My study level is... A-level (A2)
Falmouth Uni Games Academy (Computing)
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hello Tengri,

Welcome to TSR!

I see that you have an interest in games development. Are you working on a game at the moment?

With Regards,
Michael
Tengri
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hey Michael!

Thanks for asking!

I’m working on an interactive novel in a fantasy setting with a friend of mine. It’s sort of on hold until summer because of all the A levels, but I am still coming up with ideas in the story to make every encounter interesting or funny.

https://www.choiceofgames.com/

Gave me the inspiration and engjne for it. I encourage you to take a look and try some of the games. Most of them give you the first couple chapters for free.

-Tengri
Falmouth Uni Games Academy (Computing)
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Tengri)
I’m working on an interactive novel in a fantasy setting with a friend of mine. It’s sort of on hold until summer because of all the A levels, but I am still coming up with ideas in the story to make every encounter interesting or funny.
Awesome - great to read that you're getting stuck in.

I look forward to seeing what you and your associates come up with after you complete your exams. Let me know once you've made some progress!

I cover cybertexts in some of my classes; I'm a fan of stat-heavy interactive novels like Long Live the Queen.

I haven't used ChoiceScript before. Though, being based on JavaScript, it is quite a nice entry point. I tend to use Ren'Py instead as I like to encourage my students to extend its capabilities using Python code.

With Regards,
Michael
Tengri
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Long Live the Queen looks very interesting, although the key difference between those interactive novels is the presence of illustrations. Choicescript is preferable to me since I can imagine what the characters look like (using the detailed descriptions in the text) which makes the experience a little more personal for me.

It is a little more like books and that is why I had the idea to maybe sell the interactive novels to schools so students can read in an interactive way. Many schools try to make their students read, but the reason why it bores many people is the absence of any choice or control over a character’s actions. I do think that students playing through these games multiple times, comparing endings or skill points can be the way to bring back reading as a thing. It certainly made me read a lot more. What do you think?

Also about Choicescript, I find it to be a great challenge but still simple enough for someone like me who has almost no experience in coding. Of course there isn’t much else I can do with my (mediocre) knowledge of it, but the logics and bugfixing skills are very useful. I think it would be excellent for a GCSE or an A level course in game development. Maybe in the future, right?

-Tengri
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (101)
67.79%
No I haven't decided yet (28)
18.79%
Yes but I might change my mind (20)
13.42%

Watched Threads