Do I need a graphic calculator for economics university courses?

Watch
Eric The Great
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I plan to study pure economics. Is a graphics calculator allowed?
HoldThisL
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
They are allowed but if you don't own one a scientific calculator will be fine.
Eric The Great
Rep:
?
(Original post by HoldThisL)
They are allowed but if you don't own one a scientific calculator will be fine.
Wel, I have a TI84 Plus. Is it useful for such a course as I heard that pure economics is very maths intensive.
HoldThisL
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Eric The Great)
Wel, I have a TI84 Plus. Is it useful for such a course as I heard that pure economics is very maths intensive.
BSc economics contains more maths than a BA - look for modules like quantitative methods or econometrics.

Where are you studying? BSc Economics at Surrey is my insurance.
Eric The Great
Rep:
?
(Original post by HoldThisL)
BSc economics contains more maths than a BA - look for modules like quantitative methods or econometrics.

Where are you studying? BSc Economics at Surrey is my insurance.
Oh no, I’m still doing my a levels. I’m just wondering whether I should get a better graphics calculator that is on sale now. I don’t really want to waste money on something that I can’t use in uni in a year’s time.

I’m probably going to do Bsc, however, some unis that I want to apply to don’t do Bsc.
tatano
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Short answer: No.
I have a BSc and a Masters (both in econ) and I have never used a graphic calculator. In fact, in my undergrad we weren't allowed graphic calculators in exams. Learn to use matlab instead, a much better use of your time.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (15)
6.76%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (34)
15.32%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (38)
17.12%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (34)
15.32%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (59)
26.58%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (42)
18.92%

Watched Threads