The Student Room Group

Access To HE Computing should i do it?

Hello guys i want to become a software engineer however im 21 and i dont have the grades to get into university.......... i didnt get any GCSE's and i think it wont allow me to go university :frown: should i take the access to computing course to get into software engineering course? i would like to go to a top tier university for that course and i will study my ass off and prove to everyone that im not a failure and i can become something good in life but im just not sure i can even start off in the Access course because it requires GCSE's and i dont have any i dont know what to do
Hi,

The first thing you are going to need to focus on is GCSE maths and probably English, then the access course.

Some universities will accept an access course diploma, but will also require at least a GCSE maths or English at C grade.

Depending on your situation, it is possible to do them all in a year. I did my access course & GCSE English at the same time whilst I was working. However, you are still young and it might be preferable to take is slow and complete the GCSEs in the first year, then the access course in the second year, then you can get to uni for the third.
Original post by Insomnianboy
Hello guys i want to become a software engineer however im 21 and i dont have the grades to get into university.......... i didnt get any GCSE's and i think it wont allow me to go university :frown: should i take the access to computing course to get into software engineering course? i would like to go to a top tier university for that course and i will study my ass off and prove to everyone that im not a failure and i can become something good in life but im just not sure i can even start off in the Access course because it requires GCSE's and i dont have any i dont know what to do

You don't need qualifications to become a software engineer. Heck, "engineer" isn't even a protected title in this country.

Get started with a Github account, build some projects and apply for junior positions within local dev companies.
(edited 5 years ago)
Get GCSE english and maths first.

Many things ask for them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending