fcneedsyou
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I have been going over and over this question and i'm still not 100 percent sure what I'm being asked -

'Examine how expectations surrounding genre (early modern or modern) are used to produce meaning in two of the modules texts'

I've chosen King Lear and As You Like It, however my worry is I'm talking too much about just genre and not relating it to the question enough - if I fully understood what the question was asking?!

Am I being asked to see what the effect of genre is within these two texts?? Or what does genre DO in these texts??

Really hope someone can help as I'm feeling pretty down and just want get a clearer idea. Thanks so much!!
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by fcneedsyou)
I have been going over and over this question and i'm still not 100 percent sure what I'm being asked -

'Examine how expectations surrounding genre (early modern or modern) are used to produce meaning in two of the modules texts'

I've chosen King Lear and As You Like It, however my worry is I'm talking too much about just genre and not relating it to the question enough - if I fully understood what the question was asking?!

Am I being asked to see what the effect of genre is within these two texts?? Or what does genre DO in these texts??

Really hope someone can help as I'm feeling pretty down and just want get a clearer idea. Thanks so much!!
So for me looking at it i see 3 parts.

Expectations- what the audience expects
Genre- provides the shape of those expectations.
Meaning- which I think is how does Shakespeare use the previous two to produce a result, whether it be a tragedy or a comedy.

If I go to see a tragedy how would the genre shape audience expectations? What methods , techniques and traditions does shakespeare use to give then edn result of a tragedy? Is there a formula? Hero brought about by his own downfall? Irony the hero doesn't understand their own flaws? Irony actions the hero takes that he doesnt realise will bring his downfall?

I'd have thought it was the latter i.e what does Genre do, but feel free to ignore me. that was my impression though.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (73)
30.04%
No (170)
69.96%

Watched Threads