The Student Room Group

Invited to assessment day for software dev graduate apprenticeship

I would like to ask for advice for going into this assessment day as this is my first ever assessment day.

Firstly, I am fairly sure this will be a group interview as in the email it said that headshot and group photos will be taken. I don't really know how this will look as I've never been to a group one. Also I can't imagine how this will work considering this is one for software dev. However the fact they will be using a headshot photograph which will be deleted after the day makes me think we will have to do something with that.

I have tried to find questions for software dev from this company online but there is basically second to non so I don't really know what types of questions could be asked or what sort of activities would happen at the group interview.

I've done research on the company and the sort of technologies they work with. However if anyone could give me any advice on what to practice or look out, it would be much appreciated.

The company is solarwinds.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by Elixis
I would like to ask for advice for going into this assessment day as this is my first ever assessment day.

Firstly, I am fairly sure this will be a group interview as in the email it said that headshot and group photos will be taken. I don't really know how this will look as I've never been to a group one. Also I can't imagine how this will work considering this is one for software dev. However the fact they will be using a headshot photograph which will be deleted after the day makes me think we will have to do something with that.

I have tried to find questions for software dev from this company online but there is basically second to non so I don't really know what types of questions could be asked or what sort of activities would happen at the group interview.

I've done research on the company and the sort of technologies they work with. However if anyone could give me any advice on what to practice or look out, it would be much appreciated.

The company is solarwinds.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. :smile:

Maybe something with Raspberry Pi? It's a common task in dev type roles. It could be anything really but be prepared for a group task so the division of roles and tasks are important, you could take initiative and decide who does what.

I would imagine the photos are taken to aid them in seeing how well you work in a team?

Make sure you research the company and the role well. You should come equipped with knowledge about how software development works and why you are suitable for the role.

I suggest using Glassdoor as a way of preparing for the group interview too. Search for you company and look under "Interviews" for reviews from previous candidates who applied.
Hey man , I have done an assessment day for a degree apprenticeship already this year and managed to get the job although not for development I can give some generic advice

Firstly , as you say research company

Identify your hobby or area of interest in development of software and when the time is right talk about it

When in group tasks make sure to be relaxed , but to be a team player , at some pont during the group task ask if everyone is OK with their task or if they need help with an area .

If you have any ideas during the group takes make sure to share them or ask the group fro feedback on an idea or if you can add to other peoples ideas . as you will be watched by the managers but you will soon forget they are there so just be normal .

Try to be relaxed and friendly ,don't try and throw other candidates under the bus by highlighting their faults although its a competiion to get the job doing this will not make you popular.

If the managers are having a laugh or joke adapt to that situation and return a joke so if they are more relaxed than you expect adapt to that don't still be boring if they are being a laugh .

Shake any managers or other candidates hands when you first see them and say please to meet you and your name and look them in the eye it shows you are confident grown up and understand how to conduct yourself .

Use the day to suss out wether you would enjoy it there as its as much for you as it is them to see if you want them so to speak.

If they ask is there any questions try and ask it shows you are listening and interested.

Sorry if any of that came across obvious or patronizing it didn't mean to be its just for my first assessment day I was so nervous and scared but I so didn't need to be , it was more relaxed than college .
Reply 3
Thanks for the helpful insight Harry, it definitely helped! I have a month to prepare for this so I should be good.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending