The Student Room Group
Reply 1
*Katherine*
Hi
I'm not sure whether to start my ps for english with a quote because I'm not sure what kind of impression it gives. My mum thinks its pretentious but I'm not sure. So any comments are welcome
Thanx

Each personal statement is unique - it really depends on your own style, and I personally think it can be quite eyecatching as long as it is good and relevant to what you are saying. No more than one though!
Reply 2
hi, personally i think a quote or a definition makes a PS stand out from the crowd and if you're applying 2 oxbridge it provides a good starting point 4 interview. but u should make sure it is relevant to you. for example it could sum up why u love 2 study english, what it is about the subject that attracts u. try 2 find something unusual (maybe a quote from ur favourite novel?? if ur applying 4 english literature) but make sure u understand it, don't just include something because it sounds impressive.
also, if u do decide to include 1, your next couple of sentences should be a discussion of the quote, it needs to read well.
hope this helps, Ana xxx
Reply 3
Personally i'd value originality more than the use of quotes.
Reply 4
Gaz031
Personally i'd value originality more than the use of quotes.

me too :smile:
Reply 5
Thanx for your input so far. I was just wonderin if anyone knew generally what admissions tutors thought of it whether there is a general dislike of quotes or not. sorry if I sound obsessive I'm just trying to make sure I don't piss the admissions people off in my first line!
Reply 6
*Katherine*
Thanx for your input so far. I was just wonderin if anyone knew generally what admissions tutors thought of it whether there is a general dislike of quotes or not. sorry if I sound obsessive I'm just trying to make sure I don't piss the admissions people off in my first line!

I guess it will vary between the tutors - just as it varies between people here. If you want to be safe, I'd say don't use one cos while somebody might be put off by the fact that you have used a quote, it's unlikely like anyone is going to 'mark you down' if you haven't used one I would have thought.
Jenn xx
Reply 7
I think if you tell us what you have in mind, we'll be able to give better advice?
Reply 8
Adhsur
I think if you tell us what you have in mind, we'll be able to give better advice?

yeah let's steal it!

:biggrin:
Reply 9
An interesting paraphrase or a twist of a quote is always good... eg The argument that Law is reason free from passion is interesting when applied to.....xxx situation
Reply 10
I would agree with Geogger, make the quote your own in some way. The only reason that admissions tutors sometimes dislike quotes is if people don't have an opinion on them at all and don't demonstrate an understanding of it. It's simply lazy just to slap a famous saying at the top of your work with no discussion of it.
However, when done right it can look very impressive and show a deeper understanding of the subject and it's implications on the wider world.
Finally to stress too much about what admissions tutors want 2 c. They don't have a model PS in front of them, they are open to any interesting ideas/ thoughts that you present them with.
Ana xxx
Reply 11
I would agree with Geogger, make the quote your own in some way. The only reason that admissions tutors sometimes dislike quotes is if people don't have an opinion on them at all and don't demonstrate an understanding of it. It's simply lazy just to slap a famous saying at the top of your work with no discussion of it.
However, when done right it can look very impressive and show a deeper understanding of the subject and it's implications on the wider world.
Finally don't stress too much about what admissions tutors want 2 c. They don't have a model PS in front of them, they are open to any interesting ideas/ thoughts that you present them with.
Ana xxx

Latest

Trending

Trending