lauren_jones23
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
How do I structure and answer a Russian Aqa tsarist spruce where there is the 3 sources, how do I structure it?
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by lauren_jones23)
How do I structure and answer a Russian Aqa tsarist spruce where there is the 3 sources, how do I structure it?
Hard to say without seeing the sources.

Are you sure there is a Russian Tsarist source question?

Spec makes that look like component 1, whereas its component 2 for the source question?

https://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/hist...on-at-a-glance

Just from my observation.

Have you looked at the exemplars and mark schemes? Source questions is as much about methodology as content.

Set the question up then you have two choices.
1. Examine each bit of evidence in its own paragraph, then do an evaluation.

2. Examine each bit under a chosen heading using aspects of each source on the issue under investigation. Evaluate at the end.

Keep asking yourself who, why, audience, content, context, accuracy, significance, value.
lauren_jones23
Rep:
?
[attach]741176[/attach
lauren_jones23
Rep:
?
Yeah the source looks like this
lauren_jones23
Rep:
?
Name:  C2335440-0FCE-4634-A471-8B77E0B343E6.jpg.jpeg
Views: 198
Size:  23.7 KB
TobyLerone69
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Answer the question backing with your own knowledge and throwing in keywords, dates, and phrases from the source whilst making sure to label which source it is coming from. Make sure you are answering the question and picking out its keywords such as "assess" or "analyse." If I remember correctly, the structure to answering sources is however you want to make it. It doesn't matter what order you pick and choose items from the source, all that matters is that you use the sources as much as possible to back up whatever argument you are suggesting.

So if the source is on something like the industrial growth and whether Russia was doing well leading up to the First World war (worst kind of question), create your argument stating yes, but make sure you say what their failures were. Like, railways were minimal but growing, imports/exports were lagging, the number of people in industry was smaller compared to other states as everyone was still a peasant in the rural areas.

Or if the question is asking you to examine the reasons for the 1905 revolution and and massacre, use the source to inform the reader about the poor job Russia did in realising the Japanese were better than them, due to their sudden industrial revolution etc. The pogroms etc etc. Sources are about applying what you know whilst backing them up with what is in the source. If what you are saying doesn't fit with the source it is most likely because you are wrong.

I used to hate sources but now realise they were a massive help for preparing for university and analysing works of academics to help frame arguments, so get comfortable with answering them.
Ray_Shadows
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
yo this is exactly what i need aswell
TobyLerone69
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Ray_Shadows)
yo this is exactly what i need aswell
In AS I studied the Holocaust and Tsarist Russia, they were both really interesting- Germany was the essay and source review, whilst Russia was the 100% essay exam
lauren_jones23
Rep:
?
Do you like pick an main argument in each extract and say for and against the point. And do two subsidiary arguments and for and against for all the extracts?

As my old teacher said that but my new one is contradicting it
Audrey18
Badges: 21
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by TobyLerone69)
In AS I studied the Holocaust and Tsarist Russia, they were both really interesting- Germany was the essay and source review, whilst Russia was the 100% essay exam
could you share on how you answered the holocaust source questions? it'll be better if you could provide samples of how to answer them and it'll be nice if you could provide any material your college gave you on this. thanks.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (74)
22.7%
Excited but a bit nervous (148)
45.4%
Not bothered either way (38)
11.66%
I'm really nervous (66)
20.25%

Watched Threads