bete noire
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Why is there such a negative perception of this subject?
Custer
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Far too easy...
lodzinski
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
generally considered a joke subject both by people who take it and by (ironically) the media.
Hanzing
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Because the Majority of people dont take it, and so assume that it is purely a mickey course of watching tv.. However taking it at A-level (God knws I got my share of comments) I can only say that those who dont take it dont realise that it can be one of the most interesting, fun and challenging topics. Everyday we watch tvs and films granted.. But everyday we dont have to write 4,000 words analysing contexts, imagery and messages subtly planted in these programmes. That with exams which actually exist of students having to watch clips and analyse them on the spot (not my most enjoyable exam ever.. beleive me - first, and last exam I ever failed in my entire life was a media one.)
Personally I think its got a bad rep, which is underserved. Societies changing, I think all subjects ranging the academic spectrum deserve respect.
lodzinski
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
its the same with business studies/economics. the latter is more prestigious despite that the former is far more useful.
bete noire
Rep:
?
(Original post by kastro9)
Far too easy...
Have you taken it ever?
lulubelle
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
generally because of the type of person who takes it - in my school is all the 'dumb blondes'
Hanzing
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
All the people in my english class were dumb blondes.. making the teacher spell words over and over.. (God the memories) however thats not viewed badly..
bete noire
Rep:
?
Those people always flunk out in as though cause they thought it'd be a doss. Same goes for film studies too, both really underrated subjects in terms of how academic they are I think
lulubelle
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
perhaps...things like media studies/business studies are not regarded very highly because they are quite easy to pass but, saying that, also quite difficult to get a high mark in....?
Hanzing
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Definately duck, People that view media as a doss subject tend to fail. In my A-level group I know a couple definately did because they viewed it as easy, when really to pass you need to do a lot of work- nt only the 1st year camera project, the numerous essays every couple weeks on films and the 2nd year project but also the written and the video accompanied exam.
an_end_has_a_start
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
a lot of people take it, its like business, its assumed that the more people take it the easier it is, this is NOT the case!! i hate all this thing about 'easy a levels' there is no easy a levels, only arrogant people :-) who think they are better than everyone else because they are doing every science and maths under the sun!

sorry that is my opinion
Glutamic Acid
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by an_end_has_a_start)
who think they are better than everyone else because they are doing every science and maths under the sun!

sorry that is my opinion
Talk about generalizing.
bete noire
Rep:
?
Mate, I've been browsing this place for a couple of months and it generally seems to be the attitude
Jump
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
It's a new subject. Try to remember that a couple of centuries ago History wasn't a subject as such, and was considered 'mickey mouse' for a long time after it became common on the curriculum. Having taken Media and English Lit, I would say the two are very similar in terms of skills required to hit the top grades. However since people tend to interact with media for 'fun' it is assumed the subject is easy, whereas most people don't read that much these days so Eng Lit is seen as hard because you have to bother reading the text before analysing it, fair enough. But the analytical skills are near enough identical.
an_end_has_a_start
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Talk about generalizing.
i said 'those' who think they're better i do not recall saying Everyone who does sciences and maths think they're better than everyone else. i used those subjects because they are very academic (i think although i dont do any of them) and i've noticed, that some people who are more academically minded than others think this makes them far better people than those who maybe arn't so bright academically speaking but are better at creative subjects. its mearly an opinion
Hanzing
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Jump)
It's a new subject. Try to remember that a couple of centuries ago History wasn't a subject as such, and was considered 'mickey mouse' for a long time after it became common on the curriculum. Having taken Media and English Lit, I would say the two are very similar in terms of skills required to hit the top grades. However since people tend to interact with media for 'fun' it is assumed the subject is easy, whereas most people don't read that much these days so Eng Lit is seen as hard because you have to bother reading the text before analysing it, fair enough. But the analytical skills are near enough identical.
Thats a pretty good way to sum it up
Glutamic Acid
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by an_end_has_a_start)
i said 'those' who think they're better i do not recall saying Everyone who does sciences and maths think they're better than everyone else. i used those subjects because they are very academic (i think although i dont do any of them) and i've noticed, that some people who are more academically minded than others think this makes them far better people than those who maybe arn't so bright academically speaking but are better at creative subjects. its mearly an opinion
Yes, but I was just wondering why you chose to say 'maths and sciences', rather than any academic and respected subject. I've found that only a minority of people think themselves better than others, and I can't see any difference between students studying primarily sciences and primarily arts. But fair enough, if it's an observation.
Arrrgh
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
What i find pretty stupid is that if media studies is regarded as a "mickey mouse" subject then why do colleges/universities offer it as a course? Why waste people's time by offering a subject you can't get very far in?
Joanna May
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Arrrgh)
What i find pretty stupid is that if media studies is regarded as a "mickey mouse" subject then why do colleges/universities offer it as a course? Why waste people's time by offering a subject you can't get very far in?
A lot of the top universities don't offer it as a degree. Obviously some do, but looking at the universities that come up when you search 'media' on UCAS, the ones that do offer it are lower down the league tables. Obviously there's some exceptions, but that's the general trend. And a lot of these universities are ones which, in my opinion, are exploiting people who simply aren't made for academic learning and would be better off getting experience. That's a different matter though, so we won't venture there

Personally, I see media as a degree as quite a waste of time, simply because you'd be far better off getting a job and starting to work your way up the career ladder. I looked into working within the media, and everywhere I looked said they valued experience far more than any study of media.

Also, I've never been to a media lesson in my life and got an A on a paper the media teacher set us 'to prove media is harder than people think'.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With no certainty that exams next year will take place, how does this make you feel?

More motivated (84)
31.46%
Less motivated (183)
68.54%

Watched Threads