Are books becoming outdated?

Watch
NaBaSl
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I'm thinking of doing my GCSE Speaking Exam on the topic of whether book are dying out/ outdated.

Is it a sophisticated enough topic?

What are your views on the subject???

X
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I think books sales have been increasing of late, but I'm not sure why I think that. Must have read it somewhere.

I don't like reading lots of text off a screen, so I prefer books.
NaBaSl
Rep:
?
Yeah I agree. I definitely prefer holding a physyical book.
But I was talking to my 9 yeard old sister the other day and she says they now read online books in school and read more digital books on their ipads than they do actual ones. I was really surprised that the system has chnaged so much.
bob072
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
My library keeps sending me letters saying they are.
Simonthegreat
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
In my humble opinion, it is a great topic and go for it. There is nothing like a proper hard back book preferably with good quality paper. I take paperbacks for reading when going on holiday - lighter to carry otherwise, hardback books are the best. Good luck with your exam
NaBaSl
Rep:
?
Yay thank you, I'm glad you think it's a good topic.
I love paperback books, or just books in general. I don't think reading off a screen is for me and I couldn't like it as much as a physyical book. But for many people nowadays there is no difference.
dhr90
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Good topic. Sadly they seem to be, but I still read actual books, I dislike reading on a screen, tires my eyes out too much. I do like a good audiobook as well though.
Simonthegreat
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I don't like reading of the screen. I read a proper book to my nephew and nieces and they just love it. Don't get the same enjoyment from screens. Perhaps something you can include in your exam. How long do you have to talk for ?
NaBaSl
Rep:
?
(Original post by Simonthegreat)
I don't like reading of the screen. I read a proper book to my nephew and nieces and they just love it. Don't get the same enjoyment from screens. Perhaps something you can include in your exam. How long do you have to talk for ?
10 minutes I think. Including time for questions at the end so about 7-8 probably. Could be a while so I need some viewpoints to discuss- yours will definitely be very helpful.

Ooh and any ideas for good questions I could tell people to ask me at the end of the speech? We need at least three and it might be good to pre-prepare...
NaBaSl
Rep:
?
(Original post by dhr90)
Good topic. Sadly they seem to be, but I still read actual books, I dislike reading on a screen, tires my eyes out too much. I do like a good audiobook as well though.
Oh yeah I forgot about audiobooks. Might see if I can include them too.
Hiraeth.
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Multiple libraries are being shut down; we are in a technological age, where kids from the age of 2 are picking up the iPad and watching egg-opening videos.

Traditional forms of entertainment such as books are dying out. Ultimately, I believe, stories/novellas (NOT revision guides or non-fiction) will die out one day, although I do not want them too.
NonIndigenous
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by NaBaSl)
I'm thinking of doing my GCSE Speaking Exam on the topic of whether book are dying out/ outdated.

X
I've gotten accustomed to books, but for practical reasons that are obvious, I've been forcing myself to switch to reading things on my tablet. One device = 1000 books. No luggage.
monkeyman0121
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I have a massive kindle book series which is just one author and story. (I don't know if they do physical books but I would normally read them on my phone whilst heading to college so it was great.)

I have about 14 books in a series (physical books.) And about another 10 random ones on my shelf. I love reading physically more than online since it just feels better for me.
Simonthegreat
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Who asks you the questions at the end? Should they not be sponteanous from the examiner? Don't really understand how this exam happens, please explain.
NaBaSl
Rep:
?
(Original post by Hiraeth.)
Multiple libraries are being shut down; we are in a technological age, where kids from the age of 2 are picking up the iPad and watching egg-opening videos.

Traditional forms of entertainment such as books are dying out. Ultimately, I believe, stories/novellas (NOT revision guides or non-fiction) will die out one day, although I do not want them too.
Hmm yeah we really are. Like I said, my sister mainly reads online books in school now which is quite sad. For many people technology may just be easier to use.
NaBaSl
Rep:
?
(Original post by monkeyman0121)
I have a massive kindle book series which is just one author and story. (I don't know if they do physical books but I would normally read them on my phone whilst heading to college so it was great.)

I have about 14 books in a series (physical books.) And about another 10 random ones on my shelf. I love reading physically more than online since it just feels better for me.
I've read some books on my phone on journeys too and it can be easier sometimes.
NaBaSl
Rep:
?
(Original post by NonIndigenous)
I've gotten accustomed to books, but for practical reasons that are obvious, I've been forcing myself to switch to reading things on my tablet. One device = 1000 books. No luggage.
Yes, books can be quite heavy when you're carrying a few of them around all day.
Mesopotamian.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I have never liked the idea of reading e-books - I tried once, got to the third scentence and then gave up. Personally for me it just gives me a headache and makes me feel fuzzy when I look at digital screens for too long so maybe you could talk about the health aspect of relying on technology all the time?
Hiraeth.
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hmm yeah we really are. Like I said, my sister mainly reads online books in school now which is quite sad. For many people technology may just be easier to use.
It's odd- I don't know why people prefer to. I think the chemicals in phones and tablets and the blue lights on screen keeps you awake for longer and as I mostly read at night, it puts me right off from using any technology.....

Anyways, the idea of kids, having to read Harry Potter on screens in the future and not witnessing the struggles of forgetting what page you are on, the smell of the pages, folding the corner of the page because you forgot your bookmark hurts me so much. :emo:
Kallisto
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

X
It is a controversial topic in my opinion what makes your speaking exam sophisticated and worth to discuss. I am sure there are enough views to affirm and to negate your question.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (640)
33.51%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (806)
42.2%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (378)
19.79%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (86)
4.5%

Watched Threads