Student1191
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Would a uni accept BTEC in computer games development and cyber security, and IT or are they too similar?
yt7777
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Not sure there is a BTEC in Cyber Security.

You're better off doing a BTEC Extended Diploma in IT or Computing.

What do you want to study at uni?
Student1191
Rep:
?
(Original post by yt7777)
Not sure there is a BTEC in Cyber Security.

You're better off doing a BTEC Extended Diploma in IT or Computing.

What do you want to study at uni?
A college near me does game development and cyber security (equivalent to 1 a level)
yt7777
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Student1191)
A college near me does game development and cyber security (equivalent to 1 a level)
Looking at the spec from BTEC I think the college are calling it something that its not

The Games Development BTEC is a pathway as part of the Creative Media suite of BTEC qualifications so you'll get a BTEC in Creative Media (Games). Unless they're just making the name up based on the modules to get more people to enrol on it, in which case you'll probably be doing a BTEC in Computing, the IT BTEC is similar to Computing its just the pre 2016 spec.

To make things easier I would recommend doing an Extended Diploma in either Computing (2016 spec) or IT (2010 spec)

What degree are you hoping to pursue?
Student1191
Rep:
?
Looking at the spec from BTEC I think the college are calling it something that its not

The Games Development BTEC is a pathway as part of the Creative Media suite of BTEC qualifications so you'll get a BTEC in Creative Media (Games). Unless they're just making the name up based on the modules to get more people to enrol on it, in which case you'll probably be doing a BTEC in Computing, the IT BTEC is similar to Computing its just the pre 2016 spec.

To make things easier I would recommend doing an Extended Diploma in either Computing (2016 spec) or IT (2010 spec)

What degree are you hoping to pursue?
Something like computing - likely software engineering route
yt7777
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Something like computing - likely software engineering route
Well, firstly I am quite sure there is no BTEC specifically in Games development and Cyber security, as I said previously it will probably be the Creative Media (Games) BTEC or the Computing BTEC - your college has probably tried to make it sound more interesting - see here for the BTEC spec (the course isnt listed)

Does your college offer the BTEC Extended Diploma either in IT or in Computing? This is what I did and I graduated from a BSc Computer Science degree and am taking a (Software Engineering focused) Computer Science Masters.

Alternatively, A levels in Maths and 2 others - perhaps Computer Science, Physics, FM, Electronics etc.
Student1191
Rep:
?
Well, firstly I am quite sure there is no BTEC specifically in Games development and Cyber security, as I said previously it will probably be the Creative Media (Games) BTEC or the Computing BTEC - your college has probably tried to make it sound more interesting - see here for the BTEC spec (the course isnt listed)

Does your college offer the BTEC Extended Diploma either in IT or in Computing? This is what I did and I graduated from a BSc Computer Science degree and am taking a (Software Engineering focused) Computer Science Masters.

Alternatively, A levels in Maths and 2 others - perhaps Computer Science, Physics, FM, Electronics etc.
I’m currently have AS coming up but I’m considering this because I don’t think they’ll go well. I should’ve done BTECs from the start tbh. I’m not quite sure about the games development and cyber security because that and the it course are by Edexcel. They say they’re extended diplomas but it’s like 4 modules over 2 years, equivalent to 1 a level each. And then I’d also do a level business studies
yt7777
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I’m currently have AS coming up but I’m considering this because I don’t think they’ll go well. I should’ve done BTECs from the start tbh. I’m not quite sure about the games development and cyber security because that and the it course are by Edexcel. They say they’re extended diplomas but it’s like 4 modules over 2 years, equivalent to 1 a level each. And then I’d also do a level business studies
They wont be Extended Diplomas because an Extended Diploma is worth 3 A levels. An Extended Diploma is usually 18 modules (180 credits)

They'll most likely be Extended Certificates (worth 1 A level each - similar to a BTEC Subsid Diploma).

I cannot see that they actually exist in the Pearson BTEC specification though so I doubt they exist - ask your college what qualifications you will actually receive on completion.

You will not be doing 2 Extended Diplomas and an A level though, thats the equivalent of 7 A levels and would be near impossible to complete.

I would recommend taking the Extended Diploma in Computing alone or maybe with A level Maths to get onto a strong Computer Science or Software Engineering degree.
Student1191
Rep:
?
They wont be Extended Diplomas because an Extended Diploma is worth 3 A levels. An Extended Diploma is usually 18 modules (180 credits)

They'll most likely be Extended Certificates (worth 1 A level each - similar to a BTEC Subsid Diploma).

I cannot see that they actually exist in the Pearson BTEC specification though so I doubt they exist - ask your college what qualifications you will actually receive on completion.

You will not be doing 2 Extended Diplomas and an A level though, thats the equivalent of 7 A levels and would be near impossible to complete.

I would recommend taking the Extended Diploma in Computing alone or maybe with A level Maths to get onto a strong Computer Science or Software Engineering degree.
Yes it’s extended certificates. They only offer the one worth one a level. I’m now considering doing business a level and computer Science a level alongside it. I have the required gcse maths grade and don’t want to do a level maths. Would this hinder my future career prospects?
yt7777
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yes it’s extended certificates. They only offer the one worth one a level. I’m now considering doing business a level and computer Science a level alongside it. I have the required gcse maths grade and don’t want to do a level maths. Would this hinder my future career prospects?
So you'll be doing which Extended Certificate are you doing? Alongside 2 A levels (Business and Computer Science?) - would you be able to link me to the specific BTEC page on your colleges website so I can see which it is?

A level Maths would help and is required for some (a few) top universities. But it wont massively affect you. In terms of careers it doesn't matter once you have a degree. I did just the BTEC Extended diploma (3 A levels worth) in IT/Computing and went to a top 30 uni for my first degree and a top 10 for masters both in Computer Science with Software Eng focus for masters and have had several jobs as a Software developer so you'll be fine without A level Maths.
Student1191
Rep:
?
So you'll be doing which Extended Certificate are you doing? Alongside 2 A levels (Business and Computer Science?) - would you be able to link me to the specific BTEC page on your colleges website so I can see which it is?

A level Maths would help and is required for some (a few) top universities. But it wont massively affect you. In terms of careers it doesn't matter once you have a degree. I did just the BTEC Extended diploma (3 A levels worth) in IT/Computing and went to a top 30 uni for my first degree and a top 10 for masters both in Computer Science with Software Eng focus for masters and have had several jobs as a Software developer so you'll be fine without A level Maths.
This is the IT
https://www.hereford.ac.uk/explore-c...on-technology/
Haven’t decided on a level or BTEC business studies yet. OCR Computer Science. I’ve not done computer science gcse but it’s not required or even preferred by them so I assume I’d be fine
yt7777
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
This is the IT
https://www.hereford.ac.uk/explore-c...on-technology/
Haven’t decided on a level or BTEC business studies yet. OCR Computer Science. I’ve not done computer science gcse but it’s not required or even preferred by them so I assume I’d be fine
I have just looked at the courses and personally I actually think that the Games Development and Cyber Security BTEC looks far better than IT, in terms of content, however it isn't the correct name for the qualification so I assume that you would come out with a BTEC Extended Certificate in Computing on finishing this course but this is something you need to contact your college about.

The module on the BTEC: Computer Science Principles will be very similar to whats covered in A level Computer Science.

You would need to be careful of this due to studying 2 course with the same subject name essentially as universities might not allow this, but contact your college to find out before making a decision. If not then IT is still not a bad option.

I'm sure its fine not having done GCSE Comp Sci, most people wont have but maybe look through some course content and see if its what you expect. It's perfectly manageable with out doing it at GCSE though.

In terms of Business, it's again, not a bad choice but Maths would be far superior if you could manage it.
Student1191
Rep:
?
I have just looked at the courses and personally I actually think that the Games Development and Cyber Security BTEC looks far better than IT, in terms of content, however it isn't the correct name for the qualification so I assume that you would come out with a BTEC Extended Certificate in Computing on finishing this course but this is something you need to contact your college about.

The module on the BTEC: Computer Science Principles will be very similar to whats covered in A level Computer Science.

You would need to be careful of this due to studying 2 course with the same subject name essentially as universities might not allow this, but contact your college to find out before making a decision. If not then IT is still not a bad option.

I'm sure its fine not having done GCSE Comp Sci, most people wont have but maybe look through some course content and see if its what you expect. It's perfectly manageable with out doing it at GCSE though.

In terms of Business, it's again, not a bad choice but Maths would be far superior if you could manage it.
Is this the proper extended diploma? https://www.coleggwent.ac.uk/courses...ploma_(BE0019)
There isn’t much detail here on the actual content though
yt7777
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Is this the proper extended diploma? https://www.coleggwent.ac.uk/courses...ploma_(BE0019)
There isn’t much detail here on the actual content though
Yes, I'd say do this.

You can take the Software Development path way in year 2 which is sure to have some programming modules.
Student1191
Rep:
?
Yes, I'd say do this.

You can take the Software Development path way in year 2 which is sure to have some programming modules.
Would I have the choice of modules though?
yt7777
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Would I have the choice of modules though?
It says you can choose a pathway, either:
- Systems Support / Networking
or
- Software Development

If you choose Software Development pathway it should include several programming modules as well as software engineering modules like: Software Design and Development, Systems Design / Analysis etc. (Check this with your college)
Student1191
Rep:
?
It says you can choose a pathway, either:
- Systems Support / Networking
or
- Software Development

If you choose Software Development pathway it should include several programming modules as well as software engineering modules like: Software Design and Development, Systems Design / Analysis etc. (Check this with your college)
Yeah I’d probably go with that based on my interests anyway but I think it’s the best one to keep degree opportunities open and could give me a head start in some degree modules. Thanks for all your help today!
yt7777
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yeah I’d probably go with that based on my interests anyway but I think it’s the best one to keep degree opportunities open and could give me a head start in some degree modules. Thanks for all your help today!
Yeah for sure, some of the software dev modules cover similar content to degree level software engineering modules, I found anyway.

You'll have many options for your degree too, especially if you can take Maths A level along side it. Even Oxford accept that combination with DDD+A* grades.

From personal experience I found the IT BTEC good preparation for Computer Science at degree level and especially the Software Engineering modules, it allows you to essentially study a broad range of IT and Computing topics to the amount of 3 A levels rather than taking other subjects that you might not be interested in.

No problem at all, let me know if you have any more questions.
Student1191
Rep:
?
Yeah for sure, some of the software dev modules cover similar content to degree level software engineering modules, I found anyway.

You'll have many options for your degree too, especially if you can take Maths A level along side it. Even Oxford accept that combination with DDD+A* grades.

From personal experience I found the IT BTEC good preparation for Computer Science at degree level and especially the Software Engineering modules, it allows you to essentially study a broad range of IT and Computing topics to the amount of 3 A levels rather than taking other subjects that you might not be interested in.

No problem at all, let me know if you have any more questions.
Hi again, another college near me which is an option is offering BTEC in computing and it? Is this actually possible?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How many universities have you heard back from?

0 (89)
13.03%
1 (89)
13.03%
2 (88)
12.88%
18.89%
22.25%
19.91%

Watched Threads