University of Gloucestershire - Lack of Prestige?

Watch
Lxs152
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I'm currently a US undergraduate student. I originally planned to study law at either Sheffield, Exeter, Bristol, or Gloucestershire. My GPA will likely be 0.1 points too low (at application time) for the first three. This is due to an event that happened in my life during my first year so I'd rather no one is rude. However, for Gloucestershire I am already above the requirements. An option is for me to top it off with an LLM at Bristol after (international law).
Note: do NOT spend this thread discussing how bad X school is...I want true advice, not juvenile teenagers (or adults).
I like Gloucestershire because of the campus I would study at, the people I know from there, and the price for international students is less than the others. I already attend a four year uni with $40k per year.
In America, uni name is very important. Prestige matters and you will be excluded if you don't have it. So, I'm concerned about the prestige of Glos and therefore the job opportunities upon completion of the law course. I do NOT want to work in London at a MC firm. I'd rather not sign my young life away. I'm open to multiple career paths (ie consultancy, marketing, accountancy, etc) but I'd prefer law in a regional firm.
YES I AM AWARE that I need a sponsor and if I do not marry my British fiancé by 2022 then it will be okay because I'm planning ahead.
I am truly giving up a lot for this, such as my parents who strongly disapprove as well as a US law degree. As such, I need to know that it won't be for naught.
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Lxs152)
You kind of count out any possible answer, if you 'do NOT [want to] spend this thread discussing how bad school X is' then don't ask about what you already seem to know. Gloucester has no positive reputation at all, you will be paying overseas fees for a no-name, regional University, with all that means in terms of future career. Bristol, Exeter are the only ones worth spending overseas fees on, in that order.

What exactly IS your question here?
Lxs152
Rep:
?
(Original post by threeportdrift)
You kind of count out any possible answer, if you 'do NOT [want to] spend this thread discussing how bad school X is' then don't ask about what you already seem to know. Gloucester has no positive reputation at all, you will be paying overseas fees for a no-name, regional University, with all that means in terms of future career. Bristol, Exeter are the only ones worth spending overseas fees on, in that order.

What exactly IS your question here?
Suppose I should have summarised. My overarching question is does prestige truly matter that much, if not for top law firms and such? As in will someone actually look at an application, see the uni name, and throw it in the bin because it's simply not high ranked?
Because I've read very prominent users like JSP tell people that you can make up for it by your extracurriculars, work you do during, etc (make a better CV to outdo the lack of a good uni).
threeportdrift
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Suppose I should have summarised. My overarching question is does prestige truly matter that much, if not for top law firms and such? As in will someone actually look at an application, see the uni name, and throw it in the bin because it's simply not high ranked?
Because I've read very prominent users like JSP tell people that you can make up for it by your extracurriculars, work you do during, etc (make a better CV to outdo the lack of a good uni).
In businesses like law and consulting, where a company is basically 'selling on' the quality of its staff, then yes, it does matter, unless you are content to be a market town solicitor where it is entirely local reputation that brings people in for conveyancing, will writing etc. Absolutely nothing wrong with that, they are the foundation of the business, but that's where Glos will get you. Given you pay the same price to get Bristol on your CV, which will get you anywhere you personally can achieve, it makes no real sense to go to Glos unless there are equally significant aspects of the next 40-50 years of your life that you need to factor in.
Lxs152
Rep:
?
In businesses like law and consulting, where a company is basically 'selling on' the quality of its staff, then yes, it does matter, unless you are content to be a market town solicitor where it is entirely local reputation that brings people in for conveyancing, will writing etc. Absolutely nothing wrong with that, they are the foundation of the business, but that's where Glos will get you. Given you pay the same price to get Bristol on your CV, which will get you anywhere you personally can achieve, it makes no real sense to go to Glos unless there are equally significant aspects of the next 40-50 years of your life that you need to factor in.
So then what do you suggest about my GPA being 0.1 points below what it needs to be? Would I write an addendum explaining why, like I would for a US school, and you think I would be accepted? I know that's hard to say but I have shown obvious improvement since that occurrence, I'm involved in numerous extracurriculars, and will be working my uni's law school in the fall.
It is extremely significant, otherwise I would blame it on myself. The issue is if they don't give me a conditional offer despite my addendum.
threeportdrift
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
So then what do you suggest about my GPA being 0.1 points below what it needs to be? Would I write an addendum explaining why, like I would for a US school, and you think I would be accepted? I know that's hard to say but I have shown obvious improvement since that occurrence, I'm involved in numerous extracurriculars, and will be working my uni's law school in the fall.
It is extremely significant, otherwise I would blame it on myself. The issue is if they don't give me a conditional offer despite my addendum.
I think you should just apply and take your chances. The grades are only the 'usual' grades requested not hard minimums, you might get a conditional offer you can make, and you might get your place confirmed even if you miss by 0.1.
Lxs152
Rep:
?
I think you should just apply and take your chances. The grades are only the 'usual' grades requested not hard minimums, you might get a conditional offer you can make, and you might get your place confirmed even if you miss by 0.1.
Oh interesting. That seems much better than our systems where you don't get in unless you have a 3.9 end of.

Thank you for your help.
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I have given you advice on this topic in quite a serious and considered way. I hope you're not implying that my advice was juvenile.

As above, you've been given a lot of serious advice by many posters on this issue previously. You have been given even more advice from another esteemed poster in this thread. I see little point having this conversation again, unfortunately.
Lxs152
Rep:
?
(Original post by Notoriety)
I have given you advice on this topic in quite a serious and considered way. I hope you're not implying that my advice was juvenile.

As above, you've been given a lot of serious advice by many posters on this issue previously. You have been given even more advice from another esteemed poster in this thread. I see little point having this conversation again, unfortunately.
No, in the one other post I made about this I did not experience juvenile advice (that I recall). I asked again in a different way because I wanted more opinions.

Because you are someone who I do not know and cannot blindly trust, I wanted to know what other people thought as I have seen both sides defended since I made the original post. I take strong consideration of what everyone says, but it is important to me to not only trust a few people because they are 'esteemed' on a forum.

The above advice has helped me a lot. I will of course apply to Bristol but as I mentioned, being 0.1 below their required GPA is what I fear, in which case I was pondering Glos.
Lxs152
Rep:
?
(Original post by J-SP)
There are a lot of what-ifs here that make it difficult to give you clear advice.

I recruited a Gloucestershire grad for a MC firm - so clearly it is possible. But that is 1 person out of 1000s over the last 6-7 years. In comparison, it will have been over 50 from Bristol, probably over 30 from Exeter and over 10 from Sheffield (but that doesn't tell you how many people applied from those unis).

The difficulty is that very few firms will go to Gloucestershire to do campus events - you will only get regional firms targetting the uni, and these firms tend to not have a huge amount of resource to actually commit to events.

If there are mitigating circumstances to your grades, I would be flagging that up to the other universities so they can still consider your application.

If the work permit is still needed, that is going to be your biggest issue, especially with the SQE coming in.
I would much prefer to work in a regional firm, or a [regional] career in consultancy or anything of the like. Was that person recruited because of connections or more so stellar extracurriculars and marks?

I was paralysed during my high school years due to a virus and I had a sort of residual episode in my first year of uni. I'm not sure how to go about discussing that without sounding like I'm complaining.

So you believe the SQE will make it more difficult for international students?
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by J-SP)
What’s with this new character you seem to be playing on here? If it’s supposed to be funny, I really don’t get it.
The heavier into exam period we get, the more irritable John gets. Can't really blame him.
Lxs152
Rep:
?
Lovely, thank you for taking the time to type that.
Joleee
Badges: 19
Report 3 years ago
honestly i wouldn't do it. go to the best school you can (at least top 30). law is extremely competitive. don't know if you know the grading system here, but it's much different from the US (well at least Canada where i'm from). first off, half the class will never become lawyers because (on average) half the class won't graduate with a high enough mark (these are average schools. i'm sure it's different in the top 5-10). then you have to complete for work placements and training contracts which narrows the pool even further. plus there's like, what, a hundred law schools here?

sorry i know i'm not being very positive. this is coming from someone whose law school was #16 when i started and even i'm ******** myself.
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Joleee)
honestly i wouldn't do it. go to the best school you can (at least top 30). law is extremely competitive. don't know if you know the grading system here, but it's much different from the US (well at least Canada where i'm from). first off, half the class will never become lawyers because (on average) half the class won't graduate with a high enough mark (these are average schools. i'm sure it's different in the top 5-10). then you have to complete for work placements and training contracts which narrows the pool even further. plus there's like, what, a hundred law schools here?

sorry i know i'm not being very positive. this is coming from someone whose law school was #16 when i started and even i'm ******** myself.
I don't agree with this assessment. Half the class won't have a desire to become a lawyer after studying law or perhaps they matriculated even without an intention. It does not come down to "high enough mark". I know several first classers who've gone to work on general grad schemes and several mid 2:1ers who've go on to CC, Linky and so on.
Joleee
Report 3 years ago
okay well half the class won't get a 2.1. no 2.1 and you will never become a lawyer. better?
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Joleee)
okay well half the class won't get a 2.1. no 2.1 and you will never become a lawyer. better?
No, more than 50% of students will get 2:1 or better. Normally it's about 80% or more. Yet you say 50% of a graduating class will go on to become lawyers? Must mean they choose not to practice rather than they are prevented by their grades.

Of course, getting the grade is not really the issue. You will have to do a whole lot more than that to get a TC.
Joleee
Report 3 years ago
really? not at my school. lol maybe i go to a *****y school. i don't go to a top 5-10.
Joleee
Report 3 years ago
this gives me hope though!
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I am glad to help.

Check your law course on Unistats. I would be very surprised if it's 50% getting 2:1 or better.
Joleee
Report 3 years ago
yes i've checked!! many many times. only half the students in year two get a 2.1, and this is the same every year (well they give you a 3 year history).

maybe students make up for it in year 3 (i hope so). unless my school just marks harder or we're all full of dummies. :rolleyes:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (3)
3.53%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (12)
14.12%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (16)
18.82%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (9)
10.59%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (29)
34.12%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (16)
18.82%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed