HenzoP
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
If I was to take a degree that had a placement year in an Computing/ Network Engineering, is the placement employee found by the university, or am I simply allowed to go find an employee for the duration of that year? Many thanks on the advice.
winterscoming
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Finding a placement is just like finding any other job - it's all between you and the employer. You'll be interviewed by the employer, you might be asked to do tests as well and maybe a presentation, or attend a recruitment day, etc. The process of finding a placement isn't too dissimilar to finding a graduate job really, except that the university staff will be more actively trying to help you get a placement.

The university should be able to help you find a job; nearly all universities which offer placement years will have a good network of contacts with employers and probably a lot of staff with solid industry experience who can help you with your CV, and with the entire recruitment process.

Of course you can choose to go and find your own job away from the university process, and they'll support you as much or as little as you need. The placement year will need to meet certain criteria in order to count towards your degree though - i.e. it will need to be relevant to your degree, and it will need to be sufficiently challenging so that you're learning during that year too.

On another note, I would very strongly recommend joining a degree with an industrial placement year - my own experience with it, and the experience of nearly everybody I know who has been on a placement is that you'l learn more about the technical skills and other workplace skills that you need for your career in those 12 months working in a commercial environment doing the job "for real" than in the rest of your 3 years at university. University is great to learn about computing and technology from an academic point of view, and to get the theoretical background/understanding, but learning to pass exams will not fully equip you for a future career in the same way that the placement year will.
HenzoP
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by winterscoming)
Finding a placement is just like finding any other job - it's all between you and the employer. You'll be interviewed by the employer, you might be asked to do tests as well and maybe a presentation, or attend a recruitment day, etc. The process of finding a placement isn't too dissimilar to finding a graduate job really, except that the university staff will be more actively trying to help you get a placement.

The university should be able to help you find a job; nearly all universities which offer placement years will have a good network of contacts with employers and probably a lot of staff with solid industry experience who can help you with your CV, and with the entire recruitment process.

Of course you can choose to go and find your own job away from the university process, and they'll support you as much or as little as you need. The placement year will need to meet certain criteria in order to count towards your degree though - i.e. it will need to be relevant to your degree, and it will need to be sufficiently challenging so that you're learning during that year too.

On another note, I would very strongly recommend joining a degree with an industrial placement year - my own experience with it, and the experience of nearly everybody I know who has been on a placement is that you'l learn more about the technical skills and other workplace skills that you need for your career in those 12 months working in a commercial environment doing the job "for real" than in the rest of your 3 years at university. University is great to learn about computing and technology from an academic point of view, and to get the theoretical background/understanding, but learning to pass exams will not fully equip you for a future career in the same way that the placement year will.
Oh that's great! I totally understand what you mean, my aspiring career is as a DBA, and most of the practical experience would benefit me more for a job over the theoretical knowledge. I am already looking for jobs as IT support or anything general in IT related areas but it is proving hard to find just that as majority are apprenticeships but nevertheless this alleviates some 'stress' as for at least a year I will gain experience and a decent salary that can go towards repaying the loan fees. Thank you for the response and help!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (349)
55.75%
I don't have everything I need (277)
44.25%

Watched Threads