Yiuyu
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Prove from the definition of the phrase " a real series converges to a real number L" how the sum of n=1 to infinity (1/10^n) converges to 1/9.
How would I do this using the defn?
Prasiortle
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Yiuyu)
Prove from the definition of the phrase " a real series converges to a real number L" how the sum of n=1 to infinity (1/10^n) converges to 1/9.
How would I do this using the defn?
Firstly, do you know and understand what the definition is saying?
Yiuyu
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by Prasiortle)
Yes?
RDKGames
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Yiuyu)
Yes?
If you consider the sequence of partial sums u_n = \{ S_1, S_2, S_3, \ldots, S_n \} where S_n = \displaystyle \sum_{r=1}^{n} \dfrac{1}{10^r} then the limit (u_n) \xrightarrow{n \to \infty} L will be the answer to the actual sum S_{\infty}.
So you just want to show that the sequence of partial sums has a limit of L=\dfrac{1}{9}
DFranklin
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Prasiortle)
Despite what he says, my feeling is "no, not really". He previously posted asking for the definition and saying he'd tried using google, despite the fact that googling gives lots of hits with no difficulty at all.

So my guess would be "technically, he knows what the definition says, but he doesn't know how to show a sequence converges, so... :shrugs:". [I'm afraid that after helping on here for 10 years, you get cynical].

(Original post by NotNotBatman)
I'm not entirely sure what the definition is saying, just that the real series converges ?

But  \frac{1}{10^n} = (\frac{1}{10})^n and \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}x^n converges for |x|<1

so you know it converges, so you can use the sum to infinity formula.
No, you can't. With the greatest respect, if you don't understand what the definition is saying, and the question says "prove from the defintion...", it is perhaps not the most sensible thread for you to comment on.
NotNotBatman
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by DFranklin)
Despite what he says, my feeling is "no, not really". He previously posted asking for the definition and saying he'd tried using google, despite the fact that googling gives lots of hits with no difficulty at all.

So my guess would be "technically, he knows what the definition says, but he doesn't know how to show a sequence converges, so... :shrugs:". [I'm afraid that after helping on here for 10 years, you get cynical].

No, you can't. With the greatest respect, if you don't understand what the definition is saying, and the question says "prove from the defintion...", it is perhaps not the most sensible thread for you to comment on.
What I don't understand is how that is a definition at all.
" a real series converges to a real number L" to me is a statement that just means that there is a real series that converges.

If that's wrong, what does it mean?
DFranklin
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
What I don't understand is how that is a definition at all.
" a real series converges to a real number L" to me is a statement that just means that there is a real series that converges.

If that's wrong, what does it mean?
Ok, to be fair, this is something that's hard to know without university context.

If you google "series convergence definition" (not in quotes), you will find that there is a precise definition (well, there are various definitions, but they all mean the same thing) of what it actually means when you say "a real series converges to a real number L".

When the question says "from the definition of the phrase...", it means that you need to prove the result using that definition (and specifically, NOT using results that are proved after the definition).
NotNotBatman
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by DFranklin)
Ok, to be fair, this is something that's hard to know without university context.

If you google "series convergence definition" (not in quotes), you will find that there is a precise definition (well, there are various definitions, but they all mean the same thing) of what it actually means when you say "a real series converges to a real number L".

When the question says "from the definition of the phrase...", it means that you need to prove the result using that definition (and specifically, NOT using results that are proved after the definition).
Ah, when it said "from the definition...", I was thinking epsilon - delta, but that wouldn't make sense obviously. But now my memory of partial sums is rejogged. I'll edit my post.
DFranklin
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Ah, when it said "from the definition...", I was thinking epsilon - delta, but that wouldn't make sense obviously. But now my memory of partial sums is rejogged. I'll edit my post.
Well, they actually do mean epsilon-delta I'm sure.

It's a bit ambiguous, because you can either say "a series converges if the sequence of partial sums converge" (in which case the epsilon-delta's don't come in until you worry about proving the sequence converges), or you can directly plug in the partial sums into the sequence definition (so you get a definition looking like: \forall \epsilon > 0, \, \exists N \text{ s.t. } n > N \implies |\sum_1^n a_n - S| < \epsilon).

If you don't go directly to epsilon-deltas, arguably you might have a little leeway in what you can claim: you could probably get away with using "a bounded monotonic sequence converges" without proving it.

It depends a little on the exact route your course takes with sequence / series convergence.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (211)
43.69%
I'm worried that I'm not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (56)
11.59%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (36)
7.45%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as 'lesser' because I didn't take exams (103)
21.33%
I don't think that receiving these grades will impact my future (50)
10.35%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (27)
5.59%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise