The Student Room Group

Absolutely stuck

So I've been mulling over two choices. Glasgow or Exeter for history?

So before I get into it, I just wanted to apologize for any grammatical errors, typing on the mobile here is practically typing blindly.

I'm hoping to become a solicitor in the uk by doing the GDL or SQE (depending on what's gonna happen with this.)

Glasgow University
1. Location: Much more livelier and fun place than Penryn. However Penryn has a more homely and laid back feel.

2. History course: Both courses have very different modules and Exeter I think has the more interesting ones. So Exeter wins on that front.

3. I'm not really sure on the rankings between the two. Glasgow is generally higher on the league tables, but when it comes to history Exeter is much higher. So do general rankings matter more than specific subject rankings? Or is it just pointless to even discuss it.

4. Career prospects: As I stated before, my end goal is to become a solicitor. Scotland is the second best university for law in the UK. But I'm not sure whether that's specifically for Scottish law, so it's only appealing to Scottish firms or if it's seen favorably across the uk.
I remember reading Magic circle firms employ a lot more students from Exeter. But I'm not sure if that was reliable.

Would love some advice on this.
Original post by TheGreatAshby
So I've been mulling over two choices. Glasgow or Exeter for history?

So before I get into it, I just wanted to apologize for any grammatical errors, typing on the mobile here is practically typing blindly.

I'm hoping to become a solicitor in the uk by doing the GDL or SQE (depending on what's gonna happen with this.)

Glasgow University
1. Location: Much more livelier and fun place than Penryn. However Penryn has a more homely and laid back feel.

2. History course: Both courses have very different modules and Exeter I think has the more interesting ones. So Exeter wins on that front.

3. I'm not really sure on the rankings between the two. Glasgow is generally higher on the league tables, but when it comes to history Exeter is much higher. So do general rankings matter more than specific subject rankings? Or is it just pointless to even discuss it.

4. Career prospects: As I stated before, my end goal is to become a solicitor. Scotland is the second best university for law in the UK. But I'm not sure whether that's specifically for Scottish law, so it's only appealing to Scottish firms or if it's seen favorably across the uk.
I remember reading Magic circle firms employ a lot more students from Exeter. But I'm not sure if that was reliable.

Would love some advice on this.

why not apply for a llb initially?
Original post by claireestelle
why not apply for a llb initially?

My a level grades were not good enough. AAB.
Plus I genuinely enjoy studying history.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending