The Student Room Group

Aqa A level Psychology paper 1, 2, 3 predictions 2018

Scroll to see replies

Original post by HSA18
Hii do you have any predictions for Sociology papers too?

I'm going to look at them later today :smile:
For paper 2 I will only look at family and beliefs though.
But globalisation is a big potential, teachers think it is going to come up somewhere, but think it will likely be in crime, since it didn't appear in education.
Reply 181
Original post by minivampire
I'm going to look at them later today :smile:
For paper 2 I will only look at family and beliefs though.
But globalisation is a big potential, teachers think it is going to come up somewhere, but think it will likely be in crime, since it didn't appear in education.

Okiee, do let us know what you come up with 😊
As a summary;
The majority of people I've seen are saying -
Bio rhythms as a possible 16 marker
Comparison as a possible 16 marker
- You never know, we did have three 16 markers on paper 1...

And we will be tested on more research methods, which will be scattered in bio and approaches.

*I hope fight and flight comes up! :smile:
please if anyone has an decent biopsych notes can you share them with me? i am going to fail paper 2 - i cant even do approaches - and biopsych is a joke (especially the biological rhythms everyone thinks is going to appear!!!! kms)
Does anyone have any tips/guidelines or examples of how to structure your answer for the 9 or 12 marker at the end of research that's usually like "design a study"?
Does anyone know how I would answer the Q: "Explain the emergence of psychology as a science" (12)
Original post by rdlewiss
Does anyone know how I would answer the Q: "Explain the emergence of psychology as a science" (12)

I never knew it could be a 12m, but I've done it as a 6m

Psychology was originally part of philosophy, it tries to understand the reasons for human behaviour through reasoned argument and discussion. In the 18th century, Locke argued that dependable knowledge could only be obtained through senses implying that it is subjective, one way to make it scientific on whether it was true for somebody else would be to conduct a sample for a wider population rather than using one person’s subjective experience. making way for scientific psychology. This was further explored through introspective methods used by Wundt in the 19th century but this lacked objective proof and replicability which led to psychology focusing on things that can be seen by others, mainly behaviour. This is known as empiricism (experimentation) then became an important part of this subject.

Hopefully this helps :smile:
Original post by Angelic Charm
I never knew it could be a 12m, but I've done it as a 6m

Psychology was originally part of philosophy, it tries to understand the reasons for human behaviour through reasoned argument and discussion. In the 18th century, Locke argued that dependable knowledge could only be obtained through senses implying that it is subjective, one way to make it scientific on whether it was true for somebody else would be to conduct a sample for a wider population rather than using one person’s subjective experience. making way for scientific psychology. This was further explored through introspective methods used by Wundt in the 19th century but this lacked objective proof and replicability which led to psychology focusing on things that can be seen by others, mainly behaviour. This is known as empiricism (experimentation) then became an important part of this subject.

Hopefully this helps :smile:

omg perfect!! thank you so much, life saver! If it was a 12m I guess you could evaluate ie. focuses on non observable behaviour, subjective etc. thanks a million! x
I think the biological approach or the cognitive approach will be the 16-marker for Approaches, or alternatively a comparison between two or overall, with regards to a certain factor(s) (e.g. like how deterministic they are or what nature/nurture stance they adopt); for a 16-marker like the latter, try to slot in how many psychologists today take a multidisciplinary/eclectic approach, and so the differences between the approaches do not matter so much.

I'm hoping for circadian rhythms with a Biopsychology 16-marker. Scanning technique questions will either be an MCQ, or a 5-marker or below, since it was an 8-marker last year. Plasticity/FRAT may be a 16-marker too.

I feel referencing and/or the different sections of a psychological report may come up in RM on Paper 2, or if not, on Paper 3.

For Paper 3, we at least know if there is a 16-marker for Addiction, it won't be on the cognitive approach - so could literally be on anything else. For Schizophrenia, any long question won't be on antipsychotic drugs or family dysfunction (narrows it down a bit more). For Cognition and Development, it won't be on Baillargeon (I have a feeling it may be mirror neurons...).

Let's just hope for a good paper - for 2 and 3.
Original post by Sycaphore
I think the biological approach or the cognitive approach will be the 16-marker for Approaches, or alternatively a comparison between two or overall, with regards to a certain factor(s) (e.g. like how deterministic they are or what nature/nurture stance they adopt); for a 16-marker like the latter, try to slot in how many psychologists today take a multidisciplinary/eclectic approach, and so the differences between the approaches do not matter so much.

I'm hoping for circadian rhythms with a Biopsychology 16-marker. Scanning technique questions will either be an MCQ, or a 5-marker or below, since it was an 8-marker last year. Plasticity/FRAT may be a 16-marker too.

I feel referencing and/or the different sections of a psychological report may come up in RM on Paper 2, or if not, on Paper 3.

For Paper 3, we at least know if there is a 16-marker for Addiction, it won't be on the cognitive approach - so could literally be on anything else. For Schizophrenia, any long question won't be on antipsychotic drugs or family dysfunction (narrows it down a bit more). For Cognition and Development, it won't be on Baillargeon (I have a feeling it may be mirror neurons...).

Comparing approaches seems like such a hard thing and humanistic or psychodynamic approach are fairly easy ones but they have already asked I think?

I would love the biological approach as an essay for approaches - either that, behaviourist or psycho as they're my strongest areas.
Kinda hate comparison essays...but if we can choose I think I'd be fine...hopefully.

I hope bio rhythms comes up now! But yeah if anything circadian rhythms is my best area!

Kinda feel it won't be so bad. We did just have three essays to do, where loads of people have complained about it (could have been worse...4).
Original post by dannydevil117
Comparing approaches seems like such a hard thing and humanistic or psychodynamic approach are fairly easy ones but they have already asked I think?

Humanism was asked about on the 16-marker last year, meaning it may not appear this year or be part of a lower-mark question (i.e. 'outline how Mark, with reference to the item above, could achieve congruence' for 4 marks). Psychodynamic was asked in a 4-marker, and so was biological.

Cognitive and behaviourism didn't appear at all, so those are the likely bets for a 16-marker in my eyes, although I could be wrong (I was with what I predicted would be the 16-marker for Psychopathology), and those could be asked on lower markers, with psychodynamic and/or biological upgraded to a 16-marker.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by minivampire
I would love the biological approach as an essay for approaches - either that, behaviourist or psycho as they're my strongest areas.
Kinda hate comparison essays...but if we can choose I think I'd be fine...hopefully.

I hope bio rhythms comes up now! But yeah if anything circadian rhythms is my best area!

Kinda feel it won't be so bad. We did just have three essays to do, where loads of people have complained about it (could have been worse...4).

I kinda struggled with the three essays, although all down to me. The Attachment 16-marker was manna, while I struggled with the Psychopathology one as I hadn't fully revised the cognitive approach to treating depression (the worst possible 16-marker that could've come up!), and lost track of time with the Social Influence one (I skipped it, and almost forgot about it so rushed it).

I know now that I should really go through the paper as chronologically as possible, doing the 16-markers as they appear so I don't forget about them! I'm also using that ethos of doing questions chronologically with Geography; I have my second and last exam on that Friday afternoon. I copied with a Psych and Geog exam both on the same day on Monday quite well - just over an hour's break in between - but now know I shouldn't be complacent with my timings as I was in them (that is, thinking I have loads of time, and then time going over so fast I don't realise I don't have much left!) in my remaining four exams.
Download the aqa psychology year 2 app
Original post by dannydevil117
Ah I'll take your word for it, never been taught it in school and how do you compare approaches for 16 marks?

Yep it is on the specification :smile:
I kinda struggled with the three essays, although all down to me. The Attachment 16-marker was manna, while I struggled with the Psychopathology one as I hadn't fully revised the cognitive approach to treating depression (the worst possible 16-marker that could've come up!), and lost track of time with the Social Influence one (I skipped it, and almost forgot about it so rushed it).

I know now that I should really go through the paper as chronologically as possible, doing the 16-markers as they appear so I don't forget about them! I'm also using that ethos of doing questions chronologically with Geography; I have my second and last exam on that Friday afternoon. I copied with a Psych and Geog exam both on the same day on Monday quite well - just over an hour's break in between - but now know I shouldn't be complacent with my timings as I was in them (that is, thinking I have loads of time, and then time going over so fast I don't realise I don't have much left!) in my remaining four exams.

I did the essay questions last and managed to finish on time. But then again, I do have 25% extra time. I just find that my timing on essay questions are terrible lol
Would infradian/ultradian rhythms come up on their own or do they always come together?
Reply 197
Will paper 2 always have 48 marks for research methods and 24 marks for each of the other 2 or can this change between years?
Original post by PTAPA1
Will paper 2 always have 48 marks for research methods and 24 marks for each of the other 2 or can this change between years?

It is always the samd, but you might get research method questions in the bio and/or app section too...they did it last year
Original post by rdlewiss
Would infradian/ultradian rhythms come up on their own or do they always come together?

You can get asked about them separately, but I would say as a big marker you wouldeither get asked about them both together -just because of evaluation points. Or a question overall, or just on circadian.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending