The Student Room Group

Is it too late to do a decent dissertation now?

My dissertation (8000 words plus appendix’s) is due on 7th May and I havent started it. Well ive done 5 lines of the introduction but Im not sure what im going to do for the lit review and methodology etc though i know the topic. I gave up on my supervisor after she didnt reply to 3 emails i sent her. I also have an exam on the 9th May. Is it possible to get a good mark given the time I have or should i just aim for a low pass now?
Reply 1
Yeah, you're screwed. A week and a bit isn't enough time to get a "decent" dissertation mark unless you have all your research and planning already done and it's just transferring it to text, but it would still be pushing it. You could get a pass or scrape a Desmond at this point but highly unlikely you'll get a 2:1.

Why have you left such a critical piece of work so late?
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2
Without the exam I would say possible. With the exam and the time you're going to need revising, impossible.
Reply 3
Original post by UWS
Yeah, you're screwed. A week and a bit isn't enough time to get a "decent" dissertation mark unless you have all your research and planning already done and it's just transferring it to text, but it would still be pushing it. You could get a pass or scrape a Desmond at this point but highly unlikely you'll get a 2:1.

Why have you left such a critical piece of work so late?

I had an exam last week which I dedicated my time to revising for but then I've gone and messed that up as I realised I didn't focus on the questions, so I might as well of used that time for the dissertation : /. The time I have spent of the dissertation has been figuring out how to do a lit search I asked for one to one tuition but was told I should book on a session first so I was pretty much waiting for that and revising for the exam in the mean time. I should have started other sections of the dissertation first.
Reply 4
Original post by Gnatt27
Without the exam I would say possible. With the exam and the time you're going to need revising, impossible.

I think I’l just do the main sections then get them done properly and miss other sections worth 5% or so out

Quick Reply

Latest