The Student Room Group

Official c1 edexcel a level maths retake 16/05/2018

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ks234r
Haven’t really done much for c1 except sequences. I’m probably gonna do a few papers for c2 and a few Solomon papers. But I’m focusing more on c3, c4 and m1. I’ve done about 15 papers for c3 and 6 for c4. Maths is just repetitive. Just keep practicing past papers and you should get the hang of it.

Need an A

does this sound like enough: (need 90 ums for c1 and 2 because c2 and c4 are hard :frown: )

c1: all edexcel papers, IAL and solomon papers and gold papers
same for c2 ^

thanks x
Original post by Ucashelp
Need an A

does this sound like enough: (need 90 ums for c1 and 2 because c2 and c4 are hard :frown: )

c1: all edexcel papers, IAL and solomon papers and gold papers
same for c2 ^

thanks x

Well getting an A for c1 and c2 isn’t hard if you’ve done c3 and c4. You could easily get an A without doing any c1 but a quick recap unless there are topics you feel uncomfortable with. Try to get high A’s for c1 and c2. C3 and c4 are the ones you should be focusing on more especially since c4 is the killer module. Do as many papers as you can for c3 and c4. Try doing all of them and do Solomon papers since we still have like 40 days till c3 and c4. However I wouldn’t waste my time doing all the past papers for c1 and c2. Physics and maths tutor has exam questions by topic so do all of them for them topics you feel uncomfortable.

Good luck!
Original post by ks234r
Well getting an A for c1 and c2 isn’t hard if you’ve done c3 and c4. You could easily get an A without doing any c1 but a quick recap unless there are topics you feel uncomfortable with. Try to get high A’s for c1 and c2. C3 and c4 are the ones you should be focusing on more especially since c4 is the killer module. Do as many papers as you can for c3 and c4. Try doing all of them and do Solomon papers since we still have like 40 days till c3 and c4. However I wouldn’t waste my time doing all the past papers for c1 and c2. Physics and maths tutor has exam questions by topic so do all of them for them topics you feel uncomfortable.

Good luck!

did you get an A for c1 and c2 last yr? x

for c3 and c4 i've done the mixed exercises and gone through the content but im starting papers after c2 so idk :/

when i do c3 and c4 papers i will do all the edexcel papers, international and sol papers (i have made time for these)
did you get an A for c1 and c2 last yr? x

for c3 and c4 i've done the mixed exercises and gone through the content but im starting papers after c2 so idk :/

when i do c3 and c4 papers i will do all the edexcel papers, international and sol papers (i have made time for these)

I got an A for c1 but a B for C2. Retaking the modules to boost my grades up since c3 and c4 are the killer papers. Yeah definitely do all the papers for c3 and c4. I’m just worried man 😂😂 there’s just so much to do. What other subjects you doing?
Original post by ks234r
I got an A for c1 but a B for C2. Retaking the modules to boost my grades up since c3 and c4 are the killer papers. Yeah definitely do all the papers for c3 and c4. I’m just worried man 😂😂 there’s just so much to do. What other subjects you doing?

sociology: all revision done learnt all the content
rs: all revision done learnt all the content

its just maths thats so long. im predicted AAA but maths takes too much time.

I think we'll get it done. Just make sure you complete ALL the edexcel papers and the Solomon papers. I'm aiming for 90 ums in c1 and c2 but i know i will flop c3 and c4.

is 90ums like 70/75 in c1 and c2? x
Reply 25
Ey chaps I was just thinking, are the grade boundaries going to be astronomically high this year?

Think about it...for last year's and previous years' papers (C1 and C2), not only were year 13s doing retakes, but year 12s (the majority of the candidates) were also doing these papers for the first time. These year 12s would on the whole have been far less experienced (like most of us were last year) and would generally have got a lower mark than all the veteran year 13s who were also doing the same paper.

As the grade boundaries for each paper are based on the overall performance of all the students, this would mean that the year 12s who generally got lower marks would bring the overall grade boundaries down, making it easier for the year 13s doing retakes who could use this to their advantage. This year, there will be no year 12s (who were previously the majority of candidates) sitting this paper, as they will be examined on the new course. This means that only the year 13s (who generally do much better in retakes) will be sitting it, meaning the average mark for each paper will be much higher than usual; hence, the grade boundaries will be much higher in response to this.

I could be wrong but this seems to make sense to me. I think the examiners too will have realised this and so will probably make it an extremely difficult paper (because the last thing examiners want is the majority of candidates getting As) so that a wider range of grades can be attained. Bottom line is were all f u c k ed
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by ruadb0y
Ey chaps I was just thinking, are the grade boundaries going to be astronomically high this year?

Think about it...for last year's and previous years' papers (C1 and C2), not only were year 13s doing retakes, but year 12s (the majority of the candidates) were also doing these papers for the first time. These year 12s would on the whole have been far less experienced (like most of us were last year) and would generally have got a lower mark than all the veteran year 13s who were also doing the same paper.

As the grade boundaries for each paper are based on the overall performance of all the students, this would mean that the year 12s who generally got lower marks would bring the overall grade boundaries down, making it easier for the year 13s doing retakes who could use this to their advantage. This year, there will be no year 12s (who were previously the majority of candidates) sitting this paper, as they will be examined on the new course. This means that only the year 13s (who generally do much better in retakes) will be sitting it, meaning the average mark for each paper will be much higher than usual; hence, the grade boundaries will be much higher in response to this.

I could be wrong but this seems to make sense to me. I think they too will have realised this and so will probably make it an extremely difficult paper (because the last thing examiners want is the majority of candidates getting As) so that a wider range of grades can be attained. Bottom line is were all f u c k ed

hardly anyone doing this paper and the difficulty won't be insane. i think it will be a normal/easy paper.
Reply 27
Last year's paper felt a bit different to previous past papers. I have a feeling they'll probably make it harder this year since I'm guessing most of the students doing it are retakes, unless they're sitting entire A-level Maths in one go.
i dont think it will be really hard this year its the last paper

Lol, that's the perfect time for them to **** us up and go out with a bang. Hopefully is around the same or easier.. Although these exams never get easier..
So far i've done 8 IYGB papers
9 solomon papers
all the standard papers(will redo)
Planning to do IAL & some pure papers
I'm honestly so nervous, like I dont wanna flop again =(
fyi, i've also started going through all the mistakes I made and redoing the questions I got wrong
@Ucashelp
@ruadb0y They may be roughly the same tbh
Original post by ioWolfdinii
So far i've done 8 IYGB papers
9 solomon papers
all the standard papers(will redo)
Planning to do IAL & some pure papers
I'm honestly so nervous, like I dont wanna flop again =(
fyi, i've also started going through all the mistakes I made and redoing the questions I got wrong
@Ucashelp

Nice.

Dont think it will be too bad tbh edexcels last economics paper was super easy too (last ever resit) x
Original post by ioWolfdinii
Hey ya'll, just wondering who's going to do the modular C1 this year? Because I'm redoing it this year. Made this thread because I haven't seen much people speak about it. So just share any tips down below or how your doing and feeling, or also any predictions.
What mistakes did you make last year?
How have you corrected this?
Topics struggling with?
Prediction of questions?
Types of papers practiced?
Do you feel ready?
**My personal answers in comments**

I'm retaking the old C1 next year.

When taking an even root, I constantly forget to put a plus or minus before the number, so I would get the answer wrong. With integration, I'd forget to '+c' so I'd lose a mark. Sometimes finishing the paper really early and finding out later that I've made so many little mistakes which add up and take a big effect on the total score.

As cliché as it sounds, doing practice papers and timing myself. I would also write down mistakes I've made from multiple papers and try and see if there is a correlation between the mistakes and work on those. Also, a website that has really helped is ExamSolutions which give video tutorials on any topic from every module of Edexcel Maths. Link to C1 Module: https://www.examsolutions.net/a-level-maths/edexcel/c1-edexcel-tutorials/

Topics struggling with?
- Coordinate Geometry.
- Sketching curves (mainly because I hate drawing lol).
- Roots and discriminants.

Prediction of questions?
I'm a student just like you so I have no clue. :confused:

I would try some of the Solomon papers on Physics and maths tutor as they offer a bit more of a challenge compared to the past papers.

Do I feel ready?
I'll be ready on the day of the exam. :tongue:
Original post by jeniwarrior
I'm retaking the old C1 next year.

When taking an even root, I constantly forget to put a plus or minus before the number, so I would get the answer wrong. With integration, I'd forget to '+c' so I'd lose a mark. Sometimes finishing the paper really early and finding out later that I've made so many little mistakes which add up and take a big effect on the total score.

As cliché as it sounds, doing practice papers and timing myself. I would also write down mistakes I've made from multiple papers and try and see if there is a correlation between the mistakes and work on those. Also, a website that has really helped is ExamSolutions which give video tutorials on any topic from every module of Edexcel Maths. Link to C1 Module: https://www.examsolutions.net/a-level-maths/edexcel/c1-edexcel-tutorials/

Topics struggling with?
- Coordinate Geometry.
- Sketching curves (mainly because I hate drawing lol).
- Roots and discriminants.

Prediction of questions?
I'm a student just like you so I have no clue. :confused:

I would try some of the Solomon papers on Physics and maths tutor as they offer a bit more of a challenge compared to the past papers.

Do I feel ready?
I'll be ready on the day of the exam. :tongue:

Hahaha lol similiar to me ! I made those little mistakes. Compared to C3&4 C1&2 needs to be spot on this year. One can only hope eh!
Original post by ks234r
Haven’t really done much for c1 except sequences. I’m probably gonna do a few papers for c2 and a few Solomon papers. But I’m focusing more on c3, c4 and m1. I’ve done about 15 papers for c3 and 6 for c4. Maths is just repetitive. Just keep practising past papers and you should get the hang of it.

I am doomed guys. I have C1 coming up too. I don't know what made me procrastinate up to this date but pray guys, this paper doesn't get AWFUL

Spoiler

Original post by o{_osman
I am doomed guys. I have C1 coming up too. I don't know what made me procrastinate up to this date but pray guys, this paper doesn't get AWFUL

Spoiler

Have you done C1 previously before? Have you done C3&4?
I wont judge but it'll take work as well as prayers. I suggest using monday for going through all the solomon papers and learning from them (and standard(2017-2013) if you have time.) Then on Tuesday go through the specification make you you know the formulas not given. Sequences and arithmetic proofs as well as just tighten up loose ends of monday. Honestly, Edexcel are unpredictable so its tough to say but yeah, trying to do that may give you a substantial mark in the exams.
About 36 hours to C1..Who's ready?
im also retaking... and leads on predicted questions?
QUOTE=Ucashelp;77531408]what papers u did so far??

Solomons, Gold, Silver and Bronze. and I left 2017 paper until tomorrow to see how good I became in C1. To be honest, don't because I started C1 today. My main focus is C3,4 and D1. Hope everyone gets what they want or even better.:wink::wink: :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending