How is the structure of a chloroplast adapted for its function? Watch

Jackada2000
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi, I'm currently doing a practice paper and this question came up. If i could get help on how to answer it please.
dreamerz11
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The chloroplast has “Grana” that are surrounded by the stroma which helps with photosynthesis as the products from light-dependent reaction can pass easily to stroma where the light independent reactions take place. Lots of Grana also means there’s a high surface area of cholorpyll pigments to absorb sunlight, once again aiding photosynthesis.

The Photosynthetic pigments are also arranged into photosytsmes (Photosystem II [light dependent reactions] and Photosystem I [light independent] which allows more energy to be absorbed by the sunlight (allows more electrons to become excited, more of them moving to higher energy levels, etc....)

Hope this helps!
Jackada2000
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by dreamerz11)
The chloroplast has “Grana” that are surrounded by the stroma which helps with photosynthesis as the products from light-dependent reaction can pass easily to stroma where the light independent reactions take place. Lots of Grana also means there’s a high surface area of cholorpyll pigments to absorb sunlight, once again aiding photosynthesis.

The Photosynthetic pigments are also arranged into photosytsmes (Photosystem II [light dependent reactions] and Photosystem I [light independent] which allows more energy to be absorbed by the sunlight (allows more electrons to become excited, more of them moving to higher energy levels, etc....)

Hope this helps!
Fantastic thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Guildford campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • Nottingham Trent University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • University of Groningen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 31 Jan '20

Why do you want to do a masters?

Great for my career (15)
36.59%
I really love the subject (13)
31.71%