting it up in august would be plenty of time :smile:
setting it up in august would be plenty of time :smile:

That's good then :smile:, I just wasn't sure how long broadband actually takes to set up. Didn't want to get broadband in August and then have it take 4 months or something XD
That's good then :smile:, I just wasn't sure how long broadband actually takes to set up. Didn't want to get broadband in August and then have it take 4 months or something XD

I've moved a few times and it's never taken more than a couple of weeks so leaving a month should be fine.

Quick Reply

Latest