The Student Room Group

Amber Rudd resigns as home secretary

Scroll to see replies

Diane Abbot was right in 2014 and should be the next Home Secretary.

https://twitter.com/HackneyAbbott/status/986685449585512448
Original post by Rinsed
Have fun with that.

Insults when you don't have the brains to come up with a decent response. :biggrin:
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Seeing lots of windrush poeple saying they see the blame with Theresa May. Hopefully this is not going to stop here. May is the next in the firing line XD. Can't use Amber as a scape goat anymore.

I agree with you. The 'hostile environment' policy was created by the Maybot to please her far right supporters both within and outside the Tory Party. Amber was involved but May is the brains behind it.
Original post by Doonesbury
And made a mess of that (e.g. B&B controversy) and was airbrushed out of the GE and passed over for the subsequent cabinet.

I have no idea why May picked him to lead her campaign.

I assume he was perceived to be loyal.
Apparently Gavin Williamson is one of the few MPs who agrees with May on enough stuff to be an ally. So unless there is another liberal like Rudd who is willing to play along it could be Mr Turantula :rofl:
A sacrificial lamb, typical human shielding and falling on her sword. Not much else to her
Reply 66
Not a fan of her by any stretch of the imagination but this is a pity, aside from the fact she did little wrong [arguably may is far more culpable than her] she was one of the only moderating influences on this extremist government.
S'alright. She's still a Minister at the GEO.
Original post by ThePricklyOne
I agree with you. The 'hostile environment' policy was created by the Maybot to please her far right supporters both within and outside the Tory Party. Amber was involved but May is the brains behind it.

May understood the fundamental truth about the Home Office, that as Charles Clark said, it wasn’t fit for purpose. She was all over it like a rash. Rudd wasn’t. Rudd said that she thought the Windrush cases were isolated examples not a systematic problem. This was a department where there had previously been locked rooms with thousands of immigration appeals that had just been left to rot. No politician had the right to assume that their civil servants knew what was happening or that they would tell the Minister if they did. The only way to survive at the Home Office was to become personally aware of every crisis as it developed. That is what May did. It is why nothing happened, because she had to personally approve every order of Bourbon biscuits, but it is how she survived six years.
Reply 69
Original post by ThePricklyOne
Given how racists the Tories are, what other reason would they keep a few BMEs? Are you suggesting that despite their 'hostile environment' policy (deliberately targetting non-whites), the poor Tories are actually misunderstood? :tongue:

Those 'BMEs'* joined the party entirely of their own volition, you know that right? You talk as if they are being held captive or something.

Spoiler

Reply 70
Bookies fav, Sajiv Javid gets the job.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-43946845
One can't help but think he got it because he's the only minority with experience
Original post by Jammy Duel
One can't help but think he got it because he's the only minority with experience

Seems a sensible appointment. Partly for the reason you mentioned but also he doesn't seem to have any mortal enemies in the party either. His Brexit position of 'i'm a leaver, no wait I support remain very reluctantly and definitely not as a favour to Cameron and Osborne' probably helps him too.
Since Amber Rudd has esentially resigned over misleading Parliment over whether she was aware of the targets or not probably means that nothing is going to really happen about the windrush stuff or the hostile enviroment. The issue is going to be made about the lieing and the implementationa and Rudd is going to be used as a human shield for some time to come. Plus Javid can just blame his predecessor.
Original post by Wōden
Those 'BMEs'* joined the party entirely of their own volition, you know that right? You talk as if they are being held captive or something.

Spoiler

Nowhere have I said that. Hard of reading??

I'm saying they're recruited to make the Tory Party NOT look like the racists that they actually are.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Since Amber Rudd has esentially resigned over misleading Parliment over whether she was aware of the targets or not probably means that nothing is going to really happen about the windrush stuff or the hostile enviroment. The issue is going to be made about the lieing and the implementationa and Rudd is going to be used as a human shield for some time to come. Plus Javid can just blame his predecessor.

Javid can try but he's just another human shield until the Windrush thing blows over. Then they'll get rid of him in a reshuffle and put Rees-Mogg or Johnson back in.
Somehow I don't feel sad for her.

Quick Reply