Shosho 98
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I’m planning to study software engineering. My first language isn’t English and I don’t have GCSE in English. I’m not sure what to study next year.
Do GCSE and then get into A-levels.
Or
Do the BTEC Extended L3 in IT.
I want the stongest for uni and the one that would help me more in my defree
I’m really confused.
Fovyqapu
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It depends on whether you want to go the more vocational or more academic route. If you want to "go to university", as they say, and you want to get into a really highly-ranked one like Imperial then they will only want 3 A-Levels.

The BTEC is more vocational and focuses on the "Information" side of things and is much more practical. There is a programming unit, though you may want to take an A-Level in Computer Science instead depending on what's available in your area.

For your other two Level 3 courses you'll want to take Maths and either Further Maths or a science since you're going into engineering.

After you've finished I'd recommend you do a degree apprenticeship in software engineering, which allows you to go to university while training for a job in that field and earning a salary with no student debt whatsoever. But it depends on where you see yourself in the working world.
gymkana3000
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Fovyqapu)
It depends on whether you want to go the more vocational or more academic route. If you want to "go to university", as they say, and you want to get into a really highly-ranked one like Imperial then they will only want 3 A-Levels.

The BTEC is more vocational and focuses on the "Information" side of things and is much more practical. There is a programming unit, though you may want to take an A-Level in Computer Science instead depending on what's available in your area.

For your other two Level 3 courses you'll want to take Maths and either Further Maths or a science since you're going into engineering.

After you've finished I'd recommend you do a degree apprenticeship in software engineering, which allows you to go to university while training for a job in that field and earning a salary with no student debt whatsoever. But it depends on where you see yourself in the working world.
Don't mean to be rude, but I think this is a wrong interpretation of BTEC IT level 3. Currently a student who has done CompSci at A-Level and is now doing BTEC IT, I can tell you the differences between them.
BTEC IT contains a 1/3 of programming. It covers many different units, to give you an idea of what different careers paths you can choose. In my first year, I have done: Programming, web design, mobile app development, graphics, databases, and IT Systems. We are going to be doing cyber security, social media and some other units next year.
CompSci at A-level is NOT what everyone thinks it is. If you are really good at mathematics, then this maybe the course for you. It is essentially mathematics with computer content mixed in. You do little to no programming until you're in your second year. BTEC IT was definitely the right route for me to take, as I overestimated my maths skills and I was definitely out of my depth.
Top universities WILL take BTEC IT - I know for sure that Cardiff University will take you on a Software Engineer degree without a level maths BUT there is a big difficult maths module in it. It all depends what your strengths and weaknesses are. I would recommend the BTEC over A-levels if you're wanting to go to Uni for the software engineering because computer science is more about setting you up for a CS degree at Uni.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (36)
15.58%
I'm not sure (8)
3.46%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (85)
36.8%
I have already dropped out (4)
1.73%
I'm not a current university student (98)
42.42%

Watched Threads