Self-esteem, anxiety and depression at university Watch

Qwertyu12348
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I’m sitting here in my bed ill thinking about the detriment I feel that uni life has done for me and thinking whether my future which I’ve always been so sure about, is worth anything. Since joining uni I’ve met a group of people who Have made me feel so self conscious and depressed that it has taken a toll on me. I’ve always suffered with anxiety and always had confidence issues and I feel the group of try hard “lads” has really made me suffer. I feel very self conscious and lonely most times and I don’t think I’ve ever had such worthless “friendships” in my life. Before uni I was loud l, talkative caring and not at all judgemental. However since joining I’ve been severely depressed and anxious and feel like I’ve lost all communitive skills i used to have. I constantly feel disrespected with has completely removed my self esteem also. Furthermore whenever I go home, the friends I used to have which were seen as brothers I now find very hard to speak to and joke around with making me feel even worse. An area in which I’ve become so insecure about it talking to girls and whether one would ever invest time or any energy on me. Sounds laughable from a 20 year old but it’s something I’ve correlated to the decline of my self esteem.
Anyways my question was does anyone know how to resolve such issues, as I’ve said I’ve always had anxiety/ self confident issues as well and I just wanna address how I feel right now because I’m tired of it to say the least.
Thank you
Percival_
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
hey dude, hang in there. Sound like a *****y situation, i read this really interesting article recently about how depression and anxiety don't always originate from our heads, but in fact, mostly come from our environment. if you fell like you friends are dragging you down, you could try and lift them up, and if that doesn't work, move onto a group of friends that makes you feel worth something. I always say friends are the family you pick for yourself, and i'm pretty happy with the ones i've found. Maybe a change up of people would be good for you. also little things like living in a urban area can make you feel more anxious and depressed. on a weekend go to the woods, take a walk, see some green in your life if you don't see it often. I hope your self esteem rises, i really do. My best friend has a low self esteem, he sees himself as a *****y good for nothing person. The fact he hasn't had a boyfriend yet adds to this quite a bit, but i always reassure him that he's more than what he thinks, and i'll try and do this for you. Honestly, life is really jumbled up and complicated when it comes to this time, im 17 and my mental health and anxiety levels have never been worse. But i look for something i want to achieve and work towards it, it keeps my mind off of other things. Like me and my best friend want to set up a business is America, so i've looked into it and researched what i need to do, and thats what i plan to do. I hope this helps in some way dude, all the best to you. Keep it real
Qwertyu12348
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Percival_)
hey dude, hang in there. Sound like a *****y situation, i read this really interesting article recently about how depression and anxiety don't always originate from our heads, but in fact, mostly come from our environment. if you fell like you friends are dragging you down, you could try and lift them up, and if that doesn't work, move onto a group of friends that makes you feel worth something. I always say friends are the family you pick for yourself, and i'm pretty happy with the ones i've found. Maybe a change up of people would be good for you. also little things like living in a urban area can make you feel more anxious and depressed. on a weekend go to the woods, take a walk, see some green in your life if you don't see it often. I hope your self esteem rises, i really do. My best friend has a low self esteem, he sees himself as a *****y good for nothing person. The fact he hasn't had a boyfriend yet adds to this quite a bit, but i always reassure him that he's more than what he thinks, and i'll try and do this for you. Honestly, life is really jumbled up and complicated when it comes to this time, im 17 and my mental health and anxiety levels have never been worse. But i look for something i want to achieve and work towards it, it keeps my mind off of other things. Like me and my best friend want to set up a business is America, so i've looked into it and researched what i need to do, and thats what i plan to do. I hope this helps in some way dude, all the best to you. Keep it real
Cheers mate,
I've tried lifting them up but its just never worked. I'm trying to mix up the people I'm with but it's hard interacting with new people when I feel like ****. Can you send me this article?
Thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of West London
    Undergraduate Open Day - West London Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 2 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (404)
18.58%
The paper was reasonable (1035)
47.61%
Not feeling great about that exam... (483)
22.22%
It was TERRIBLE (252)
11.59%

Watched Threads