The Student Room Group

Edexcel as/a2 mathematics exams 2018

Hi guys, as you know it's the last year of this spec for maths. I wanted to ask if anyone has any predictions as to how the exams are going to be? Will they be "harder" or "easier"? Will the examiners invest more time into the new spec and will this have an effect on our exam papers? I'm sitting C3, C4 and M1 this year - there are rumors that resits for C3, C4 and S2 will be available in 2019, but nothing else. I am also resitting C1 and C2 this year. As there are no AS students sitting this exam to skew the results, will this mean that the grade boundaries become extremely high??
Original post by csm1ith
Hi guys, as you know it's the last year of this spec for maths. I wanted to ask if anyone has any predictions as to how the exams are going to be? Will they be "harder" or "easier"? Will the examiners invest more time into the new spec and will this have an effect on our exam papers? I'm sitting C3, C4 and M1 this year - there are rumors that resits for C3, C4 and S2 will be available in 2019, but nothing else. I am also resitting C1 and C2 this year. As there are no AS students sitting this exam to skew the results, will this mean that the grade boundaries become extremely high??

The grade boundaries will be set, depending on what people get and how many people the awarding bodies want to get certain grades.

Precognition is not real, so it is impossible to answer your latter questions. Look at the content for the new spec to see if it's harder. In my opinion it is, but the questions are still trivialized and hand wave-y, based on the specimen papers.
Reply 2
I am in the same position and also interested whether they will make it easier or harder for us. I've noticed that some years the exams were significantly more difficult than others... this may be a subjective opinion but do they really want to make it so difficult that they have to write resit papers for us? Or is it an obligation anyway?

Quick Reply

Latest