Manchester or Newcastle University for Geography BA?

Watch this thread
username3926078
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi all
I'm trying to decide my first choice Uni to do Geography. I'm stuck between Manchester and Newcastle, as both are great unis and cities with a good reputation for the subject, decent job prospects, good social scenes and student satisfaction rates etc.
I am really not sure what to choose so i would really appreciate any advice from current or past students on what studying each course is like, how good are the lecturers, accommodation, social scene and things like the support or careers service.

Thanks
exhaustedstudent
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
I’m in a similar boat. I’m considering urban planning/geography, at Newcastle and Birmingham.
Have you checked out whatuni? They have reviews on the universities (including support and teaching ratings) and individual courses too.
Newcastle University
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by FrostyPirate)
Hi all
I'm trying to decide my first choice Uni to do Geography. I'm stuck between Manchester and Newcastle, as both are great unis and cities with a good reputation for the subject, decent job prospects, good social scenes and student satisfaction rates etc.
I am really not sure what to choose so i would really appreciate any advice from current or past students on what studying each course is like, how good are the lecturers, accommodation, social scene and things like the support or careers service.

Thanks
Hi FrostyPirate,

Great to hear that you're thinking of coming to study with us!

Our BA/BSc Geography courses are ranked top ten in the UK (The Times Good University Guide 2018) and are accredited by the Royal Geographical Society. In fact, our Geographic Information Science degree is the only one of its kind in the UK to be dual accredited by the Royal Town Planning Institute and the Chartered Institution of Civil Engineering Surveyors if that's one you might be interested in.

Newcastle is a great place to live and study, with the benefits of having a campus university right on the doorstep of the City Centre. This means that you're only a few minutes walk from all of the restaurants, shops and bars in the city. Our metro train system makes it easy to get around, with a stop right outside campus and direct trains to Newcastle Central Train Station and the airport. We also have blue flag sandy beaches only 25 minutes away.

I'm sure you'll have heard of Newcastle's vibrant night life; Newcastle was voted 4th in the UK for social (The Times Higher Education Student Experience Survey 2018) and our Student's Union was voted 4th in the UK too (Student Barometer).

We have a range of student blogs on our website which may help you to get a good taste of what student life here is like: https://microsites.ncl.ac.uk/oncours...-our-students/

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any specific questions and good luck with whatever you decide!

😊

Valentina
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (18)
21.69%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (11)
13.25%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (4)
4.82%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (14)
16.87%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (17)
20.48%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (19)
22.89%

Watched Threads