Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Can someone help me with these questions I am completely stuck

(iii) Reaction of sodium hydroxide with 1-chloropropane

• (a) Write and balance the equations

• (b) State the conditions for the reaction

• (c) Draw the structural formula for and name the organic product formed

(d) Describe the type of reaction, which is taking place.
purpleorange1
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Try thinking of the best way to find to seek out the information you need to answer each one, that is all part of the learning process and that skill will stay with you for life. Also try to spot the topics so you can easily look in the right place in your textbook/notes quickly. Q1 is about halogenoalkanes, Q2 is about the asymmetry of alkenes and halohydrogens and the last one is a another halogenoalkane question as NaOH is a strong alkaline

A quick google of all compounds will give you their formulas if you are unsure, then write down how many are present of each number, then try to balance them from there, it might be hard at first but don't give up

The conditions for each reaction is sadly just a case of memorising the notes, just like part D. But again looking up what you don't know and spot holes in your knowledge is part of the revising process

Then instead of trying to memorise the products that are formed, think about the theory you know about reactivity and what will displace substitute what and that way you'll be able to answer any question in organic chem
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you prefer to get careers advice?

I like to speak to my friends and family (18)
8.74%
I like to do my own research online using careers specific websites (125)
60.68%
I like speaking to the careers advisors at school, college or uni (30)
14.56%
I prefer to listen watch videos or listen to podcasts of people in my chosen career (29)
14.08%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (4)
1.94%

Watched Threads