The Student Room Group

How hard is A Level Maths?

I am not very bright, I'd say I'm average. My GCSEs were a bunch of Bs. If I did A Level maths and attended every lesson, made sure to revise and fully understand every single topic etc, would I do well? Like grade A or B.
It's important to note that my school only taught us up to grade 6 topics in GCSE maths because they were nervous about the whole 9-4 thing (we were the first year to ever do 9-4 maths). Will this put me at a disadvantage because I don't know grade 7-9 GCSE maths topics? Or will it kinda be retaught?
Thank you
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by YasudaSayo
I am not very bright, I'd say I'm average. My GCSEs were a bunch of Bs, only got 1 A and that was in biology. If I attended every lesson and made sure to understand every single topic etc, would I do well? Like grade A or B.
It's important to note that my school only taught us up to grade 6 topics in GCSE maths because they were nervous about the whole 9-4 thing (we were the first year to ever do 9-4 maths). Will this put me at a disadvantage because I don't know grade 7-9 GCSE maths? Or will it kinda be retaught?
Thank you

You won't be at any sort of disadvantage as it will all be taught, some other kids may know more than you initially but you can quickly catch up.

If you put the time and effort in, you can easily get the grades you want. A-Level Maths is a lot about repetition of questions. Going over past paper questions is a sure fire way to do well in the exams.
A Level Maths requires A LOT of practice legit
you need to keep doing questions everyday, even till you can like integrate and stuff in your head
I got a B at GCSE; your foundations need to be strong for AS
But you know if you are willing to put the effort in you can do it, it requires hard work x that's what I'm telling myself anyways lool
A Level maths for me was made so much easier by doing lots and lots of practice. It does get challenging but you have to be resilient and that's what separates the people who succeed and fail at this subject. I have two friends, one got a B at GCSE and one was a straight A* student. The B grade student worked super hard for two years and got himself a high A whilst the other student let her frustrations get the better of her whenever she encountered difficulty and ended up with a C (still a good grade but attitude makes all the difference)
yep you've got to cover 7-9 too
Reply 5
Original post by ahlaladolly
yep you've got to cover 7-9 too

What do you mean? 'got to cover it' as in I need to know that stuff for a level? or that they cover it at a level?
Reply 6
Original post by meediaabid
A Level maths for me was made so much easier by doing lots and lots of practice. It does get challenging but you have to be resilient and that's what separates the people who succeed and fail at this subject. I have two friends, one got a B at GCSE and one was a straight A* student. The B grade student worked super hard for two years and got himself a high A whilst the other student let her frustrations get the better of her whenever she encountered difficulty and ended up with a C (still a good grade but attitude makes all the difference)

I got a 6 in maths at GCSE (thats like a high B) but I revised like crazy. I'm one of those people who give it 100% and only get like 60% back, hence the B/6.. guess a level maths isnt for me lol
I am not very bright, I'd say I'm average. My GCSEs were a bunch of Bs. If I did A Level maths and attended every lesson, made sure to revise and fully understand every single topic etc, would I do well? Like grade A or B.
It's important to note that my school only taught us up to grade 6 topics in GCSE maths because they were nervous about the whole 9-4 thing (we were the first year to ever do 9-4 maths). Will this put me at a disadvantage because I don't know grade 7-9 GCSE maths topics? Or will it kinda be retaught?
Thank you

It's probably the easiest A-level there is. It's got the highest proportion of people getting an A* and for me, I find it piss easy too.

If you did what you said you would do, you'd get A*. Just fully UNDERSTAND everything.
As far as I'm aware, they don't reteach anything at A level per se that was covered at GCSE except maybe skimming over it briefly. (I'm a GCSE student, but have asked a lot at my school about A level Maths and have 3 friends who do it at A level.) As for the 7-9 topics, they're not that difficult so take some time (maybe 1 hour a week) during the summer to sit down and learn them so you're up to speed. If you find them very confusing, A level maths may not be for you because the hardest GCSE question is nowhere near as hard as the average A level question.

As for how difficult it is, I couldn't say exactly, but a A or A* at GCSE is usually a good indicator of a good grade at A level. However, I've heard from my mates of people who got A*s at GCSE and are now getting C/D/E's in class at A level. But that's probably because they don't do work. As long as you work hard and try, I don't see why you couldn't get a good grade. Grades at GCSE don't always reflect perfomance at A level and I'm sure you'll do fine at A level if you choose to do it :smile:
Thank you

People at your grade typically either drop out, or get around D grades. Assuming the grade we're talking about is a 6.

Yes it will, because you'll have to learn GCSE topics on the fly while learning how to apply them to AS Level.

I recommend going over GCSE work over the summer to get a solid grade 8.

If you reach that level, then you'd be able to get an A*/A with work
What do you mean? 'got to cover it' as in I need to know that stuff for a level? or that they cover it at a level?

7-9 GCSE Maths you should know
I don't think they'll cover it because like ur foundations should be on point if ygm
But I'm not sure because the spec has changed
Reply 11
yeah i guess it was stupid of me to consider a level maths considering my situation.. thanks for your replies everyone
My GCSEs were a bunch of Bs. If I did A Level maths and attended every lesson, made sure to revise and fully understand every single topic etc, would I do well? Like grade A or B.

did a level maths last year after getting a B in GCSE. my GCSEs were mediocre. I am defo not the brightest but my strongest subject was maths. Flopped the first year, i was pulling E's in the core maths side and Ds in the stats side, they didnt put me into the exams (C1, C2 and S1), they ended up booting half my class of the course and sticking us on Core Maths instead which is a watered down a level that gives you like 30 ucas points at an A.

then again i was probs a tad worse than you at GCSE and my teachers came and went.

A level maths is a horrible idea, pure torture.
Don't do it. I got an A in Maths at GCSE and a D in Maths at A-Level. And A at GCSE was worth more then.
I took A-level maths this year and dropped it in February. My advice would only take it if it will help you go down you're desired career path and if you find the subject interesting. I took maths after getting a B at GCSE and it was the subject that worsened my mental health. There were countless days where I would just cry and think I was useless since no matter how hard I tried, I never got a decent grade. If you really want to take it, please just make sure you understand all of your GCSE maths knowledge since you will need it for every class, otherwise, you will really struggle like how I did.
Thank you

Dude, I must say that every teacher remarks that your GCSE grades do not reflect upon your A-Level grades because it depends on the amount of effort you put into the subject that gives you your grade. The minimum to get into any A-Level subject is a B in my school so I wouldn’t worry too much. I would make sure you feel prepared with algebra as it pretty much is the basis of everything for the pure part of maths.

Best of luck
I got an A* in GCSE maths but am currently predicted a B/C in a level maths (currently year 12).

However, i haven’t worked that hard so far this year (which I regret) and I’m now trying to work harder so hopefully this prediction will improve.

If you would really hard and do a lot of practice at a level you may be fine. I would also suggest often going over previous toppings coz you don’t want to forget the stuff you’ve previously learnt.

Hope this helps!

Quick Reply

Latest