Graduate Entry Medicine (A101) 2021 Entry Watch

laurenjade24
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ginabpk)
Thank you, I'm hoping everything goes well too as I really, really want that volunteering role, as it sounds fantastic, and very beneficial for when it comes to applying! It must be so handy having 2 great medical schools on your doorstep so to speak. I'm from York, and I'd love to apply to HYMS, but unfortunately dont do a GEM course, so you're so lucky!
Oooh, I was thinking about going to the one in October too if my timetable allows it, so I might see you there! I'm doing a science degree myself but like you, I too need to scrub up on my basic sciences to help me. It can't hurt right? I flunked my GCSE's so I didn't really take in all the information that I needed, so I figure if I brush up on it all now, it will be beneficial for the GAMSAT. Here's hoping anyway I'm more than sure you'll able balance it all, I have every faith. I'd say the best time to sit the exam would be when you have given yourself enough time to learn the content. March sounds like a perfect time to do it IMO, but its whenever you're comfortable. Thank you so much! The hard work starts now lol! :ahhhhh:
Yes for sure the more volunteer/health or care based work experience the better! What is your volunteer work going to entail? Well I’m from Stoke-on-Trent, my closest med school is Keele University but they only accept graduates on their 6 year course which has a health foundation year, and from 2020 they aren’t accepting graduate who don’t hold life science degree so that’s out of the question for me as I studied history 😩 but yeah Nottingham and Warwick are really not too far away from me!

Yeah I think I’ll end up going to the open day in Nottingham in October depending on Work/Uni commitments but hopefully see you there if you go Gina!

I think closer to the time I may buy some a-level science resources just to start prepping and then getting some material that is specific to the GAMSAT; I’m worried about that exam already as there is so much to it! So fingers crossed!

Ahh man I’m excited, nervous and stressed all at the same time!
Sianetapalot
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I'm hoping to apply for the 2021 start if possible also.Have borrowed an old GAMSAT book from library and panicked a bit at the physics as it's really not my strong point. Hoping to sit in Sept.Here's hoping I can get my head round everything
ltsmith
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
i'm ltsmith in my 3rd year studying computer science at edinburgh.

GCSEs: 1A*, 2A, 1B, 3Cs, 1F, 1U
A-Levels: A* (IT), A (Maths), B (Econ), B (Philo)

i'm going to sit the GAMSAT and my choices are: St George's, Swansea, Plymouth and Notts.

for work experience im getting a job as a HCA and i'm gonna work at a charity for the elderly
Sianetapalot
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I had my 1st GAMSAT night mare last night.I'm hoping to go to Notts as I live locally and might have kids by 2021. Got a BNurs and a PgDip in Public Health already so I'm hoping I won't need to do more work exp
lottieelot
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hi. Is this chat still active ? I’ll be applying for graduate entry medicine in October 2020 for entry in October 2021 too. It’d Be nice to keep in touch with people in the same position as me
ginabpk
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
(Original post by lottieelot)
Hi. Is this chat still active ? I’ll be applying for graduate entry medicine in October 2020 for entry in October 2021 too. It’d Be nice to keep in touch with people in the same position as me
Hi! Yeah the chat is still active! I’ve just not been checking my emails for a while as I’ve been busy with uni so apologies for all those who have been kind enough to reply to the thread! It’s great to hear so many are thinking of applying for 2021 entry have you started any preparation yet (I.e. work experience)? I’ve done a fair amount, I’m just worried I haven’t done enough yet even though I’m planning more lol!
GEMapplicant18
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by bsy9)
Hi all,

Hope that the degrees are all going well. I’m now on the other side of the GEM application process and I’m currently selling my GAMSAT materials, if anyone is interested pm me. I didn’t use the standards ones and went with Berkeley review and Examkrackers MCAT books as the reasoning skills are the same and the question banks far bigger than the available GAMSAT ones.
If anyone wants any advice (not pretending to be the guru of all things GAMSAT), I got 72 (65,79,73) on first time around so I’m happy to share the benefits of my experience if you think it’d help. I
Good luck with uni and your applications when you get there!
😊
How many months do you recommend for GAMSAT prep and what materials do you recommend? The courses are expensive - do you recommend any courses?
fawnboyo
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Hi guys, I'm Luke. I'm 21 and I've only just decided to chase my dreams of doing medicine. I always wanted to but when I got a B in biology in year 10, my career's adviser and I both assumed it was for people much smarter than me, and so I stuck with what I found easiest (English).

GCSE: 8 As, 2 Bs

A Level: English Lang A, Media A, Film A, Creative writing A, EPQ A

And now on the home stretch of an incredibly easy, incredibly dull English Language degree. Predicted 2:1, a first would be optimistic, but it's in reach. Unfortunately since I dropped sciences at A Level I'm feeling a bit behind to be even looking at med school. Going to try working through the basics on Khan Academy.

I've got no experience in clinical or care settings yet, but I'll work on that over summer. The GAMSAT sounds crazy hard, so I'm allowing for an extra year to study after uni (but ideally I wouldn't need it). I'm looking at Swansea, their course sounds the most like what I'm after. I live closer to London, but probably couldn't afford to live there and study. My parents choked hard enough when i asked them to loan me for the two years of med school my student loan won't cover!

Nervous and excited about the whole thing, would love to meet others going the GEM route, especially those going from completely random fields, like humanities lol.
Last edited by fawnboyo; 4 months ago
Royal Oak
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by fawnboyo)
Hi guys, I'm Luke. I'm 21 and I've only just decided to chase my dreams of doing medicine. I always wanted to but when I got a B in biology in year 10, my career's adviser and I both assumed it was for people much smarter than me, and so I stuck with what I found easiest (English).

GCSE: 8 As, 2 Bs

A Level: English Lang A, Media A, Film A, Creative writing A, EPQ A

And now on the home stretch of an incredibly easy, incredibly dull English Language degree. Predicted 2:1, a first would be optimistic, but it's in reach. Unfortunately since I dropped sciences at A Level I'm feeling a bit behind to be even looking at med school. Going to try working through the basics on Khan Academy.

I've got no experience in clinical or care settings yet, but I'll work on that over summer. The GAMSAT sounds crazy hard, so I'm allowing for an extra year to study after uni (but ideally I wouldn't need it). I'm looking at Swansea, their course sounds the most like what I'm after. I live closer to London, but probably couldn't afford to live there and study. My parents choked hard enough when i asked them to loan me for the two years of med school my student loan won't cover!

Nervous and excited about the whole thing, would love to meet others going the GEM route, especially those going from completely random fields, like humanities lol.
Are you applying for the four year or five year course?
Swansea University Enquiries
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Royal Oak)
Are you applying for the four year or five year course?
Hi Royal Oak,

Just to clarify, we currently only offer a four-year course (MBBCH Medicine (Graduate Entry)). If anyone has any questions about our course by all means get in touch

Jamie
Royal Oak
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Swansea University Enquiries)
Hi Royal Oak,

Just to clarify, we currently only offer a four-year course (MBBCH Medicine (Graduate Entry)). If anyone has any questions about our course by all means get in touch

Jamie
I am aware. I was just wondering because they mentioned their parents paying for two years of the course so I'm not sure which medical courses in general he intends to apply to!
fawnboyo
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I am aware. I was just wondering because they mentioned their parents paying for two years of the course so I'm not sure which medical courses in general he intends to apply to!
This is from UCAS' website:
The number of years for which you are eligible for funding is calculated as:
Length of current course + one year – years of previous study

Since my English degree will be 3 years, and the new course 4 years (plus the extra 1), that should be enough loan to cover two years of the GEM (but not the other two) unless I'm mistaken.
Royal Oak
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by fawnboyo)
This is from UCAS' website:
The number of years for which you are eligible for funding is calculated as:
Length of current course + one year – years of previous study

Since my English degree will be 3 years, and the new course 4 years (plus the extra 1), that should be enough loan to cover two years of the GEM (but not the other two) unless I'm mistaken.
It's different for medicine as a second degree. You either study GEM (four years) and your whole course is funded bar £3500 you need to pay in your first year + you get a maintenance loan. Or you do the five year course and have to pay for it all yourself bar your final year. There are exceptions to this rule apparently but they aren't the norm.
https://rmbf.org/medical-students/me...ee-in-england/
Last edited by Royal Oak; 4 months ago
fawnboyo
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
It's different for medicine as a second degree. You either study GEM (four years) and your whole course is funded bar £3500 you need to pay in your first year + you get a maintenance loan. Or you do the five year course and have to pay for it all yourself bar your final year. There are exceptions to this rule apparently but they aren't the norm.
https://rmbf.org/medical-students/me...ee-in-england/
Oh, that's really great news! Thanks so much for sharing
emilileigh
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi! I know I’m late to this thread but I was wondering if anyone had any idea on how to get shadowing placements in GP surgeries/hospitals?

I’m looking to apply for 2022 GEM entry (I’m very early!) so I’ll be looking to gain some shadowing experience within the next year.
ginabpk
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi! I was quite fortunate to be able to get shadowing experience at the 1st GP practice I emailed by emailing the practice manager but I understand this isn’t the case for everyone, so all I can suggest is to keep emailing as many GP practices around your area as possible, stating that you’re wanting to apply to medical school - I’m sure some will take you on I would also email the HR of local hospitals too, or if they have a volunteering scheme/charity at your local hospital too, deffo try that as well! For A&E shadowing that I did, I just emailed HR and they put me through to the appropriate people to sort some work experience. I was also lucky to see that York hospital has a volunteering charity that allows you to volunteer in certain roles on the wards - it’s a fantastic experience that I would highly recommend. But if this isn’t possible, care home volunteering and even hospices are also a fantastic opportunity. It’s just getting in contact with the right person

It’s never to early to start preparing I don’t think - it’s better to know that medicine is what you 100% want, plus it gives you the chance to take your time through the application process. I started preparing and looking at unis and whatnot before I even started my 1st degree! Good luck with everything!
(Original post by emilileigh)
Hi! I know I’m late to this thread but I was wondering if anyone had any idea on how to get shadowing placements in GP surgeries/hospitals?

I’m looking to apply for 2022 GEM entry (I’m very early!) so I’ll be looking to gain some shadowing experience within the next year.
Rari
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi ginabpk
I'm taking the gamsat in September 2019 can I ask if you took the gamsat in March 2019 as you mentioned it earlier in your post. Of so how did you find it??
Hi! I was quite fortunate to be able to get shadowing experience at the 1st GP practice I emailed by emailing the practice manager but I understand this isn’t the case for everyone, so all I can suggest is to keep emailing as many GP practices around your area as possible, stating that you’re wanting to apply to medical school - I’m sure some will take you on I would also email the HR of local hospitals too, or if they have a volunteering scheme/charity at your local hospital too, deffo try that as well! For A&E shadowing that I did, I just emailed HR and they put me through to the appropriate people to sort some work experience. I was also lucky to see that York hospital has a volunteering charity that allows you to volunteer in certain roles on the wards - it’s a fantastic experience that I would highly recommend. But if this isn’t possible, care home volunteering and even hospices are also a fantastic opportunity. It’s just getting in contact with the right person

It’s never to early to start preparing I don’t think - it’s better to know that medicine is what you 100% want, plus it gives you the chance to take your time through the application process. I started preparing and looking at unis and whatnot before I even started my 1st degree! Good luck with everything!
ginabpk
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Hi! I originally signed up for the March sitting, but I cancelled it as I was finding it difficult to revise for with uni, personal/family problems and mental health difficulties. Sorry I couldn’t be much help! Good luck for the September sitting!
(Original post by Rari)
Hi ginabpk
I'm taking the gamsat in September 2019 can I ask if you took the gamsat in March 2019 as you mentioned it earlier in your post. Of so how did you find it??
epiones-daughter
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hello all, I have decided to finally chase my dream of applying to GEM after taking a year out post graduating from Biology. I could put together an application for 2020 entry but I think it'll be a bit rushed so I'm going to focus on 2021 entry instead.

GCSEs: 4As 5Bs 2Cs
A-Levels: BBC (Art Business and English)
Science Foundation Year: Pass
BSc Biology: 2:1

Currently I'm applying for jobs and work experience and am trying to find somewhere to take me for A-Level Chemistry exams!
Rari
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi! I originally signed up for the March sitting, but I cancelled it as I was finding it difficult to revise for with uni, personal/family problems and mental health difficulties. Sorry I couldn’t be much help! Good luck for the September sitting!
I'm so sorry to hear about all your troubles. This is my third time taking the Gamsat so hopefully third time lucky. First time I had no idea what to expect so my scores were really not good. Second time I didn't study the way I should have due to uni work and exams. But time I am giving it my all and hope for the best.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (65)
14.41%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (70)
15.52%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (86)
19.07%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (181)
40.13%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (21)
4.66%
No particular grades needed (28)
6.21%