The Student Room Group

Crashed car on test drive! What next?

OK so I've just been to view a car with my dad. I was interested in the car so I asked my dad to test drive it, as I haven't passed my test yet. As we was coming out of the garage we went down a steep hill , he couldn't find the brake pedal and panicked and crashed into a lamp post. Everyone is fine and we was driving at a low speed but the car is pretty badly damaged.

Please does anyone have any advice about what to do next and what position we are in legally? Are we liable? The car was from a used car dealer who has some insurance however the crash was our fault. They will come back to us on Monday.

Thank you all for any comments.
how old are you ?
So it was your dad that crashed it?
awkward... you'll have to make an insurance claim likely... not sure on the legal standing..
but i do know that if you have car insurance its on the driver not the "car". Or see if a deal for damages can be made... as insurance premiums increase in the event of an accident (for your dad) dependent on age and driving record of course.
How can you not find a brake pedal? Was it hidden under the sun visor or something?
Reply 6
Yeah, he caused the collision. However, as soon as we crashed the salesman in the back just said: "it's sold". Concerned I will be stuck with a damaged car. Or perhaps we would only need to pay the excess on insurance.
Original post by danny131212
Yeah, he caused the collision. However, as soon as we crashed the salesman in the back just said: "it's sold". Concerned I will be stuck with a damaged car. Or perhaps we would only need to pay the excess on insurance.

if it was low speed the damage is likely superficial. Get a few garages to look at it if you are deemed liable and just pay to get it fixed, as the seller will more than likely rip you off and claim more money than the damage caused.
Reply 8
OK so I've just been to view a car with my dad. I was interested in the car so I asked my dad to test drive it, as I haven't passed my test yet. As we was coming out of the garage we went down a steep hill , he couldn't find the brake pedal and panicked and crashed into a lamp post. Everyone is fine and we was driving at a low speed but the car is pretty badly damaged.

Please does anyone have any advice about what to do next and what position we are in legally? Are we liable? The car was from a used car dealer who has some insurance however the crash was our fault. They will come back to us on Monday.

Thank you all for any comments.

I'm calling BS on this one - the brake pedal doesn't exactly change position from car to car, it's always in the same damn place.

Your dad's insurance won't cover it, but the garages should - it's your dad's fault though.
Reply 9
Original post by IWMTom
I'm calling BS on this one - the brake pedal doesn't exactly change position from car to car, it's always in the same damn place.

Your dad's insurance won't cover it, but the garages should - it's your dad's fault though.

I know it's shocking, I'm not sure how he managed to do it myself. Over 30 years driving with zero accidents and then this...

So do you think we will need to pay for it or not?
It'll come out of someone's insurance.

Crashing it doesn't mean you have bought it.
Reply 11
I know it's shocking, I'm not sure how he managed to do it myself. Over 30 years driving with zero accidents and then this...

So do you think we will need to pay for it or not?

The damage? I'd imagine so, or at least the excess on the insurance policy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending