The Student Room Group
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool

Geography BA at Liverpool Uni - how lenient on grades?

I've got an offer from Liverpool (ABB) but also got an unconditional offer from Sheffield Hallam - both for 2019. So I'm in a dilemma. Should I go with the Unconditional offer as it's in the bag? Or should I take a risk and put Liverpool first and hope they might be a bit lenient if I drop a grade (or two!!) I have to decide in the next few days and keep changing my mind. Does anyone have any experience of getting into first choice unis on lesser grades than the offers? Thanks
Hey @Mills2000

Congrats on your offers! I think you'll have a great time whichever uni you go to! Which course are you more interested in?

Our student ambassadors may have been through a similar decision making process @SHUGURU and @hallamstudents and can share their experiences!

Thanks
Bridget
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool
Original post by Mills2000
I've got an offer from Liverpool (ABB) but also got an unconditional offer from Sheffield Hallam - both for 2019. So I'm in a dilemma. Should I go with the Unconditional offer as it's in the bag? Or should I take a risk and put Liverpool first and hope they might be a bit lenient if I drop a grade (or two!!) I have to decide in the next few days and keep changing my mind. Does anyone have any experience of getting into first choice unis on lesser grades than the offers? Thanks

Hi there,

Its great to hear that you have got those offers. What course is it that you have applied for?
I had a similar experience I applied for Sheffield Hallam and received an unconditional offer, and before then I hadn't really considered the University as a main choice. After my interview and really getting along with the lecturer it stuck in my mind. Also at A -Level I was worried I wouldn't get the grades to get into other Universities like Newcastle which wanted AAB/AAA.

I decided to put Sheffield first because I was unsure whether I would get the grades and also my brother was already studying at Northumbria University in Newcastle, so I wanted my own city to explore. So there are a lot of other things to consider when picking between them. Such as how far is it from home? Does one courser have modules you are more interested in?? If you went for an open day or interview could you see yourself fitting in more at one University? And as a city which one would you like to live in, is one more student oriented?

Hope that helps!

Chandni
Original post by Mills2000

Hey, sorry for my late reply!

Choosing a university is difficult, but I wouldn't let the unconditional offer be what sways you either way. My advice would be to look closely at each course, the university (thinking to any open days you've been on), and the city, and put as a firm offer which one you genuinely think would be the best fit for you. I wrote this post about making a firm choice a while back which may also help.

Although your unconditional offer is probably only valid if Sheffield Hallam is your firm choice, it's clear they want you here which means even if you did put them as your insurance, you've got a good chance of being accepted. There's also clearing which is an option if you don't end up getting in to either (which is no way near as scary as it seems)!

I'm a third year student at Sheffield Hallam and I absolutely love it here both at the university and the city, but that's because it's a great fit for me personally. It might be for you too, but you've got to figure that one out!

If you have any questions about living or studying at Sheffield Hallam feel free to let me know :smile:

Ellie
Reply 4
Hi there,

That is a hard choice. I study in Liverpool and Id always recommend it, its such a brilliant place to study! But having an unconditional offer is nice. Makes the exams less stressful ect.. That being said, pretty much most unis accept people with slightly lower grades then they originally ask so I wouldnt worry. Plus if theyre expecting you to do that well, they really wont mind if you drop a grade because youve still done well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending