maria_4877
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
what is the difference between a non-calculator and a calculator paper?
jjasn
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by maria_4877)
I'm struggling to find the answer to this question too! Corrr what could it be??? We need an intellectual to answer this out
RDKGames
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Kind of self-explanatory, isn’t it?
maria_4877
Rep:
?
(Original post by RDKGames)
Kind of self-explanatory, isn’t it?
No not really because of the fact that most of the questions are similar in both papers and it doesnt make any sense?
HarryRoss2018
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I think it might just be, and don't quote me on this, but it might just be that one paper requires you to use a calculator and the other one doesn't.
ElyLaw99
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Wow, at first I thought this was a troll but I'm starting to think this is actually legit. But anyway in the non - calculator paper they will give you numbers as alternatives to the calculator. For example when you need to use Pi in the non calc usually it will say please use 3.145 or something in the question.
maria_4877
Rep:
?
(Original post by elylaw99)
wow, at first i thought this was a troll but i'm starting to think this is actually legit. But anyway in the non - calculator paper they will give you numbers as alternatives to the calculator. For example when you need to use pi in the non calc usually it will say please use 3.145 or something in the question.
yes true but do you notice that most of the question are similar so why not just use a calculator then for all of them and not make them separate papers?
Lexi4096
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
With some questions, they will want to see if you can work it out in your head without just typing it into a calculator, as there are many functions on a calculator that just do the work for u and don't require any effort. However, on topics such as trig, you need to have a calculator, hence they make two separate papers
Y1_UniMaths
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by ElyLaw99)
Wow, at first I thought this was a troll but I'm starting to think this is actually legit. But anyway in the non - calculator paper they will give you numbers as alternatives to the calculator. For example when you need to use Pi in the non calc usually it will say please use 3.145 or something in the question.
No they don’t they say leave your answer in terms of pi they don’t make you work it out lol
maria_4877
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lexi4096)
With some questions, they will want to see if you can work it out in your head without just typing it into a calculator, as there are many functions on a calculator that just do the work for u and don't require any effort. However, on topics such as trig, you need to have a calculator, hence they make two separate papers
okay now this makes sense thanks
ElyLaw99
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
yes true but do you notice that most of the question are similar so why not just use a calculator then for all of them and not make them separate papers?
Because they want you to use some brain power. They're not gonna hand you the grade on a plate you gotta work for it. That's just how life works.
ElyLaw99
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Y11_Maths)
No they don’t they say leave your answer in terms of pi they don’t make you work it out lol
Perhaps it's changed in the last 5 years then. That's what they did when I was doing GCSEs
Y1_UniMaths
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Perhaps it's changed in the last 5 years then. That's what they did when I was doing GCSEs
Really? They made you multiply your answers by 3.14 without a calculator? I don’t think they did?
gdunne42
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You might be slightly misremembering. On calculator papers they would tell you to use an approximation like 3.14 for pi if your calculator didn't have a pi button.
ElyLaw99
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by gdunne42)
You might be slightly misremembering. On calculator papers they would tell you to use an approximation like 3.14 for pi if your calculator didn't have a pi button.
Quite possibly yes 😂 I totally filtered maths out my brain after GCSEs. Only used what I needed for A levels.
HowToBeBlobfish2
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Working --

If you have some weird surd thingy, and you needed to simplify it, in the non-calc you have to show how you divide by the common factor and then rewrite it, but in a calc paper, you don't have to show that working.

If you have to multiply 5/6 and 7/8, in a non-calc paper you need to write 5*7/6*8 and then 35/48 but in a calc paper you could just go from 5/6 * 7/8 to 35/48 without showing the working. If you need to further simplify it, in the non-calc, you need to show how you simplify it, but in the calc you don't have to.
maria_4877
Rep:
?
(Original post by HowToBeBlobfish2)
Working --

If you have some weird surd thingy, and you needed to simplify it, in the non-calc you have to show how you divide by the common factor and then rewrite it, but in a calc paper, you don't have to show that working.

If you have to multiply 5/6 and 7/8, in a non-calc paper you need to write 5*7/6*8 and then 35/48 but in a calc paper you could just go from 5/6 * 7/8 to 35/48 withouing the working. If you need to further simplify it, in the non-calc, you need to show how you simplify it, but in the calc you don't have to.
quite a descent explanation here thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (147)
4.89%
Uncertainty around my education (443)
14.73%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (338)
11.24%
Lack of purpose or motivation (419)
13.93%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (140)
4.66%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (181)
6.02%
Loneliness (258)
8.58%
Financial worries (109)
3.62%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (123)
4.09%
Exposure to negative news/social media (136)
4.52%
Lack of real life entertainment (163)
5.42%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (266)
8.85%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (284)
9.44%

Watched Threads