amyl17
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Can someone explain what protein synthesis is, as i don't understand it.
macpatgh-Sheldon
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi,

It's about making protein from amino acids by joining them end to end with peptide bonds. A peptide bond [CO-NH] is formed when the carboxyl group (-COOH) of one a.a. reacts with the amino group (-NH2) of another a.a. dropping off water. (= condensation reaction)

Protein synthesis occurs on the ribosomes (have you seen a pic of a cell that shows RER [rough endoplasmic reticulum)? see pic below Did you see little blobs on it (1000s)? Ok those are ribosomes.

Name:  RER.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  33.2 KB

(cells that produce a lot of protein therefore have a rich [meaning not "loaded" but well-developed) RER. CAN YOU THINK OF CELLS LIKE THAT? ................................ ................ Go on ????????????????................ .... What proteins have you heard of? ...........................Go on!............................w ell done - enzymes so pancreas cells have lots of RER (why?........................... ......Yes they make enzymes and you know ALL enzymes are............................. ..............Good proteins. What other proteins do you know? ................................ ..........Think................. .............antibodies?? ....................Yes so plasma cells [that make antibodies] have lots of what? ..............................ye s you got it ...........................RER.

A molecule of mRNA (messenger RNA) attaches to the ribosome - the mRNA is copied from DNA in the nucleus so it carries the genrtic code for one protein as a series of a triplet codes (one triplet code = 3 nitrogen bases as nucleotides in a specific sequence = represents one a.a.).- tRNA (= transfer RNA) transfers the correct amino acid to the ribosome - it has an anticodon that attaches to the codon on mRNA.

The detailed .mechanism of protein synthesis is ingenious and very interesting (go through a video which I will upload for you soon on my site - in the meantime read up all you can on DNA, RNA and proteins/amino acids.

www,teachmebiology.com
amyl17
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by macpatelgh)
Hi,

It's about making protein from amino acids by joining them end to end with peptide bonds. A peptide bond [CO-NH] is formed when the carboxyl group (-COOH) of one a.a. reacts with the amino group (-NH2) of another a.a. dropping off water. (= condensation reaction)

Protein synthesis occurs on the ribosomes (have you seen a pic of a cell that shows RER [rough endoplasmic reticulum)? see pic below Did you see little blobs on it (1000s)? Ok those are ribosomes.

Name:  RER.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  33.2 KB

(cells that produce a lot of protein therefore have a rich [meaning not "loaded" but well-developed) RER. CAN YOU THINK OF CELLS LIKE THAT? ................................ ................ Go on ????????????????................ .... What proteins have you heard of? ...........................Go on!............................w ell done - enzymes so pancreas cells have lots of RER (why?........................... ......Yes they make enzymes and you know ALL enzymes are............................. ..............Good proteins. What other proteins do you know? ................................ ..........Think................. .............antibodies?? ....................Yes so plasma cells [that make antibodies] have lots of what? ..............................ye s you got it ...........................RER.

A molecule of mRNA (messenger RNA) attaches to the ribosome - the mRNA is copied from DNA in the nucleus so it carries the genrtic code for one protein as a series of a triplet codes (one triplet code = 3 nitrogen bases as nucleotides in a specific sequence = represents one a.a.).- tRNA (= transfer RNA) transfers the correct amino acid to the ribosome - it has an anticodon that attaches to the codon on mRNA.

The detailed .mechanism of protein synthesis is ingenious and very interesting (go through a video which I will upload for you soon on my site - in the meantime read up all you can on DNA, RNA and proteins/amino acids.

www,teachmebiology.com

Thank you ! That has really helped and i will check out the website.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (61)
17.13%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (99)
27.81%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (137)
38.48%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (48)
13.48%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (11)
3.09%

Watched Threads