The Student Room Group

North Korea nuclear test site to close in May

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-43939375

North Korea's nuclear test site will close in May, the South Korean president's office has said. A spokesman said the closure of the Punggye-ri site would be done in public and foreign experts from South Korea and the US would be invited to watch.

Scientists have said the site may have partially collapsed in September. On Friday, North Korean leader Kim Jong-un and South Korea's President Moon Jae-in agreed to work to rid the Korean peninsula of nuclear weapons.

It's quite hard to believe that this is actually happening, the whole thing from going into South Korea, setting a meet with Trump, ridding the country of it's nuclear weapons and now closing the test sight in public with foreign officials to verify it all in the space of 3 months.

Kim for the win
looks like Mr Trump has done something good after all :h:
Original post by the bear

I suspect a large part of it is increased sanctions imposed by Trump and China, Kim's bodyguards didn't even have motorcycles and had to run along side Kim's car.

I'd say he contributed. Though there were other major developments in those countries that led to this stage. The previous South Korean president being impeached for corruption involving Samsung would be a big contributor. The president to replace him was very much more 'tolerant' towards North Korea, and at the same time belongs to a party that has noticeable degrees of anti-Americanism among it's supporters. I don't think Trump had anything to do with that.

I mean, for some time it looked like the conflict was escalating, not improving, with Trump's intervention. Although maybe it was the case of Trump speaking Kim's language until he got through to him. Seems like they found something in common after all. I found the "my button is bigger than yours" competition quite amusing. It sounded like banter you'd overhear in a pub.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Ninja Squirrel
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-43939375

North Korea's nuclear test site will close in May, the South Korean president's office has said. A spokesman said the closure of the Punggye-ri site would be done in public and foreign experts from South Korea and the US would be invited to watch.

Scientists have said the site may have partially collapsed in September. On Friday, North Korean leader Kim Jong-un and South Korea's President Moon Jae-in agreed to work to rid the Korean peninsula of nuclear weapons.

It's quite hard to believe that this is actually happening, the whole thing from going into South Korea, setting a meet with Trump, ridding the country of it's nuclear weapons and now closing the test sight in public with foreign officials to verify it all in the space of 3 months.

Kim for the win

Kim grabbed Moon's hand and walked with him over the border! What the hell is happening?!

last time i said that a TSR community assistant person called me a far-right crackhead who wants world war 3
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by hannxm
Kim grabbed Moon's hand and walked with him over the border! What the hell is happening?!

Yeah I saw that, was a nice gesture.
Original post by ckfeister
last time i said that a TSR community assistant person called me a far-right crackhead who wants world war 3

gotta let it go dude... :console:
gotta let it go dude... :console:

i found it funny tbh
This is amazing and Nobel peace prize material.

It would be a shame if he opened it again or already had a replacement.

Kim is just misunderstood.
I think it could be that Kim is a bad man, but not a mad man.

Maybe he has come to the conclusion that the ongoing relations with South Korea are pointless, and that it's a war that can't ever be won. Unlike previous rulers, he's travelled a bit (and not just to China) and he possibly realises that North Korea is a pretty crappy country with no hope of prevailing. He could probably get considerable inflows of money from the South just by being peaceful rather than threatening.

The question is - what is his endgame? Recent history is divided. In Europe, we have the German pattern where glasnost brought the East and West together - and 30 years later it's a united country again. On the other hand, in Romania the main man had to be toppled, but it wasn't too terrible.

In the Middle East, it hasn't worked at all. There's no real pattern of transition from bad countries to good ones. The dictator holds on, and a bad situation gets worse. In Korea, for any model of reunification, the economic pain is going to be so pronounced it's unthinkable. The South would be underwriting everything in the North for decades.
Original post by 999tigger
This is amazing and Nobel peace prize material.

It would be a shame if he opened it again or already had a replacement.

Kim is just misunderstood.

Peace prize? Hang on a moment let's not forget he is still a tyrant dictator and responsible for mass human rights abuses.

And if you mean Trump then threatening a country into submission, while it may work, is certainly not the way to a noble peace prize.
Original post by Ninja Squirrel
Peace prize? Hang on a moment let's not forget he is still a tyrant dictator and responsible for mass human rights abuses.

And if you mean Trump then threatening a country into submission, while it may work, is certainly not the way to a noble peace prize.

Reply 13

the problem is that this is not but a cosmetic change... it's nothing that can't be undone at whimsy in the future. Now if he agreed to dismantle his production lines and existing warheads this might be a change worthy of note, alas as it stands it isnt though. There was a rather good piece in FP recently who noted quite astutely that the only winners so far are NK and this is a jackpot for them.
Reply 14
Original post by ckfeister

:colone:
Original post by 999tigger

:sad:
I would take all of it with a very big pinch of salt. It can all be undone easily and don't underestimate the influence of China in all of this.
If the North Koreans wanted to attack S Korea, they could and cause massive casualties. They would reap the whirlwind, but it would impact on the global economy.

Kim wants to stay in power, plus have people praising him. When he gets bored it wont surprise me if he throws a strop, takes offence and goes the other way.
O dont see him giving up the weapons which are the only thing that provides international recognition.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending