The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
biology is the odd one out which you could replace, but keep it if you feel you want to do it/keep your options open
sounds fine to me.

my brother did those subs except he did physics instead of biology.

:ninja:
Sounds good to me, good luck.
Reply 4
Thank you

Why is biology the odd one out, i thought chemistry was the same as biology.
i want to do history but i didn't take it as a gcse
They're good! Biology is the odd one out, definitely. It just doesn't seem to go with your other subjects. Biology is usually for medicine, dentistry, biochemistry etcetc.
Maybe have English Lit or History instead to keep your options open? You don't need to do History at GCSE to do it for A Level at our school!
Reply 6
You might want to shove in an extra essay subject such as English Lit if you can't do History? I would've said replace Biology.

Other than that, it's a good set. You could get into a decent Uni with those, but maybe not a really competitive one because you should prove you can write well.
Reply 7
the sixth form i applied to had entry exams, interviews PS etc etc
and so they wanted to test me on history and since i hadn't done it i was willing to risk the chance of not getting into that 6th form

You don't NEED essay based subjects to get into lse or other uni's alike do you?
Reply 8
Oh i just remembered i picked geography aswell, then dropped it for biology! :frown:
I don't think you NEED essay based subjects, but have a look at websites for unis to be sure. I just think an essay based subjects will be very helpful for economics, and i'm sure people will agree!
Reply 10
piece_by_piece
I don't think you NEED essay based subjects, but have a look at websites for unis to be sure. I just think an essay based subjects will be very helpful for economics, and i'm sure people will agree!

How bout econ? it's ALL writing lol
HeRaT
Thank you

Why is biology the odd one out, i thought chemistry was the same as biology.
i want to do history but i didn't take it as a gcse

You don't need GCSE to do A level History.

History at A level is fantastic, and would be just as great an A level as others! I love it! :wink:
True, but how about english lit or history as well? I just think it will look good to have something like:
Economics
English Lit/History
Maths
Further Maths
Chemistry

I'm pretty sure that English Lit or History will be more beneficial to you when doing Economics at uni than Biology!
HeRaT
You don't NEED essay based subjects to get into lse or other uni's alike do you?

You don't need essay based subjects for Economics, but they do see it as helpful. I'm doing Maths, Further Maths, Economics, Physics and Computing (so no real essay subjects) and they asked me about the omission of such a subject at my Cambridge interview. So if you can, try to do something like History, Politics or English Literature to cover the essay-writing side.
Wow, alex_hk90, well done on your amazing offers! Congratulations :smile:
Reply 15
is geography essay based?
I really don't know! :s-smilie: I think English Lit/ History would still be best, but yeah maybe geography!
HeRaT
Are my A level choices ok?

sorry i know there are millions of threads i just need to know :biggrin:

They are;
Maths
Further Maths
Chemistry
Biology
Economics

Thank you :P

u got 2 sciences there when you could put in a literary instead of 1. Other than that you got a perfect set.

LSE say their sugested subject combination is:
Research suggests that students who do well in their studies at LSE, offered subjects such as Maths, Economics, Further Maths, Physics or Chemistry at application stage. Literary subjects offered included History, English or a foreign language (not mother tongue).

its a guideline only.
biology isnt the odd one out! it goes well with chemistry and maths.. economics would be the oddest one imo
Reply 19
piece_by_piece
I really don't know! :s-smilie: I think English Lit/ History would still be best, but yeah maybe geography!

I CANT do eng lit/history for the last time!

Latest