The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I am a pharmacist registered with GPhC.. does this mean I do not need upper second class honours ? Thank you :smile:
Original post by upsidemango14
Can I ask what a competitive UCAT score is considered for GEM? You mention that 660 avg is not that brilliant in your video when most people would say its great.

southampton you'll want around 715, barts 690ish (this is quite borderline), Newcastle around 730.

Warwick as I suggested would be fine (in more recent years), or a university like Birmingham who weight more on academics. so if you don't have a first and apply to UCAT universities, Warwick would be your only option if you got a score like this - unless you met all the quite strict bits of Sheffield entry req's.
Original post by AdrianaCZ
I am a pharmacist registered with GPhC.. does this mean I do not need upper second class honours ? Thank you :smile:

Double check with Newcastle, but as the admissions page would seem to suggest you should be okay.
Original post by revolvingseed
Hey, in the same financial position as you. At least you got a prediction, atm I don’t have predictions until September looking at 2:1/1st though.
Finally decided the unis I kept switching NCL, Southampton, KCL and Warwick.
I already booked ucats for September (don’t start until October) so now it is just preparing

Hey it's a shame about not giving funding to people doing A100 as an exception.

How are you finding W/E ? that was what worried me the most until a few days ago where I read that Warwick and St George's are accepting work experience from the past 4 years.
By the way Southampton changed entry req’s so no a level reqs and they still accept any degree
Not sure if my GAMSAT results are too borderline. I scored 61/63/50 but some are saying cutoffs may rise. Would rather focus on UCAT than sit again in September.. is this wise?
Original post by bulgylau
Hey it's a shame about not giving funding to people doing A100 as an exception.

How are you finding W/E ? that was what worried me the most until a few days ago where I read that Warwick and St George's are accepting work experience from the past 4 years.

For W/E I had work experience of training how to look after a man with Huntington’s disease through Disability North (16 hours), my friend’s mum is a HCA so she referred to an agency that places HCAs at care homes so I am currently working as a HCA atm (which will be 50hrs) but for the remaining 4 hours I am currently emailing chiropractic clinics, acupuncture clinics and GPs to shadow to complete the 70 hrs. I am also considering shadow a optometrist too. If it goes back 4 years then I could count the taster day at QMUL for Medicine and learned how to draw blood and shadowing doctors for the day.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by melamedic
Not sure if my GAMSAT results are too borderline. I scored 61/63/50 but some are saying cutoffs may rise. Would rather focus on UCAT than sit again in September.. is this wise?

It really depends which GAMSAT uni’s you wanted to apply to. Also i’d look at whether the do the normal GAMSAT weighting where your average would be 56 vs single weighted S3 where you’d have 58. Might make a difference!
Original post by ChemGirl95
It really depends which GAMSAT uni’s you wanted to apply to. Also i’d look at whether the do the normal GAMSAT weighting where your average would be 56 vs single weighted S3 where you’d have 58. Might make a difference!

Hey! Tbh I’ve had a think and the only GAMSAT uni I want to apply to is Nottingham, where S3 is single weighted. I am just concerned that the cutoffs will rise, even though their cutoffs have been 55 the past couple years.
Hey! Tbh I’ve had a think and the only GAMSAT uni I want to apply to is Nottingham, where S3 is single weighted. I am just concerned that the cutoffs will rise, even though their cutoffs have been 55 the past couple years.

if you really love Nottingham, then apply and risk it. but only if you have three or at the very least two other solid options!
Original post by TheGraduateMedic
if you really love Nottingham, then apply and risk it. but only if you have three or at the very least two other solid options!

My other three options will be UCAT unis, but as UCAT testing hasn’t started yet I am just going to have to risk it and work for a good score!

If they’re single weighted you might be alright with 58! I doubt it will shift 3 whole points...the average only shifted like 1 point to the right from what I’ve seen
Original post by ChemGirl95
If they’re single weighted you might be alright with 58! I doubt it will shift 3 whole points...the average only shifted like 1 point to the right from what I’ve seen

Thanks for the reassurance! I guess universities also have the September sitting to consider before deciding on a cutoff score. Hope your application process goes smoothly!!
Reply 1592
Does anyone know if St George's calculate the GAMSAT score by giving equal weight to all 3 sections or the normal weighting of x2 to section III?
Reply 1593
Hi!

I’m a midwife applying for GEM 2021 entry too! How have you found prepping for the UCAT? And where are you looking to apply? It’s nice to come across someone who’s in the same boat! :smile:
Original post by HPGEM
Hi!

I’m a midwife applying for GEM 2021 entry too! How have you found prepping for the UCAT? And where are you looking to apply? It’s nice to come across someone who’s in the same boat! :smile:

Hey!! Nice to hear from you 😃 I actually was offered a place and am starting in Sept 2020. Happy to chat if you’ve got questions- send me a DM.

I ended up applying to 2 GEM and 2 undergrad and got a place on an undergrad course. Highly recommend Medify for UCAT practice - you have to pay but it was definitely worth it for the huge online question bank 😊 much better than using books.

M
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 1595
Congratulations! That’s amazing. Where will you be studying?

I was planning on applying to 4 GEM as I wasn’t sure if I’d be suitable for undergrad! I don’t have and a level qualifications or particularly outstanding GCSE’s. I also wasn’t sure on the funding/finance available given that I’ve already done one degree!

Thanks for the advice! I’ve booked onto my ucat and been preparing myself. I’m not overly worried, some of the sections seem quite challenging at the moment but I’m just doing a little bit everyday and my score and time are definitely improving! I’m using Medify already and agree it’s really good! I got a couple of books and wish I hadn’t bothered as I haven’t used them! 😂
The cut offs are generally the same, if not harder for undergrad med (Plymouth is highest in country, Exeter is 60 and liverpool undergrad is the same gamsat cut off for both courses generally)

Original post by revolvingseed
I would highly recommend focusing on UCATs as when you apply as a graduate to the standard 5 year, you are competing with A Level students as well as other graduates so they typically pick the highest scores for the course

Original post by Lewis T K
All Scottish med schools (accept for St. Andrews) accept grads onto their traditional 5 year undergrad MBChB courses. They only use academic qualifications and UCAT scores

Thanks guys! :smile:
Does anyone have up-to-date information on the number of those interviewed and/or the number of places available for the various GEM programmes? I've seen the one on Medic Portal but I think it's been a while since that was updated. Thought to ask on here before I went and emailed a bunch of admissions teams :tongue:
Original post by Argonaute
Does anyone have up-to-date information on the number of those interviewed and/or the number of places available for the various GEM programmes? I've seen the one on Medic Portal but I think it's been a while since that was updated. Thought to ask on here before I went and emailed a bunch of admissions teams :tongue:

You should check out this website https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/medicine_a100_admission_statisti_29 and the GMC on the statistics. Some universities may not release the info due to data protection like Southampton (last I checked but I could be wrong).
southampton you'll want around 715, barts 690ish (this is quite borderline), Newcastle around 730.

Warwick as I suggested would be fine (in more recent years), or a university like Birmingham who weight more on academics. so if you don't have a first and apply to UCAT universities, Warwick would be your only option if you got a score like this - unless you met all the quite strict bits of Sheffield entry req's.

Double check with Newcastle, but as the admissions page would seem to suggest you should be okay.

Hi, wondering if you know what would be considered a competitive UCAT score for gem at King's?

Latest

Trending

Trending