The Student Room Group

Attendance, late coursework and University

Hello! Last year at college (level 3 BTEC Applied Science) I had quite a good year, however this year it went down hill completely. At the beginning of second year, I was feeling very low, possibly even depressed and currently seeing college counselling. My attendance is not the best at all and have been failing to hand in coursework on time, as I am not very motivated, alongside possible OCD (perfectionism). My possible OCD makes me feel the need to do more than I should, handing in over twenty pages when I'm supposed to only hand in five for example, with teachers being impressed and get good feedback; this is when I eventually hand in coursework, due to pushing it off because it stresses me out completely when I do it because it needs to be perfect, well explained and in loads of detail. Two teachers are starting to not believe in me, which made me feel even more unmotivated, but trying to be positive and prove them wrong. My attendance is terrible because of feeling 'low' at the beginning of second year, making me feel unmotivated and fatigue, leaving part-time work as a kitchen porter because of this (also to have more time to compete coursework, fear of germs and loss of confidence due to being called slow because of spending time making sure everything is perfectly clean). I am far behind on coursework, with this being another reason why I do not attend college much, due to not being able to concentrate at college and always feel like I will do coursework when at home. I will catch up. Last year I was not bothered about handing in coursework that was not finished but attempted each criteria, as I know I would get a resub but this year, I feel like it needs to be perfect. All this makes me worry about my grade and being able to get into university. Will university accept me? I take full responsibility for messing up, blaming myself and feel very selfish because there are people who are worse off and less fortunate. I am so sorry that this is long and thank you in advance to everyone who replies 🤗
Original post by Chonti :D
Hello! Last year at college (level 3 BTEC Applied Science) I had quite a good year, however this year it went down hill completely. At the beginning of second year, I was feeling very low, possibly even depressed and currently seeing college counselling. My attendance is not the best at all and have been failing to hand in coursework on time, as I am not very motivated, alongside possible OCD (perfectionism). My possible OCD makes me feel the need to do more than I should, handing in over twenty pages when I'm supposed to only hand in five for example, with teachers being impressed and get good feedback; this is when I eventually hand in coursework, due to pushing it off because it stresses me out completely when I do it because it needs to be perfect, well explained and in loads of detail. Two teachers are starting to not believe in me, which made me feel even more unmotivated, but trying to be positive and prove them wrong. My attendance is terrible because of feeling 'low' at the beginning of second year, making me feel unmotivated and fatigue, leaving part-time work as a kitchen porter because of this (also to have more time to compete coursework, fear of germs and loss of confidence due to being called slow because of spending time making sure everything is perfectly clean). I am far behind on coursework, with this being another reason why I do not attend college much, due to not being able to concentrate at college and always feel like I will do coursework when at home. I will catch up. Last year I was not bothered about handing in coursework that was not finished but attempted each criteria, as I know I would get a resub but this year, I feel like it needs to be perfect. All this makes me worry about my grade and being able to get into university. Will university accept me? I take full responsibility for messing up, blaming myself and feel very selfish because there are people who are worse off and less fortunate. I am so sorry that this is long and thank you in advance to everyone who replies 🤗

Go and see your GP for the OCD, but you have left it a little late.
Not seeing people has meant you have made the situation more difficult for yourself.

If your grades really suffer, then uni may have difficulty accepting you and that cannot be news, but no point hiding.

You have to address the issue and inform your teachers. resubmit and retake what you can. Its up to you to fight for yourself.

A not so perfect piece of work is better than no work.

If they want 2000 words and you submit 6000 then that is not perfect because you are not writing according to the brief.

http://www.ocduk.org/how-ocduk-help

Quick Reply

Latest