Graduate Entry Medicine (A101) 2021 Entry Watch

epiones-daughter
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Okay so, just wondering everyone's thoughts on this... is it worth me grabbing a cheap (old) UKCAT book to get extra practice in (2015) or should I not bother? I'm just thinking maybe the types of questions won't be too different, but also that it may just get me in to the rhythm of it as a starter, OR is it not worth bothering?
Last edited by epiones-daughter; 3 weeks ago
Ginabpk10
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by georgialharper)
Hello all, I have decided to finally chase my dream of applying to GEM after taking a year out post graduating from Biology. I could put together an application for 2020 entry but I think it'll be a bit rushed so I'm going to focus on 2021 entry instead.

GCSEs: 4As 5Bs 2Cs
A-Levels: BBC (Art Business and English)
Science Foundation Year: Pass
BSc Biology: 2:1

Currently I'm applying for jobs and work experience and am trying to find somewhere to take me for A-Level Chemistry exams!
Hi there! Nice to see someone else also thinking of 2021 entry - sounds like a good plan taking a year out, least you can make sure your application is top notch to give yourself the best chance what uni's are you thinking of applying to?
Well done on the amazing stats, they're impressive! Where are you thinking of applying to for work experience? You're a lot braver than me re-taking A-levels lol! Good luck with everything and make sure to keep us updated!
Ginabpk10
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Rari)
I'm so sorry to hear about all your troubles. This is my third time taking the Gamsat so hopefully third time lucky. First time I had no idea what to expect so my scores were really not good. Second time I didn't study the way I should have due to uni work and exams. But time I am giving it my all and hope for the best.
Thank you, that means a lot you're so much braver than I am, I couldn't even cope doing the GAMSAT once lol! It's a hideous exam. Hopefully now you'll be able to learn from your mistakes and see where you went wrong. Thats what I'm hoping to do with the UCAT. I'm taking it in August as a trial/practice run for next year, so if i do really bad this time, I'm hoping I can learn from it for when it really matters wishing you the absolute best of luck in your revision and for when you sit it. Keep us updated!
Ginabpk10
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Okay so, just wondering everyone's thoughts on this... is it worth me grabbing a cheap (old) UKCAT book to get extra practice in (2015) or should I not bother? I'm just thinking maybe the types of questions won't be too different, but also that it may just get me in to the rhythm of it as a starter, OR is it not worth bothering?
I don't see what harm it would do - at the end of the day, the more practice you do, the better chance you stand when it comes to sitting the real thing. The only thing is, in 2015, DM as it is now was DA (decision analysis), so you may have to find a more recent book or sources to help with DM - I strongly recommend medify! But, honestly, as much practice as possible can't be bad
epiones-daughter
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Ginabpk10)
Hi there! Nice to see someone else also thinking of 2021 entry - sounds like a good plan taking a year out, least you can make sure your application is top notch to give yourself the best chance what uni's are you thinking of applying to?
Well done on the amazing stats, they're impressive! Where are you thinking of applying to for work experience? You're a lot braver than me re-taking A-levels lol! Good luck with everything and make sure to keep us updated!
Hi Gina!
That's what I thought too, I don't wanna hash together something for the sake of it! I'm looking at Newcastle, Nottingham, St George's, Swansea and Warwick, you? Thank you so much for that, I had a hard time during college cause I was really not enjoying it (my maths teacher said I wasn't smart enough to do medicine and that I'd get an E (I got a B so THERE)) haha!

How about you? Where are you looking? I think as well as opening some more potential opportunities for entry, it would defo just boost my confidence in chemistry! I'm currently applying for paid HCA jobs and have a porter interview on Friday, I've applied to help at SJA, work experience coming up with a physio and an orthopaedic surgeon, and I also run a community local theatre company (random I know)

I sure will! I'll be all over this thread haha!
epiones-daughter
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I don't see what harm it would do - at the end of the day, the more practice you do, the better chance you stand when it comes to sitting the real thing. The only thing is, in 2015, DM as it is now was DA (decision analysis), so you may have to find a more recent book or sources to help with DM - I strongly recommend medify! But, honestly, as much practice as possible can't be bad
That's what I was thinking at the end of the day, practice practice practice! But yes, that's a v good point and something to be aware of for the current year I'll take it (2020) and I'll definitely look into medify!
RR5
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hi, I'm also going to be applying to graduate entry medicine for 2021 entry. I am currently studying pharmacy.
epiones-daughter
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by RR5)
Hi, I'm also going to be applying to graduate entry medicine for 2021 entry. I am currently studying pharmacy.
Hello! Welcome! Where are you looking at applying?
RR5
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hello! Welcome! Where are you looking at applying?
Hi. Thank you. I am looking to apply to Warwick, King's, Nottingham and Queen Mary. But my choices might change depending on my UCAT score. Also, can you apply to 5 universities for graduate entry medicine or just 4.
epiones-daughter
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by RR5)
Hi. Thank you. I am looking to apply to Warwick, King's, Nottingham and Queen Mary. But my choices might change depending on my UCAT score. Also, can you apply to 5 universities for graduate entry medicine or just 4.
I think mine may change too based on how well my UKCAT and GAMSAT go! As far as I know just like UG Medicine you have 4 choices for graduate entry medicine but may be able to add a standard course too?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
RR5
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I think mine may change too based on how well my UKCAT and GAMSAT go! As far as I know just like UG Medicine you have 4 choices for graduate entry medicine but may be able to add a standard course too?
I think with the UCAT exam there is a lot books and websites to study from but for GAMSAT I wasn't able to find any good resources online. Oh okay.
What sort of work experience have you done/ or going to do? I know for Warwick university they look closely at your work experience, and I want to be able to show that I have done a range of work experience. I am trying to do all the work experience from now till when I submit my application.
epiones-daughter
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by RR5)
I think with the UCAT exam there is a lot books and websites to study from but for GAMSAT I wasn't able to find any good resources online. Oh okay.
What sort of work experience have you done/ or going to do? I know for Warwick university they look closely at your work experience, and I want to be able to show that I have done a range of work experience. I am trying to do all the work experience from now till when I submit my application.
Yeah, UCAT there’s loads but not so much for gamsat, at least you can find the topics or suggestions of revision online and do those (that’s what I’m planning!)
I’ve shadowed an orthopaedic surgeon and I’m hoping to get back in with him another time of the year, I’m working with a physio for two weeks, and I’m working as a porter (paid) in my local hospital. On top of that I’m applying to volunteer at a local brain injury charity and the emergency department of the hospital, a homeless shelter, and potentially on the ‘SOS Bus’ which goes out in my local town every weekend to make sure the partying people are all good! How about you?
RR5
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Yeah, UCAT there’s loads but not so much for gamsat, at least you can find the topics or suggestions of revision online and do those (that’s what I’m planning!)
I’ve shadowed an orthopaedic surgeon and I’m hoping to get back in with him another time of the year, I’m working with a physio for two weeks, and I’m working as a porter (paid) in my local hospital. On top of that I’m applying to volunteer at a local brain injury charity and the emergency department of the hospital, a homeless shelter, and potentially on the ‘SOS Bus’ which goes out in my local town every weekend to make sure the partying people are all good! How about you?
Thank you, I'm going to look into that. Your going to gain a lot of experience, that's really good. You are going to be able to talk about all of your experience in your personal statement which will show that you have a true passion for medicine. I have only thought about applying to graduate entry medicine recently( 2 months ago) so I started looking into the course and researching about the universities and talking to people who are currently studying medicine. At the moment I am going to start by asking at care homes if I can volunteer there for a few hours a week. I am trying to get work experience at hospitals in different specialities as well, but no one has replied back to me so I might go in and ask. I know I need to do more work experience so I might look into what else I can do as well. How did you manage to get work experiences at hospitals and the emergency department. I know that Warwick University admissions have a specific requirement for work experience that has to be undertaken for an individual to apply there.
epiones-daughter
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by RR5)
Thank you, I'm going to look into that. Your going to gain a lot of experience, that's really good. You are going to be able to talk about all of your experience in your personal statement which will show that you have a true passion for medicine. I have only thought about applying to graduate entry medicine recently( 2 months ago) so I started looking into the course and researching about the universities and talking to people who are currently studying medicine. At the moment I am going to start by asking at care homes if I can volunteer there for a few hours a week. I am trying to get work experience at hospitals in different specialities as well, but no one has replied back to me so I might go in and ask. I know I need to do more work experience so I might look into what else I can do as well. How did you manage to get work experiences at hospitals and the emergency department. I know that Warwick University admissions have a specific requirement for work experience that has to be undertaken for an individual to apply there.
Hi! Although it’s been in the back of my mind as an option for nearly a decade, I’ve only recently (last month or so) taken it seriously as something I may actually be able to do! It’s always been self confidence that’s knocked me, but if you never try you never know!
I actually know an orthopaedic surgeon personally, so I’ve been lucky enough to go and work with him! Yeah, it depends though, if you aren’t able to get hospital experience, I think a lot of universities are quite understanding about the fact it’s quite hard to get into! I found my emergency care volunteer role (still waiting to hear back) by googling ‘hospital volunteers near me’ and seeing what came up!
Although, cause we’re starting so early it means that we can really get to grips with things like where we want to apply, entrance exams etc!
RR5
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by RR5)
Same, it has been in my mind too but I have always thought that I wasn't going to get in so I never even tried applying for it in sixth form. I always thought if I applied for it in sixth form then i'll never getting any offers, so I did a degree that I thought I will be good at. But 2 months ago, after reading online about other students who have applied to graduate entry medicine and emailing universities about the course, I have gained confidence in applying but even know I'm still doubting myself if I am good enough for medicine. Thank you, i'll try seeing if there is any volunteering opportunity locally for me.
Same, it has been in my mind too but I have always thought that I wasn't going to get in so I never even tried applying for it in sixth form. I always thought if I applied for it in sixth form then i'll never getting any offers, so I did a degree that I thought I will be good at. But 2 months ago, after reading online about other students who have applied to graduate entry medicine and emailing universities about the course, I have gained confidence in applying but even know I'm still doubting myself if I am good enough for medicine. Thank you, i'll try seeing if there is any volunteering opportunity locally for me.
epiones-daughter
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by RR5)
I would say there's no point in doubting yourself cause you've made the decision its your passion, so focus on making it your reality!
geran
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I was thinking about going to the one in October too if my timetable allows it, so I might see you there
epiones-daughter
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by geran)
I was thinking about going to the one in October too if my timetable allows it, so I might see you there
Fab!
Rari
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Thank you, that means a lot you're so much braver than I am, I couldn't even cope doing the GAMSAT once lol! It's a hideous exam. Hopefully now you'll be able to learn from your mistakes and see where you went wrong. Thats what I'm hoping to do with the UCAT. I'm taking it in August as a trial/practice run for next year, so if i do really bad this time, I'm hoping I can learn from it for when it really matters wishing you the absolute best of luck in your revision and for when you sit it. Keep us updated!
Thank you, I know this is such a stressful time for everyone. I did the UKcat twice too, didn't do well, I understand the Gamsat much better even though it is a much more intense exam. I
have a degree in bio medicine and am just finishing my Master's. I had an accident whilst doing my degree and passed with a 2:2, I was well above average before the accident, I had a foots injury and have had to work extra hard.

I haven't given up.

I have my gamsat exam on the 11th September 2019 and my UKcat on the 2nd October 2019. I haven't done any preparation for the UKcat at all my main focus is the Gamsat and finishing my master's.
I'm currently volunteering, working with children with disabilities hoping to get further experience once the gamsat is over.

Been though a lot and my destination still seems so far away but I won't give up with giving it my all.
RR5
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Rari)
Thank you, I know this is such a stressful time for everyone. I did the UKcat twice too, didn't do well, I understand the Gamsat much better even though it is a much more intense exam. I
have a degree in bio medicine and am just finishing my Master's. I had an accident whilst doing my degree and passed with a 2:2, I was well above average before the accident, I had a foots injury and have had to work extra hard.

I haven't given up.

I have my gamsat exam on the 11th September 2019 and my UKcat on the 2nd October 2019. I haven't done any preparation for the UKcat at all my main focus is the Gamsat and finishing my master's.
I'm currently volunteering, working with children with disabilities hoping to get further experience once the gamsat is over.

Been though a lot and my destination still seems so far away but I won't give up with giving it my all.
Good luck for your exams. I hope you do really well and get into medicine. How are you preparing for GAMSAT exam?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (213)
12.75%
Excited (150)
8.98%
Worried (302)
18.07%
Terrified (374)
22.38%
Meh (154)
9.22%
Confused (37)
2.21%