Is H815 Meng Chem engineering w/ placement year at Newcastle university a 4 or 5 yrs?

Watch
MikeyA
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Can anyone currently doing this course please shed some light on it for me. On the website itself it states 4 year course but when looking at course details, it shows that the placement year extends the course to 5 years which is confusing me.
Smack
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by MikeyA)
Can anyone currently doing this course please shed some light on it for me. On the website itself it states 4 year course but when looking at course details, it shows that the placement year extends the course to 5 years which is confusing me.
I think the work placement extends the degree by a year.

From the website:

"You can apply to spend 9 to 12 months on an optional work placement between Stages 3 and 4. You can apply to spend your placement year with any organisation and will receive University support to do so. It will extend your degree by a year and is subject to availability. Find out more on about Work Placements."

https://www.ncl.ac.uk/undergraduate/...#coursedetails
MikeyA
Rep:
?
Thanks a lot
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The placement is optional. If you find a placement it adds a year to your total course duration. If you don't then you complete in 4 years.

It's common at many universities.

Posted from TSR Mobile
MikeyA
Rep:
?
I know it's common,, it's just that when I was looking into universities I noticed Manchester university had an amazing 4 year Meng chem eng with year in industry and did that through distance learning courses (unfortunately was rejected). Just Had some hopes since Newcastle uni's site wasn't too clear 🤗😅
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I know it's common,, it's just that when I was looking into universities I noticed Manchester university had an amazing 4 year Meng chem eng with year in industry and did that through distance learning courses (unfortunately was rejected). Just Had some hopes since Newcastle uni's site wasn't too clear 🤗😅
Manchester's course is unusual. The distance learning aspect adds a fair amount to the placement workload. And some people like that, ... and some don't.

Posted from TSR Mobile
josnap
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi, sorry this might be quite late but H815 is a 4 year course. The website is unfortunately misleading. But I did my 3rd year with distance learning modules and an industrial design project while simultaneously completing a full-time year in industry and now I'm about to completely my final year (stage 4).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (56)
17.34%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (91)
28.17%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (121)
37.46%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (44)
13.62%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (11)
3.41%

Watched Threads