Jackgregory168
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
For my critical essay in my National 5 English exam I wil be writing about Lord of te Flies (Prose). For essays on this novel that our teacher has got us to write they have been about key themes/characters. Will my quotes and analysis that I have memorized from those essays be sutible for any prose essay question that I could be asked in my exam?
Labrador99
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Jackgregory168)
For my critical essay in my National 5 English exam I wil be writing about Lord of te Flies (Prose). For essays on this novel that our teacher has got us to write they have been about key themes/characters. Will my quotes and analysis that I have memorized from those essays be sutible for any prose essay question that I could be asked in my exam?
:wavey:

I've moved this over to Scottish Qualifications for you so hopefully someone else doing Lord of the Flies can help You might also want to join in with discussion on the main National 5 English thread
Joker62
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Jackgregory168)
It’s been a while since I’ve done English however critical essays were something I was quite good at. The idea is to memorise a variety of quotes that cover theme, characterisation, setting, turning point, conflict etc and analyse them appropriately RELATING DIRECTLY TO THE QUESTION. So to answer your question, I would learn a few more that cover the topics above and when it comes to analysis, memorising it is ok but in the exam your going to have to adapt it slightly depending on the question. And answering the question is the most important thing! Good luck in your exam.
A_Long_Way_To_Go
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
So, like Joker62 said, try to memorise a wide range of quotes that can cover almost any essay question (the main ones are: Turning Point, Character, Theme, Conflict and Relationship), so I would recommend memorising ~6 quotes from different places in the book ranging from the beginning of the text to the end. The best way to find out if you can make your quotes work with any question is just to write some essays - do some past paper essay questions (go for the hard ones which you've not done before) or even ask your teacher for a few questions, if you've written a few essays and had no problem with bending your quotes to fit the question you are probably ready for the exam.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (49)
28.65%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (14)
8.19%
No I am happy with my choice (95)
55.56%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (13)
7.6%

Watched Threads