The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Your choice is very limited, there may be 1 or 2 though.
Reply 3
I think a number of universities have a "Medicine with a Foundation Year" course, which is apparently aimed for "students who wish to study medicine but do not have a scientific academic background".

One would guess you would still have to get AAA/AAB in "respected" subjects though.

Just check out a few university prospectuses (prospecti?), and look at the end of the medicine section. It's usually around there.
Reply 4
the link i provided gives you all you need to be honest... apparently you can apply to gkt (king's), barts, brighton, imperial, st george's and some others i can't remember with EITHER chemistry OR biology at A level. can't remember which ones require at least one at AS if not both at A2. anyway, check that link out and read well, it has it all in there
Its too much of a hassle
Do 4 subjects including chem and even if u then get a C in it it wont matter....most unis just want chem..not a certain grade in it
Reply 6
she might already be in year 12/13 so it would be a bit late to change it now..

and anyway, a C in chemistry at A level won't get you too far in typical circumstances :-/ you'd have to have at least a B.
ph9
she might already be in year 12/13 so it would be a bit late to change it now..

and anyway, a C in chemistry at A level won't get you too far in typical circumstances :-/ you'd have to have at least a B.

WHat u mean as in typical circumstances..
Its better to have a C than to have nothing...plus unis wont automatically reject her........only a few unis demand an A inchem..others just want it.........
Reply 8
http://www.medschoolsonline.co.uk/index.php?pageid=78

thats a table of all the unis and whether they require bio and chem and to wot level
Reply 9
krisstassen
Its better to have a C than to have nothing...plus unis wont automatically reject her........only a few unis demand an A inchem..others just want it.........

no i don't mean you'd absolutely need to get an A (unless the uni asked for it) but since the typical offer for med is AAB, a C wouldn't suffice.
Reply 10
krisstassen

No, a C for chemistry would be a disaster.
Well either way, it really doesnt matter. You'll probably need to teach yourself chemistry at university level anyway.
Reply 12
thank you for the advice and useful links
i guess i actually kind of need chemistry
i was just thinking about dropping it because im finding it really difficult
im going to wait til the end of the year and see what i get
Bristol does a course with a preliminary year for those that haven't done chemistry... you might wanna have a look:
http://www.medici.bris.ac.uk/general/Undergraduate/course-overview1.html

Uea
Exerter
Newcastle
Premed Courses

Latest

Trending

Trending