Sociology? Watch

amexo
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
I’m thinking of studying sociology at a level but I’m finding it hard to really understand what sorts of things I will be doing if I study it. Help would be appreciated, thanks
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
SnowyOwl2505
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Sociology is an interesting subject to study for A-Levels... So you’ll have your first year content which is split into 3 topics that must be learned for the first year (AS), they are as follows:
- Education
- Research Methods
- Families and Households

This is a social science subject which means that you will have to know the types of research methods such as experiments, documents, official statistics etc. However, every college/Sixth form teach the content differently... for example you may learn from watching YouTube videos, from a PowerPoint, through a debate, or a lecture where you will take notes on what is being said. In my opinion, the AS content is interesting!!!! Also, there will be memory involved as you’ll have to memorise key theorists and what they have argued or even put forward. My teacher says remembering the date is not really important as long as you know the name of the theorist and how they have contributed to sociology etc. Interestingly, you don’t really need to know each research methods in detail just memorise at least 3 advantages and disadvantages of that research method with a developed explanation and write them out in your exam. On your first paper which is the three topics listed above you will receive a total of 5 questions, 4 questions on education topic and 1 application question on a research method where an item will be provided and you will have to apply the knowledge you have learnt to the question.

I’ll be honest with you I’m not sure about the 2nd year content as I have not studied that far yet but I believe you will learn another set of research methods along with 2 topics that your college/sixth form centre choose for you...

Hope that was helpful👍
amexo
Rep:
?
(Original post by SnowyOwl2505)
Sociology is an interesting subject to study for A-Levels... So you’ll have your first year content which is split into 3 topics that must be learned for the first year (AS), they are as follows:
- Education
- Research Methods
- Families and Households

This is a social science subject which means that you will have to know the types of research methods such as experiments, documents, official statistics etc. However, every college/Sixth form teach the content differently... for example you may learn from watching YouTube videos, from a PowerPoint, through a debate, or a lecture where you will take notes on what is being said. In my opinion, the AS content is interesting!!!! Also, there will be memory involved as you’ll have to memorise key theorists and what they have argued or even put forward. My teacher says remembering the date is not really important as long as you know the name of the theorist and how they have contributed to sociology etc. Interestingly, you don’t really need to know each research methods in detail just memorise at least 3 advantages and disadvantages of that research method with a developed explanation and write them out in your exam. On your first paper which is the three topics listed above you will receive a total of 5 questions, 4 questions on education topic and 1 application question on a research method where an item will be provided and you will have to apply the knowledge you have learnt to the question.

I’ll be honest with you I’m not sure about the 2nd year content as I have not studied that far yet but I believe you will learn another set of research methods along with 2 topics that your college/sixth form centre choose for you...

Hope that was helpful👍
Thank you!!! That really helped
SnowyOwl2505
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by amexo)
Thank you!!! That really helped
No problem... I was once in a position like you but the only way I believe to overcome these fears is by speaking to someone...

I’m glad it’s been of use... wish you the very best in choosing your courses for the next phase of your life.

Do you have any sort of idea of what courses you would like to do?

If you need any help... let me know!

All the best...
amexo
Rep:
?
(Original post by SnowyOwl2505)
No problem... I was once in a position like you but the only way I believe to overcome these fears is by speaking to someone...

I’m glad it’s been of use... wish you the very best in choosing your courses for the next phase of your life.

Do you have any sort of idea of what courses you would like to do?

If you need any help... let me know!

All the best...
I have no idea yet, I’m a bit clueless really 😂
RubenRobinson
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Just don't leave your revision to the last minute, do it constantly over the 2 years
SnowyOwl2505
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by amexo)
I have no idea yet, I’m a bit clueless really 😂
It’s fine you shouldn’t be too worried as it does happen especially when you move from secondary school to college... What do you mean by clueless? Do you know where you would like to be in a couple of years?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of the Arts London
    MA Innovation Management Open Day Postgraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Department of Media, Culture and Language; School of Education; Business School Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (35)
11.15%
I used to but I don't now (11)
3.5%
No, but I want to start (113)
35.99%
No, I am unable to (69)
21.97%
No, I chose not to (86)
27.39%