jzdzm
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Opisthokont)
Hey guys!

Hope you're all well

I am about to begin my third year of Medical Biochemistry, hoping to apply for GEM in 2021, fingers crossed! Just wondering whether you have to make a UCAS account to sit the UCAT, as I will be doing a trial run of the UCAT and GAMSAT next month?
No, you can register for UCAT without a UCAS account.

Not sure it's worth the money to do a practice run when you can do lots of them on medify/ other site of your choice much more cheaply. But I guess if you have money to burn why not...
Opisthokont
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by jzdzm)
No, you can register for UCAT without a UCAS account.

Not sure it's worth the money to do a practice run when you can do lots of them on medify/ other site of your choice much more cheaply. But I guess if you have money to burn why not...
thanks for the reply, medify is great but I just want to get a feel for the strict timed conditions of the test centre, so I know what to expect for the real one in 2020!
meganh5
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Hey guys!

Hope you're all well
hi
I am about to begin my third year of Medical Biochemistry, hoping to apply for GEM in 2021, fingers crossed! Just wondering whether you have to make a UCAS account to sit the UCAT, as I will be doing a trial run of the UCAT and GAMSAT next month?
Hi are you applying for UCAT test and UCAS in 2020 for entry in sep 2021 ? I am a bit confused on when I need to apply for UCAT.
lottieelot
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by meganh5)
Hi are you applying for UCAT test and UCAS in 2020 for entry in sep 2021 ? I am a bit confused on when I need to apply for UCAT.
IF your work applying for septmeber 2021 entry you will need to sit theUCAT in August - October of 2020. And will send of your ucas application by October 2020.
Opisthokont
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Hey, usually you would sit the UCAT the year before course entry, as the results are valid for one year. For example, entry onto the 2021 course would mean you would take the test during July-Oct of 2020.
However, in my case, I will be doing a practice run of the UCAT in September 2019 and then hopefully do the real thing in July-Oct of 2020 for 2021 entry.

Hope that cleared things up
meganh5
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by lottieelot)
IF your work applying for septmeber 2021 entry you will need to sit theUCAT in August - October of 2020. And will send of your ucas application by October 2020.
Thank you
meganh5
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Hey, usually you would sit the UCAT the year before course entry, as the results are valid for one year. For example, entry onto the 2021 course would mean you would take the test during July-Oct of 2020.
However, in my case, I will be doing a practice run of the UCAT in September 2019 and then hopefully do the real thing in July-Oct of 2020 for 2021 entry.

Hope that cleared things up
Oh perfect thanks.. what unis are you applying for ?
Opisthokont
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Oh perfect thanks.. what unis are you applying for ?
It depends on whether I do better on the GAMSAT or UCAT
FinalMasquerade
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Hi all,

Are there any here who have no bio-chemistry background and are planning to apply for GEM as an elder student?

I am currently studying for the GAMSAT. Having very little background knowledge of the hard sciences is making it rather tricky initially.
Opisthokont
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by FinalMasquerade)
Hi all,

Are there any here who have no bio-chemistry background and are planning to apply for GEM as an elder student?

I am currently studying for the GAMSAT. Having very little background knowledge of the hard sciences is making it rather tricky initially.
Don't let that put you off! I come from a science background, but I was not really at an advantage. Having sat the GAMSAT this month, section 3 is more about using your reasoning and logic to derive an answer. It requires critical analysis rather than recall of information. There is very little science knowledge required, infact, they tend to give you all the scientific information in the stem of the question. You can find the answer in the question. There are LOADS of graphs/diagrams which can be tricky to analyse. It would be a good idea to get a general overview of the sciences but focus revision on being able to interpret graphs and manipulate equations!

Hope that helps
Last edited by Opisthokont; 10 months ago
MyGEMJourney
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
given how my GAMSAT went I think i’ll be going for 2021 entry too 😂
Opisthokont
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by MyGEMJourney)
given how my GAMSAT went I think i’ll be going for 2021 entry too 😂
It was terrible! I'm so glad it was a practice run for me lol
FinalMasquerade
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Don't let that put you off! I come from a science background, but I was not really at an advantage. Having sat the GAMSAT this month, section 3 is more about using your reasoning and logic to derive an answer. It requires critical analysis rather than recall of information. There is very little science knowledge required, infact, they tend to give you all the scientific information in the stem of the question. You can find the answer in the question. There are LOADS of graphs/diagrams which can be tricky to analyse. It would be a good idea to get a general overview of the sciences but focus revision on being able to interpret graphs and manipulate equations!

Hope that helps
Hi Opisthokont,

That is actually very reassuring to know. Thank you. I am planning to sit for next September, but I may also try for the March sitting as a type of 'practice run'.

What sorts of materials did you use to prepare, if you do not mind me asking?
Opisthokont
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by FinalMasquerade)
Hi Opisthokont,

That is actually very reassuring to know. Thank you. I am planning to sit for next September, but I may also try for the March sitting as a type of 'practice run'.

What sorts of materials did you use to prepare, if you do not mind me asking?
Mainly des o neil as I did not want to waste the official acer practice tests on a practice
MedBmeD
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Hi all,

I'm currently studying Biomedical science and i've just started my second year this week. I just have a question for those who are in second year too of any course... are you planning to apply next year to submit by october 2020 for 2021 entry?
catherinelford21
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Hey all,
I'm applying to GEM next year, graduating with a predicted 1st. Graduate Entry Medicine is a nightmare regarding information.
stUd-ent
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Hi all, I am third year biomedical science student, hoping to apply for 2021 entry, did the UCAT this year but didn't go that great so going to try next year
jessie1.xx
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Hi everyone! I am an MPharm graduate with a 2.1. I've had one year work experience as a pre reg pharmacist back in 2017-2018, but trying to arrange more shadowing/hands on/volunteering experience. I'm considering taking both the UCAT and GAMSAT next year.
MrOmoba
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
If I am applying for the 2021 Grad entry when will I need to take my GAMSAT and UCAT exams?
lottieelot
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by MrOmoba)
If I am applying for the 2021 Grad entry when will I need to take my GAMSAT and UCAT exams?
The UCAT you sit in then summer of 2020, so that you can apply in the October of 2020 for entry in September 2021.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you feel about your grades? Are they...

What I expected (162)
24.85%
Better than expected (132)
20.25%
Worse than expected (358)
54.91%

Watched Threads